The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 8, 2002, 09:54 AM   #1
[email protected]
Wise Guy

IDPA - Why are the tough shots easy, and the easy shots all over the place?

Got back from my second IDPA local match on Saturday and did my own little AAR on my performance... besides the obvious "I need to get out and practice more", I realized that on the tough shots, I did great, but on the easy shots I was all over the place. That has me really puzzled.

For example, on shots where there was a shoot right behind a don't shoot, each on had hits in the exact center of where I was aiming. Two to the head, within 1", two to the COM, within 1". Even if the COM was literally half covered by the don't shoot target, my shots were in the visible portion, well grouped.

Yet, on the targets that were next to each other, without obstructions, in relatively easy locations, I was all over the place. Shoulder, head graze, groin, whereever.

I'm probably rushing my shots on the easy targets. Somehow I think I'm focusing on the target instead of the front sight. I dunno. Do I need some one on one time with a trainer?

Man, I wish there was an IDPA style range in Jax where I could go nightly to work on my skills.

Kevin
Old October 8, 2002, 11:14 AM   #2
Hamar

Scattered shots..

Your accuracy level on the tough shots tell me your watching the front sight. The scattered shots tell me your wanting to go faster than your ready to. Slow down and see that front sight on EVERY shot. Your speed will come in time. You may want to do some dry fire excercizes at home with an UNLOADED firearm. Set up a couple pie plates on either side of the room, Draw and dry fire on the first plate. Squeeze the trigger only when your front sight is in the center of the plate. Swing to the second plate and simulate the next shot again when the front sight is in the center of the plate. I know it's boring but it will help in a couple areas. One being, front sight focus and two, target acquisition.
Old October 8, 2002, 02:33 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Hamar is right. Plus, you are working to make the hard shots and probably blasting through the easy shots becuase you 'know' you can make them and so you go through them quickly and try to make up for time you feel you are losing on the hard shots. The result is that you do better on the hard shots and the easy shots make you look a little silly when compared back to the hard shots.
Old October 9, 2002, 12:17 AM   #4
Prodigalshooter

Good advice. I was doing real well in my last couple of matches and decided I could go faster. Well, added 20 points to Sundays' score! So much for speed! Truth is, I sacrificed sight picture for speed, not a good solution.
Before Sunday, I was relaxing and just getting a sight picture, it worked.
Back to the zen approach, speed will come on it's own. Check out some of Brian Enos' stuff, on his website or his books, the guy has got it down on the mental aspect.
I should add, I've only been in IDPA for about a year, in that time I've been all over the place, scorewise. Do best when not trying too hard!
Old October 9, 2002, 04:18 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

AGAIN

Accuracy takes precedence over speed.

Sight alignment trigger control...........
Old October 9, 2002, 07:15 AM   #6
Navy joe

To be the devil's advocate; If you are getting all A's then you are going too slow.

(0's for this game )
Old October 10, 2002, 05:02 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

JUST FAST ENOUGH

Agree, just like in real life.