The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 20, 2008, 09:25 PM   #1
spikespeigel

Which way to move?

When out with family and approached by a BG, if the situation were to escalate, would you want to move away from your family while drawing/firing or would you want to move in front of them to place yourself between BG and family? I understand there are pro's and con's to both and so many scenarios we could go at it all night, but generally, what do you think?
Old September 20, 2008, 11:04 PM   #2
GLP Standard

Well, IMHO, based on the situation, I would move away from them and tell them to back away or run (depending on how serious the situation is)

After all, if it does turn into a gun fight, you don't want to be standing in front of your family. The whole "human shield" theory wont really be too affective. Trust me, theyll get hit too. The best thing to do is try and get on the other side of the perp to draw his attention away from your family as much as possible, while they back away and call 911, get help, pull out a light saber and sabotage the BG, etc. You know the perp isnt going to be shooting at your family when youre at a 90 degree angle of him and your family unloading into his chest...
Old September 21, 2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Threefeathers

Get where you can make the best shot fast. take the perp down. If you are hit it won't matter where you're were standing your family is toast.
Old September 21, 2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Tuckahoe

GPL Standard. Great Post!
Old September 21, 2008, 10:13 PM   #5
Dwight55

Adding to GLP's post, . . . which I heartily endorse, . . . I have read in the past that push come shove, . . . most pistol shooters have a harder time keeping up with a moving target if it is moving in the same direction as the strong side. IE: right handed shooters have a harder time keeping up with a target moving to their right than their left. The opposite is said for lefties.

I do not KNOW this to be true, . . . but I know it is harder for me, . . . and have therefore incorporated into my movement, . . . a quick assessment of the bg's preferred "hand" and therefore would in this scenario attempt to move away from my family in the direction that would cause him the greatest difficulty in following me.

The logic is that he would be at a greater disadvantage than I, . . . and hopefully I could pause or get to cover long enough to end the situation with one or more well aimed shots.

As usual, . . . this is only plan # 1, . . . subject to revision as the situation develops.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old September 22, 2008, 06:15 AM   #6
Keltyke

I would try to move QUICKLY (moving and drawing at the same time) to a position where my family wasn't in the line of fire, and I had a clear backdrop - no innocents standing behind the BG. I qualified with 47/50 COM and my carry piece now is more accurate than the one I used then. However, you must always be sure of your background before you shoot. Carrying a handgun is not only a right, it's a responsibility to use it wisely.

All that being said, if the SHTF fsat, then I'll do my best to take out the BG and not injure any innocents from whatever firepoint I have.
Old September 22, 2008, 06:38 AM   #7
DesertDawg

What Dwight55 said is correct, for I've done some practical research on sideways movements, as well as retreating vs. going forward.

It appears that the "strong hand" is less effective when shooting at targets that are moving in a direction away from the center of the shooter's body (i.e., a right handed shooter firing at something moving in the opposite direction....or, from the shooter's view, the target moving in a "right-bound" direction).

Additionally, the muzzle climb of most handguns and rifles tend to be upward and to the left....so, if the shooter tries to make a follow-up shot on something moving to their right, they will need to correct their horizontal positioning more so than if that something was moving to their left. This is somewhat prominent in full-auto weapons, when you see the "spray" of rounds on the target going upward and to the left, at least most of the time.

Bottom line? Have your loved ones run to THEIR left and away from the shooter while YOU drop down, unholster and take aim. If you can't find cover, you might need to prone out (Give some thought to that, for when you drop down to a kneeling position, that will also act as a momentary diversion AND will cause the BG to perceive that YOU are more of a threat to him than your loved ones that are running AWAY. If you can immediately prone out and shoot, YOU will be a smaller target for the BG)

Just remember....Your loved ones need to run to THEIR left, which will be to the BG's right.
Old September 22, 2008, 07:42 PM   #8
izzkidioto

I am going to say have the family move to cover or away while you take aim (and hopefully cover) and present yourself as the threat, thereby detracting attention away from them and decreasing the likelyhood that the BG will engage them.
Old September 23, 2008, 08:23 PM   #9
TripIII

Move quickly to the left.

With any luck the BG will jerk the shot to his left.
Old September 23, 2008, 08:30 PM   #10
Rich Miranda

Good post/question, spikespeigel! I never thought about movement relative to family, others. I'm glad I was here to benefit from the replies.
Old September 24, 2008, 06:44 AM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Get where you can make the best shot fast. take the perp down. If you are hit it won't matter where you're were standing your family is toast.
Ah, the cry of the lone hero about whom the world will falter should s/he falter.

If your family is toast because you have gone down, then you haven't done your job in preparing your family, have you? Do you not have a family plan of action? Do they not know what to do in a crisis?
Old September 24, 2008, 07:18 AM   #12
alloy

interesting thread.
Old September 24, 2008, 07:15 PM   #13
cschwanz

when ever i am walking with my gf, i always have her on my left, mainyl bc im rigth handed and want my right hand unobstructed in case of emergency. thei thread does have some good info. she is already on the left of me and easier for her/anyone else to move that way as i draw with my right
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old September 24, 2008, 07:42 PM   #14
Brit

Which hand to hold?

If it is a clear area stroll, parking lot for instance, yes right hand free, side walk? all change my Wife is close to wall.

Look the approaching people in the eye, and be prepared to move, real quick.

Not happy with how they look from a distance? vacate, change direction.
Old September 24, 2008, 07:47 PM   #15
Threefeathers

Of course you could hide behind your wife.