The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 10, 2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Super-Dave

Long magazine tube extensions.

For the people who have a magazine tube extension on their shotgun that is longer than the barrel, does the heat and flames from the barrel ever do any damage to the magazine tube extentsion?

How much longer can the magazine tube extension be before the blast from the barrel causes damage?

The reason I ask is that my +5 magazine tube extension on my remington 870 sticks out past the barrel and I am wondering if over time it will sustain damage from the barrel blasts.

George Orwell
Old June 10, 2009, 01:18 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am betting 2 inches is plenty fine. Beyond that I am not sure. Is it poly or metal?
Brent
Old June 10, 2009, 01:39 PM   #3
RoscoeC

Heat and flames aren't going to hurt it if it is steel, such as Choate, or Remington factory, or numerous others. My thinking is that it is going to have to be long enough for the pattern to open up enough for the shot to start hitting it before any real damage is done.

I just thought of a fun experiment. Wrap the extension with some heavy paper to form a "tube extension", if you will. You can then test it with different shot and chokes and answer your own question. I'm betting it would have to extend more than a foot beyond the end of the barrel before any significant damage would be detected. I'm going to try this on my next range trip. Should be fun.
NRA Life Member
Old June 10, 2009, 02:31 PM   #4
drail

Considerably more than a foot. The real problem is going to be weight and balance. You have to be realistic about extending anything on a firearm.
Old June 10, 2009, 03:10 PM   #5
inSight-NEO

From what I understand, a few inches past the muzzle wont hurt anything to any large degree. But, having said that, when using an extension I prefer to keep it just at or slightly behind the muzzle. This has less to do with damage concerns and more to do with balance and aesthetics.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.