The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 8, 2007, 10:38 PM   #1
Mike PT1911

Gun Handling

I feel that it is important to know the weapon(s) and ammo that may potentially save your life one day. I practice at the range when I get the chance, keep my gun as clean as possible and carry most of the time. However, how important is it to handle a firearm (unloaded)? In order to be completely comfortable with its weight and function. I've heard of guys who practice drawing a lot and others who don't give it a second thought once the weapon is placed back into the safe. I've also found some who love dry-firing quite a bit.

So, does anyone here have any thoughts or daily practices they'd like to share?
Old August 8, 2007, 10:57 PM   #2
TWB

I don't have a regimen that I use daily, but find that I go through phases of practicing different elements "dry", and then use it during live fire practice. For some reason, this works better for me.

Recently, this is drawing and front sight acquisition. Other elements have been done in the past. I don't dry fire without snap caps, and seldom dry fire at all. At this point, I'll move to reloads next.

Maybe this regimen is why I'm average, at best. Who knows? With a little luck, maybe I can go back to Gunsite sometime for a tuneup. (This place is worth its weight in gold.)

twb
Old August 8, 2007, 11:05 PM   #3
restlessnomad

I just purchased my first handgun a few months ago (G19). I've been to the range a handful of times already, however my biggest improvement in accuracy came after dry firing for a week, where I focused on my trigger work and my site picture. I've also gone through my house multiple times, "clearing" it and its made more comfortable with my firearm and has helped with my site picture as well. As soon as I get a decent holster (I bought a Kydex Uncle Mike's paddle holster and I don't really like it) I'll practice drawing as well.
Old August 9, 2007, 01:55 AM   #4
Bruxley

I do draw, move, fire in front of the mirror nightly. 10 minutes. Draw while moving left or right, relaxed weaver fire, move the opposite direction fire, re-holster, repeat.(dry firing, ammo in other room). The mirror is for a couple things, to make sure that I am practicing good 'form'. Correct hand, elbow, etc. position so I'm not slowly changing and practicing bad form. The other reason is sight acquisition/aim. You can see in the mirror if you are lined up when you pull the trigger and if you are pulling up, down, left, etc.

Short drill but alot of perishable muscle memory in that maneuver. And I feel that maneuver being 'automatic' is the best initial advantage when/if the time should come.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Old August 9, 2007, 09:12 AM   #5
JoeBlackSpade

Dry fire daily, from the draw, to moving, obtaining sight alignment and sight picture, to speed reloading with empty magazines, counting each round as you go.

8 minutes a day is all it takes, once you've acquired your basic skills, plus perhaps one day a month for 2-3 hours, ath a live-fire range, if you are unable to devote more time than that.