The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 21, 2008, 08:15 AM   #1
rixret

Trigger Pull issues

I have a EAA Witness 10 mm match and a S&W 1911 Doug Koenig. The triggers on both of these are way to light for me. Can they be refitted with new triggers, springs etc ? I'd like to do this myself, I'm not too bad with tools
but I need to to know if there is anything special I should know. Any help is always appreciated and thanks in advance.
Old September 21, 2008, 12:01 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

1911 style guns have their trigger weight and feel governed by several factors, including the differing leaf spring tensions, which have to be balanced properly, and the sear and hammer hook engagement angles. If you haven't done this before, you need to do it under supervision or be prepared to go through several sets of parts as you learn. You may go through several sets even under supervision. Engagement angles in particular need special tools to be stoned correctly and not feel creepy. Your best bet it to go to a qualified pistol smith for the adjustment. If he can make the desired change with the spring alone, that's no big deal; maybe 15 minutes work with safety testing. If it requires reworking engagement angles it will take a good bit more time.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 21, 2008, 12:08 PM   #3
Alleykat

Another suggestion would be to sell the pistols to somebody who appreciates good triggers and use the proceeds to buy a basic Rock Island 1911 or three.
Old September 21, 2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

trigger

Alleycat, I agree- if his pistols don't "folow" most people would give their eye-teeth for them.
But he just has no option as you say without training.
I recently had a Caspian frame that I worked on for four days (part time) till I got a 5# trigger. That thing would go together with a 3# pull and with use would "grow" to 6#! Never saw anything else do it! I finally put a behlert hammer and a nice long sear (dressed) and got a good crisp 5# pull, very crisp. Couldn't understand it only it must have been the distance between the hammer and sear holes! It was factory drilled and tapped on the dust cover for a Caspian mount and I got it for some milling work. I think it was a "factory second" frame possibly - it's fine now and I carry it!
The only thing I can think of where he could do almost no harm would be to increase the bend inward on the sear/disconnector spring - hence the trigger bow. Also, increasing the inward bend on any of the two left springs would likewise increase trigger pull but I'm like you, I wouldn't say for anyone not familiar to try it.
Harry B.
Old November 5, 2008, 07:41 PM   #5
rixret

Hey Guys, sorry about the late get back. Thanks for your input/help. I think that the best solution is to sell it, like you suggest. I have it on ZIdaho .com for now, locally. Once again, Thank You.