The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 16, 2013, 10:53 AM   #1
win-lose

Boycott NY?

Thinking out loud here...

I can think of no better way to affect change than to affect the wallets of those capable of making change. A national boycott of all things NY: Tourism, Services, Manufacturing, etc.... Once business starts dropping off, these politicians will be made painfully aware that their grab went too far.

btw, as a small business owner, I shudder to suggest this, but I am at a loss for a viable solution.

Thoughts?
Old January 16, 2013, 10:57 AM   #2
terzmo

would be like getting people to boycott gas
Old January 16, 2013, 11:09 AM   #3
win-lose

Quote:
would be like getting people to boycott gas
Perhaps.... I do need gas. I don't necessarily need something made in NY. There are usually many alternatives which are produced elsewhere.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Boycotts almost never work. Besides which, the politicians who create these laws are the extreme left-wing ideologs. They couldn't care less who the laws effect or hurt or the reaction to them. They're heroes of the extreme left now. They've "done it" when no one else could.

The best thing anyone can do is work hard spreading the word to make sure that Cuomo never holds a national-level office of any kind and NYers, who don't pick up and leave, need to do their level best to make sure he and everyone who supported this nonsense is seeing their last terms in state offices.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

NY is a giant economic engine. If you propose a little piddly boycott which does nothing - it is worse than not doing it at all.

I understand the feeling, Gov. Cuomo or Mayor Bloomberg won't care if someone from some gun friendly state says he or she won't come for vacation.

Better to write your legislators or contribute to the appropriate organizations.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:19 AM   #6
MLeake

Boycott NY, no.

Oppose Cuomo or any Bloomberg-backed Presidential candidate, most definitely.

We need long memories over this one, folks, and we need to teach the antis a lesson next time at the polls.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:23 AM   #7
win-lose

Between the media control and the dependent masses, I don't see how NY will change course.

I'm not saying that a boycott would work, or that it is even a good idea.... it's just the best I've got (which is probably just a reflection of my own limitations).

If our position is held by too small numbers, than a boycott would not work. If we have significant #'s than maybe.... just maybe, it may work.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Ruthless4christ

Quote:
NYers, who don't pick up and leave, need to do their level best to make sure he and everyone who supported this nonsense is seeing their last terms in state offices.
This has been the message I have been communicating to everyone I call. We need to get militant about letting these traitors know that this will hurt their political careers.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:45 AM   #9
motorhead0922

The problem needs to be attacked at the source. If a restaurant owner puts a "no weapons" sign on his door, go ask him why and give him the facts. If he won't change his policy, tell him you'll eat elsewhere. This has helped sometimes.

In NY, the legislators are the source of the problem. Those who voted for the bans need to be approached and called on the carpet. I would suggest a "boycott" of them, by means of a recall election, if that's allowed in NY.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

I agree that boycotts are utterly useless.

If you're not a New Yorker, wait for the lawsuits and donate to those.
Old January 16, 2013, 02:55 PM   #11
win-lose

I was born and raised in NYC.... I spent most of my adult life there until just a few years ago. The socio-economic/demographic distribution of the state does not bode well for a change in direction, but more likely, an acceleration of the current trend.

I am not convinced that a boycott will work, but, I am convinced that people vote their wallets and act to protect their assets.

So, while I may not be able to cast a ballet in NY, I will vote with my money and will not let my money fuel the current regime. If large accounts of affluent NY companies did the same, the politicians would be more receptive.
Old January 16, 2013, 03:15 PM   #12
rajbcpa

I have lived in NY +40 years. There are 5 liberal democrates registered for every republican.

The communist New York Times editorial page is bible to most NYers.

Changing their view on the world - including gun control, is HOPELESS.

I'm moving out of NY in a few months.
Old January 16, 2013, 03:34 PM   #13
alex0535

Wouldn't this all just negatively effect a lot of people that had very little to do with politicians that believe criminals actually obey laws.

