The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 18, 2011, 07:53 PM   #26
oneounceload

Glocks suck for pocket carry - even the G26 does print in cargo shorts, and it is too heavy

pocket carry re quires something smaller
Old April 18, 2011, 07:58 PM   #27
Seaman

Glockfan35 ---

Whatever works for you is OK by me.

For me, revolvers are quicker out of the holster than a semi-auto pistol. Especially if ambushed i.e. perp jumps out from behind parked car, etc.

BTW, I've been known to ankle carry the Bodyguard too, but that means there's another one IWB.

"I have much more trust in a 9mm Glock than I do in a .38 revolver."

I'll take the 38 spl 158 gr slug over the 9mm pill anyday.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Seaman; April 18, 2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old April 19, 2011, 07:22 AM   #28
zombieslayer

I prefer to shoot/carry semiautos, but my revolver is just so comfortable, easy to conceal, and quick to draw. I love my S&W 640.
For pocket carry, nothing larger than my LCP. I can't even imagine trying to stuff a double-stack in my pocket.
Old April 19, 2011, 07:34 AM   #29
TailGator

With the improvements in both firearms and ammo in the last couple of decades, I have moved away from revolvers. I know this is sacrilege to some, but I currently don't own any revolvers.
Old April 22, 2011, 01:54 AM   #30
Andy Taylor

In response to Glockfan35

"you open carry, why limit yourself to a snubbie? My personal choices for a revolver in open carry would be the following:
1. Colt Official Police
2 Smith&Wesson M&P
3. S&W .357 w/ a 4" bbl. (The Ky. State Police used to issue these, I can't remember what the model no. was)
In autos:
1. Glock 17
2. Glock 22
3. XD45
4. S&W 1076
5. Remington-Rand 1911
6. Glock 20
7. Ruger SR9 or SR40
8. M&P40 or M&P9"

Don't believe I mentioned either open carry or snubbies in my post. Simply stated that I am currently carrying revolvers mostly, but may go back to autos in the future.

In fact, I find that snubbys only fill the "pocket gun" nitch for me. I have a M342Ti that I regularly pocket carry. I also CCW regularly in a belt holster a 3" SP101(some might consider it a snub, I do not) and a 4" Colt Trooper in either a belt or shoulder holster, depending on the need at the time. As I am only allowed 3 guns on my CCW, this completes what I regularly CCW. I may carry others when out of state and using a less restrictive non-resident permit.

I have open carried occasionly while traveling in states that allowed it when I was not able to legally CCW. I have carried a full size auto or revolver for this roll.

I have also open carried while working as an armed security officer. Mostly carried a Sig P220 for this, but have carried a 5" 1911, Browning High-Power, 4" M10, 4" M19, 4" M25 (.45 Colt), and a 6" M25 (.45 Colt). That's right, for 2 years, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, I open carried a 6" N frame. So you see, I do not limit myself to snubbies.
Old January 3, 2012, 02:07 PM   #31
GunByte

As another old timer I will put in my two cents. Over 42 years of shooting I have never had a revolver fail me. However, not counting the 6 semi autos that I have owned for the last year with only a few hundred rounds through them, all past semi autos I have owned in the past have failed to fire on several occassions and they were top name guns. May not be the gun's fault. Could be the ammo, mag or maybe limp wristing (although that is unlikely with a man of my size and the way I grip my guns) but the fact is that whatever the reason, they are more prone to not fire when you need them than a revolver and like many others with personal experience I can only go by what I exeperienced in my life.

I have had all the popular semi carry guns over the last two years and what I carry the most is a S&W 632 Pro 2" .327 Federal Magnum. The round has fantastic ballistics and is very controlable to the extent that the snub nose has real dot and post tritium/fiber optic sights on it. I also sometimes carry a S&W 642 when I need something lighter.
Old January 3, 2012, 09:37 PM   #32
orionengnr

More thread necro...
Old January 5, 2012, 11:28 AM   #33
drail

Years of selling, repairing, building custom 1911s and other semi autos have proven to me that for serious defensive use a revolver is the way to go. I love my semi auto race guns and will never part with them but for the real world I will never trust one 100%. The list of how many things that can cause a semi auto to fail versus a revolver leaves little to consider. You would not believe how many times I have watched semi auto pistols choke or stop working in the middle of a match. I also really like the fact that I can load any type of ammo of any bullet weight or shape in my revolver and it will fire every time and it doesn't throw brass everywhere. Large capacity magazine fed guns are highly overrated for CCW. IMO.
Old January 5, 2012, 01:00 PM   #34
ltc444

I carry any number of pistols and revolvers. For formal occasions I carry my DW 15 with the 4 inch barrell buffed and spit shined

For serious social occassions I carry my 97 year old GI 1911, it has never failed me.
Old January 5, 2012, 05:11 PM   #35
Laker

I'm old,and grew up with revolvers so that's what I carry. Usually a 3" Ruger Sp101.
Old January 5, 2012, 10:07 PM   #36
B.N.Real

Small frame revolver-right now a Taurus Ultralight 85 38 special-I like mine alot but one day maybe a 642/442 and way in the future,I see a Smith M&P40c in my future.

I picked a M&P40c up in a gunshop over a year and a half ago and simply can't get out of my mind just how nice the grip contoured perfectly to my hand and it actually fit in my pocket too-like an encyclopedia but it fit.
Old January 6, 2012, 07:36 PM   #37
Stevie-Ray

Autos always, primary and BUG.
Old January 6, 2012, 08:44 PM   #38
sgms

I select based on what works best with what I am wearing and where I'm going, that determines what I carry wheel or self loader. With exception of pocket carry I do keep whatever I'm carrying in the same place(about 5:00) be it rev., bottom feeder, full sized, or snub/compact, OWB or IWB. Keeps all the practice near the same. Really don't what to need it and grab for 5:00 and have a shoulder holster on that day. That can make a bad day a really rotten one.

Tags
automatic , ccw , curiosity , edc , revolver