The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

I think I finally settled on a +P hunting load in 45 Colt...

Starline cases
CCI large pistol Magnum primers
H-110 powder
Hornady 250 grain XTP bullets

out of my custom 10" Contender barrel, I'm getting about 1475 fps...

group size is easily 10 shots in a 4" circle at 50ft with the Williams Fire Sights Ghost ring sights on the gun... I could have loaded hotter ... er um maybe ... but it already seems to make my knuckles bleed if I shoot it more than 20 rounds in one day... it wears a light weight set of composite grip & forend, & barks pretty good... I need to set up the trigger, this action was set up for target shooting, & the trigger is very light ( I actually touched off a round or two yesterday before I was fully ready for it, which adds a bit to the pain ) ... I think over 1400 fps with the XTP aught to drop deer just fine, if I do my part... I think I'm about ready for season...thoughts ???
Old October 5, 2009, 11:26 AM   #2
GeauxTide

Sounds like a great combo. I'm up to 1100fps with 275 FLN Cast in my Bisley. If you haven't considered a Bisley, you should. It's very easy to roll with the recoil and no bashed knuckles.
Old October 5, 2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Shoney

Quote:
Magnum Wheel Man wrote
group size is easily 10 shots in a 4" circle at 50ft
Are you sure about the numbers you post? 50' is just short of 17 yards????

You should be getting that at 100 yards.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old October 5, 2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

probably can... that is shooting through my chrony on the pistol range... & honestly, with iron sights I doubt I could put 10 shots in 4 inches with a rifle at 100 yards... at 50 yards, I'm quite confident I can put all shots into a dinner plate at 50 yards, with a typical field rest ( close to my max hunting distance where I hunt, with this gun )
Old October 5, 2009, 05:58 PM   #5
ligonierbill

Put a deer down? I guess. Seriously, if you're only looking for 50 yard shots, you don't need quite that heavy a load. And unless I'm mistaken (fairly common) XTP's are defensive rounds designed to expand quickly. I suggest rethinking your bullet selection to go for penetration, and back off the powder. Save your knuckles and shoot better. I'm sold on the "Keith" type hardcast myself, but each to his own. Bottom line: you will flatten any deer on earth with that round...assuming you shoot well.
Old October 6, 2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Sport45

Quote:
honestly, with iron sights I doubt I could put 10 shots in 4 inches with a rifle at 100 yards...
Try it someday and you may surprise yourself. I can hold 2" at 100 yards with my M1 and 2-1/2" with an Arisaka. My son can easily hold 1" with my AR, all with iron sights. The "trick", if you want to call it that is in the target. Use a target with the middle 6" blackened and use a 6 o'clock hold. The aiming bull will be about the same size as the front post.

The group sizes mentioned above are off of sandbags using M2 ball, 174gr RN, and 55gr FMJ reloads respectively. My groups open up quite a bit when shooting from a standing position.

If the 4" at 50' you reported was standing and unsupported then it is about on par with my handgun ability.
Old October 6, 2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

This is from Hornady...

Quote:
XTP Bullets feature a performance-improved point that has 6 precise folds to divide the bullet into symmetrical sections and initiate controlled expansion at low velocities while not fragmenting at higher velocities. They expand reliably at a wide range of velocities for a deep, terminal penetration with every shot.

Each XTP Bullet has a swaged core and drawn copper jacket to ensure uniform expansion and in-flight stability. Adding a cannelure to this bullet keeps the core and the jacket locked together while also allowing the cartridge case to tightly crimp, adding security at high velocities.
I have a 14" Contender in 45-70, that I can shoot 3/4" groups at 75 yards with a field rest... but it has a scope... as far as rifle shooting ( I did take an Appleseed coarse last summer ) I guess I have a couple rifles that would be capable of 4" groups at 100 yards with me shooting them, but from a prone position or from the bench...

I'm honestly not a terrific shooter, but I am trying to improve... not picking on anyone in particular...I but I really have thick skin for those that may make me feel "inferiour" ( there was a large group of shooters at the Appleseed I attended, that weren't any better shooters than I, when they actually had to prove it on the range )... I think on the internet seems like everyone but me are sharpshooters
Old October 6, 2009, 01:41 PM   #8
Sport45

Quote:
I think on the internet seems like everyone but me are sharpshooters
You aren't alone.