Any gang member that wants a 30 round magazine or any gun for that matter will be able to obtain it, somebody knows somebody that can get them anything they want.
Old January 16, 2013, 03:54 PM   #14
win-lose

Quote:
Wouldn't this all just negatively effect a lot of people that had very little to do with politicians that believe criminals actually obey laws.
That is the point... to force people to have "skin in the game". Let them go to to their reps saying that they have lost 50% of their business because their clients "refuse to do business with states that do not respect the constitution" or something to that affect.

If large enough a boycott could be effective, though clearly I'm a minority in this thread, which doesn't bode well for action.
Old January 16, 2013, 04:47 PM   #15
testuser

I guess I'm the only one that's going to speak up for a boycott. It may or may not work, but I'd feel a lot better if my dollars didn't go there. I was thinking about a visit, but now we're planning a visit to Tennessee or Florida instead.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:13 PM   #16
JWT

I worked in NYC for several years. Have absolutely no desire to go back there or any place else in the state for that matter. The folks in the rural areas are being force to comply with edicts from downstate (New York City). Unfortunate.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:14 PM   #17
JWT

Worked in NYC for several years and have never had any desire to return. Now I have even more reason to avoid the place.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:23 PM   #18
Glenn E. Meyer

Anything else to say beyond you don't like the place?

Not productive.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:37 PM   #19
stu925

I think a boycott is a good idea but I would take it one step further, I'd like to see Remington pull out of Iliion and all manufacturers of AR style rifles dump their NYS government contracts. Much like Barrett did when CA banned .50 caliber rifles. I think Colt has the lion's share of NY contracts so that would be a good place to start. Glock could dump their contracts too but I think that's unlikely since the NYS Police are one of the few Departments keeping the .45 GAP alive. I'd also like to see ammunition manufacturers dump their NYS contracts too, Federal would be a great place to start here. Maybe when the state police can't get ammunition or firearms the state government will rethink their position. Especially the Governor since he's protected by the state police.

Stu
Old January 16, 2013, 06:00 PM   #20
sigcurious

To those in favor of a boycott...Do you understand the scope of the NY(NYC) economy? NYC is the largest economic center in the US and second or third largest in the world.

Do you really think any realistic boycott would be anything more than a drop in an extremely large bucket?
Old January 16, 2013, 06:04 PM   #21
Glenn E. Meyer

Companies that make large sales to state and local agencies aren't going to the boycott a state. NYPD has tens of thousands of Glocks.

Imagine how much ammo they buy compared to what you buy.

I do think the companies moving are a good idea and why don't you e-mail them to do so.

Barrett was a special small case.
Old January 16, 2013, 06:13 PM   #22
Yankee Doodle

Yes, as a NY State resident, I think a well carried out boycott would work. Any action taken by a public official that results in lost profits for the major companies will have a decided impact on that officials political future.
So, I for one, will immediately stop making any purchases from any major retailers in New York State.
I have already closed my accounts at 7 major chains, and notified them that I have done so to prevent NYS from getting any of my tax money from them.
Spit in the ocean, possibly. But it's all I can do at this point.
Keep in mind that a politicians main concern is not the people he is supposed to represent, but his chances of being re-elected.
I, for one, will do everything I can to reduce his political clout and funding. If this means doing all my shopping out of state, it's worth the effort.
Old January 16, 2013, 06:16 PM   #23
SIGSHR

I think boycotting New York by withholding tax dollars would be more effective.
Old January 16, 2013, 06:22 PM   #24
sigcurious

Quote:
I have already closed my accounts at 7 major chains, and notified them that I have done so to prevent NYS from getting any of my tax money from them.
Did you cash in your retirement accounts/pension/majority of financial instruments and close your bank account too while you're at it?
Old January 16, 2013, 07:04 PM   #25
BGutzman

Quote:
To those in favor of a boycott...Do you understand the scope of the NY(NYC) economy? NYC is the largest economic center in the US and second or third largest in the world.

Do you really think any realistic boycott would be anything more than a drop in an extremely large bucket?
All to true, but still it is the gesture that counts... I avoid California as far as practical for the same reason... I do try to make conscious choices. The sting may go un-noticed but its still real dollars..