The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 4, 2009, 12:08 AM   #1
DanThaMan

Beretta Inox vs. Springfield Mil-Spec

I know, I know... these two guns are hardly in the same horizon of those to choose from. But I have been saving up for a new semi-auto pistol. I love both the 9mm and .45 auto rounds, and I love both the guns. Owning a model 92 beretta is a must for me, and I really like the Inox. Owning the beautiful 1911 Springfield Mil-Spec is also high up. My budget will allow one, which would you get for this upcomming season (I live in IL... can't shoot outside year round)?
Old March 4, 2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Lolgasm

never really been a fan of beretta, fired a few and they jammed at least 1 of ten rounds. granted they were older models and in my opinion beretta was not always known for making a quality gun. i like the look of the 1911 and i like a 45 cartridge. springfield makes an excellent weapon as well. i would take the springfield any day over the beretta but thats just my two cents
Old March 4, 2009, 12:38 AM   #3
Radioman

Well seeing as I own a Beretta and I am looking into 1911's I cant give a biased opinion. I would get the one that you want most right now
Quote:
Owning a model 92 beretta is a must for me
and then when the money comes up again get the other.

Seems kinda like you already answered your own question to me.

On the other hand you might want to give us an idea of what you already have. If one of these options is near to something that you already have the other might make for more enjoyment this summer as it will be something different.

Radio
Old March 4, 2009, 06:26 AM   #4
Homerboy

[QUOTE][never really been a fan of beretta, fired a few and they jammed at least 1 of ten rounds. granted they were older models and in my opinion beretta was not always known for making a quality gun. i like the look of the 1911 and i like a 45 cartridge. springfield makes an excellent weapon as well. i would take the springfield any day over the beretta but thats just my two cents

/QUOTE]

Your experience is the exception, not the rule. Was it a dirty range gun? Aftermarket mags? My two Berettas have NEVER failed to fire or jam at all. I have the INOX version and it is the one gun I would never sell. I would like a 1911 one day, but 1911's are known to be less reliable. Don't recall ever seeing a "gunsmith workover" for a 92, while they are common with 1911's. Ammo is way cheaper with the 9MM, too. Try and get the all INOX version, and not the one with the black controls.
Old March 4, 2009, 09:53 AM   #5
swedgon

I have 1911's and Beretta's. Odds are the Beretta 92 will be perfect right out of the box. The Springfield might need some work. Not knowing what handguns you now own or the intended use of the new one, I would go for the Beretta.

Alburt
Old March 4, 2009, 12:45 PM   #6
hdawson228

Just as an FYI; SA has an inviable reputation for customer service and warranty. I love my SA 1911 in SS. Flawless.
Old March 4, 2009, 01:13 PM   #7
RickB

If you're feeding the guns with factory ammo, you might want to get the Beretta based strictly on the cost of shooting it. I prefer guns that are proportional to their power, so the full-sized Berettas, bigger than a lot of .45s, aren't high my list.
Old March 4, 2009, 01:27 PM   #8
Delaware_Dan

The beretta is more likely to go up in price with the shift in power. I would get the beretta an a couple of extra mags while they are still somewhat affordable.
Old March 4, 2009, 01:47 PM   #9
starbuck

Beretta, hands down.
Old March 4, 2009, 04:10 PM   #10
batmann

I have had both a Berretta in 9MM and a Colt in Series 70. I found I liked the Beretta better.
A Beretta is much better out of the box than many examples of the 1911 out there right now. I have always had a problem buying a $700-$2000 dollar 1911 and them having to put MORE money in to to get it to run right.
Old March 4, 2009, 04:19 PM   #11
batmann

I have had both a Berretta in 9MM and a Colt in Series 70. I found I liked the Beretta better.
A Beretta is much better out of the box than many examples of the 1911 out there right now. I have always had a problem buying a $700-$2000 dollar 1911 and them having to put MORE money in to to get it to run right.

Tags
beretta , inox , mil , spec , springfield