The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 7, 2011, 03:33 PM   #1
kraigwy

OK I've seen it all now

A HR 218 Badge (LEOSA).

I thought you just needed your retired ID Card ( I do have a Retired Badge that came with my ID card when I retired).

But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, a HR 218 badge is now available.

I'm afraid if I got ask for an ID and presented this badge, I'd probably wished I filed off all the sharp edges first.

I thought CCW badges were silly but this takes the cake.

http://www.epolicesupply.com/hr218-n...badge-new.html
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 7, 2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Pbearperry

Being silly leads me to believe it will eventually become mandatory.
Old February 7, 2011, 04:13 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I'm afraid if I got ask for an ID and presented this badge, I'd probably wished I filed off all the sharp edges first.
I think you are right on filing that thing down. What's really scary is I'm sure they've sold a few.
Old February 7, 2011, 05:12 PM   #4
Yankee Doodle

Lay that on most of the guys I know, without real ID, and you might find yourself playing Monopoly,
"Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.00.
But, stupid is as stupid does, so they"ll probably sell a million of 'em.
Old February 8, 2011, 03:14 PM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, where there's a buck to be made... .

My F.O.P. Lodge presented me with a gold retirement badge when I retired and the City issued me an ID card that simply says "retired police officer". Shoot, there's not even any indication on the card that I'm staying current in my firearms qualification.

Fortunately, I know most of the guys on most of the area departments, but I often wonder what would happen if the issue came up out of my area.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 8, 2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Sulaco2

As to that retired carry I just found out that our dept is NOT offering quals to retired because the DOJ will not allow on line background checks for the year prior to qual for crimianl convictions and DV's. Apparenlty the DOJ does not think using the NICs system for retired is or should be an authorized use? So with out that clear background cause of the red tape loving Feds we can't qual to carry out of state after retirement dept does not want the legal liability....anybody else having this problem?
Old February 8, 2011, 08:26 PM   #7
armoredman

The other thing wrong with that "badge" is one title listed is Corrections Officer, and state COs who do NOT have general arrest powers like AZ DOC do NOT qualify under LEOSA.
Stupid idea, yeah, they'll sell a ton of them.
Old February 8, 2011, 08:32 PM   #8
GoOfY-FoOt

Sumter Co. Florida is holding their annual qualifying as required for the HR 218 this weekend, FYI...THey had a record of 250+ last year. I wonder how many will show this time?...
Old February 8, 2011, 09:29 PM   #9
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So with out that clear background cause of the red tape loving Feds we can't qual to carry out of state after retirement dept does not want the legal liability....anybody else having this problem?
Maybe not that specifically, but I'm also wondering: Exactly what credentials are required for an active/retired LEO to carry interstate?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 8, 2011, 10:21 PM   #10
kraigwy

Quote:
Maybe not that specifically, but I'm also wondering: Exactly what credentials are required for an active/retired LEO to carry interstate?
HR218 is clear on this:

Quote:
`(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified retired law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce

Quote:
`(d) The identification required by this subsection is--

`(1) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual retired from service as a law enforcement officer that indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the standards established by the agency for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm;
OR

Quote:
`(2)(A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual retired from service as a law enforcement officer; and

`(B) a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides that indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State to meet the standards established by the State for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.
Meaning all you need is: Your retired LE ID card, and proof of qualification.

Sulaco2, if your dept, wont qualify you for what ever reason, contact the Clackamas County Police (and public) range, (Thats in South Portland, just down the road from Seattle) they off a qualification for retired LE officers that will cover you
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 8, 2011, 11:50 PM   #11
mapsjanhere

Since it can be ordered "no leo credentials required", what's the point?
Old February 13, 2011, 10:49 AM   #12
DixieboyFL

Here in Florida, when a certified officer retires, the State of Florida honors them with their first Concealed Weapons License without any charge.

Thereafter you pay for just the renewals..............

"If you're gonna be dumb, you had better be tough"
"Wake up Americans, we are quickly losing our Country"