The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 18, 2012, 08:13 PM   #1
arizona98tj

My newest small revolver

This one is pretty small.....it's my new Sidewinder from NAA. They finally built one that that you don't have to take apart to reload.

More photos and information....

Old November 18, 2012, 08:18 PM   #2
skidder

Nice little Sidewinder!
I like how the cylinder swings out.

That looks like a handy little gun to throw in your pocket on a casual day out.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old November 18, 2012, 08:22 PM   #3
RJay

I have to admit , I like it.
Old November 18, 2012, 08:58 PM   #4
the rifleer

I bet its loud and hard to hold on to lol. I had the .22lr version pop out of my hand when i shot it once.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:03 PM   #5
arizona98tj

The .22 WMR versions, built on the magnum frame, are very easy to control. I also have a Pug, which is built on the same frame except for no swing out crane. It is anything but difficult to hold on to when shooting. It gets carried as a backup. I subscribe to the "two is one, one is none" concept.

It's difficult to say just how loud it is since I always shoot with hearing protection. I've ran the Pug over a chronograph. I recorded 934 FPS from 37 gr CCI ammo (5 shot average). The barrel length is the same for both of them so I would expect about the same performance.

Here is the Pug from the business end.....

Old November 18, 2012, 11:02 PM   #6
weblance

Well, now finally Im interested. I have always liked small, innovative handguns, and was always intrigued by the NAAs, but was never going to own one in the original configuration. I might just have to have one now. Thanks for sharing.
Old November 19, 2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Obambulate

I actually like the removable cylinder better. It is a cleaner, stronger design. If you want to consider the ability to reload, the Sidewinder *might* have an advantage...but really, if you're needing to reload your mini, then your day is likely ruined anyway.

Actually, replacing a spent cylinder with a fresh, FULL cylinder may be quicker than ejection and reloading of a swing-out cylinder.

I like the Sidewinder design and it is beautiful and collectable, but i don't see it as an improvement over the old design for purely self defensive considerations.
Old November 19, 2012, 04:33 PM   #8
1 old 0311-1

Where can I get a speed loader?
Old November 20, 2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Master Blaster 2

I am pretty excited as I got an e-mail today telling me that my pre-order Sidewinder 22Mag from NAA is being shipped today!!!
Great Christmas present and last gun I am getting for 2012.

Obambulate:
Just have to push on the ejector rod on the sidewinder and have the spent shells come out.

10rd strip loader:
http://item.brownells.com/categories...ort-17-hm2.htm

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; November 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:03 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

Nice little pistol! I've never shot one but they look interesting and I like the swing out cylinder. Being an "avid revolver guy" . . . I love 'em all!

Enjoyed the photo . . . now I'm waiting for the usual . . . "is five enough?". LOL

What is the general price range for these? Thanks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 20, 2012, 09:53 PM   #11
Obambulate

Master Blaster 2:

Thank you. I do know how an ejector rod works. My point was that, once the spent shells are ejected, you still have to reload 5 chambers. With the removable cylinder, the entire spent cylinder can be removed and a 2nd pre-loaded cylinder can be installed.

Neither method will win many gunfights. I just pointed out that the swingout cylinder may not be any faster to reload.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:02 PM   #12
Bob Wright

Forgive me for butting in, but a pre-loaded cylinder? I fail to see how that is practical. Seems to me the cartridges would have to be retained in some way in the process of carrying pouch-to-gun movement to prevent dumping any rounds during the loading process.

If one gets a little fumble fingered, the preloaded cylinder quickly becomes the unloaded cylinder.

Bob Wright
Old November 20, 2012, 10:06 PM   #13
Bob Wright

And, again I'm way out of my baliwick, but seems to me the cylinder has swung out the wrong side?

I'm accustomed to holding the gun in my left hand as I poke the cartridges into the chambers, then pushing the cylinder closed with the thumb of my left hand.

Bob Wright
Old November 20, 2012, 10:20 PM   #14
Captains1911

Yeah, i wonder why they designed it to have the cylinder swing out the right side.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:56 PM   #15
Creek Henry

I found out about the Sidewinder literally 5 min. after I won an auction on the take-apart-to-reload model. Oh well.

These guns are the loudest things I've shot... even louder than a .22mag derringer I used to have. Fun but hard to shoot well also.
Old November 20, 2012, 11:02 PM   #16
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obambulate View Post
I actually like the removable cylinder better. It is a cleaner, stronger design. If you want to consider the ability to reload, the Sidewinder *might* have an advantage...but really, if you're needing to reload your mini, then your day is likely ruined anyway.

Actually, replacing a spent cylinder with a fresh, FULL cylinder may be quicker than ejection and reloading of a swing-out cylinder.

I like the Sidewinder design and it is beautiful and collectable, but i don't see it as an improvement over the old design for purely self defensive considerations.
Would strength even be an issue? I would think the sidewinder would be plenty strong to hold up over time. Even with a high round count. NAA makes quality guns and I am sure this model will be strong enough.

It may not be an improvement to you, but I would put money down that the vast majority of people could reload this quicker than the standard, even with a preloaded extra cylinder.

I love my mini, but reloading is a hassle compared to a swing out. I have always wished they would make one with a traditional SA loading gate, but this is even better
Old November 21, 2012, 08:45 PM   #17
Master Blaster 2

Master Blaster 2:
Obamamulet:
"Thank you. I do know how an ejector rod works. My point was that, once the spent shells are ejected, you still have to reload 5 chambers. With the removable cylinder, the entire spent cylinder can be removed and a 2nd pre-loaded cylinder can be installed.

Neither method will win many gunfights. I just pointed out that the swingout cylinder may not be any faster to reload"

Why the Hello would you take a deep cover 22lr firearm to a gunfight? It is a back up revolver/derringer.

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; November 22, 2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old November 21, 2012, 10:21 PM   #18
Super Sneaky Steve

Looks great. I have a pug and it tumbles with every shot making only good as a belly gun.
Old November 26, 2012, 07:12 PM   #19
Master Blaster 2

Got my Early Bird Sidewinder today. Cute little gun. The serial # is EB03X. Now all they need to do is come out with the top break again.
Old November 27, 2012, 01:53 AM   #20
Chris9472

Nice little gun! I always wanted a NAA revolver.
I know it's only .22mag, but they'd be nice once in while for that hot summer day while wearing thin shorts.

Is your a lefty version, or is that the way the cylinder comes out? I don't know if I could deal with that.
Old November 27, 2012, 02:20 AM   #21
Bill DeShivs

Notice that all the Sidewinder pics don't show the ugly "hump" in the frame where the crane is attached?
Old November 27, 2012, 05:54 AM   #22
Master Blaster 2

Hump really not ugly. I am sure it there for strength & allow cylinder enough room to swing out. (The cylinder swings to the right because hand or pawl is on the left so it has to go right. That is direction all the cylinders in NAA guns come out on.)

LOL makes me think of the song "My Humps" by Black Eyed Peas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxHdVZ1nNCY

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; November 29, 2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old November 27, 2012, 11:11 PM   #23
Deja vu

Here is mine. It is the standard model in 22 short next to my BFR in 45/70. Both are 5 shot single action only revolvers.

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/2revolvers.jpg/][/URL]

sorry for bad quality... it was taken with a cell phone.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old November 28, 2012, 02:03 AM   #24
warningshot

I like MasterBlaster2's response to BillDashivis's 'ungly hump' location comment.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:08 PM   #25
kcub

Just picked mine up.

What ammo works best? Also my sidewinder has a long rifle cylinder as well.