The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2002, 08:53 AM   #1
branrot

P7M13 Question

My P7M13 has been jamming lately. After about 30 rounds, the slide starts to get stiff, and eventually it won't even open fully. I've been shooting reloads (my reloads; Hodgdon HP-38 powder), and am concerned that maybe some powder is getting into the gas system (the guy at the range told me the P7 didn't have a gas system... it has a gas system, right?). Is my speculation that the problem is with the ammo correct?

Yes, I know I should clean the gun (already did), and try it with factory ammo (have the ammo at home), but I'm not going to be at the range for at least 2 weeks (going out of town this weekend). Thanks for your help.
Old August 13, 2002, 11:55 AM   #2
sricciardelli

The P7M13 has a gas retarded inertia bolt...

If the factory ammo shoots okay, use a cleaner powder in your reloads...but I doubt it is the gas system causing the problem, since you stated that the slide is getting gunky...
Old August 13, 2002, 06:20 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Hey, branrot- - -

You said you'd been shooting reloads. You haven't been shooting lead bullet loads in your P7, have you? I have no personal experience with lead bullets in this pistol, but I've heard time and again that they really foul up the works.

Suggest you gp back over it and make certain that all fouling and lead residue is gone, and then try the jacketed ammo. The aluminum case Blazer ammo is available here about as cheap as I can handload 9 mm ammo. If you don't find this is the case, try purchasing 115 gr FMJ bullets in bulk and loading with about 5.5 of H. Univeral. Economical and clean.

That's a nice pistol, and I hope you can get it to working properly.

Best,
Johnny Guest
Old August 14, 2002, 02:04 PM   #4
branrot

No, my reloads are jacketed. West Coast Bullets. I'm going to give the factory loads a shot next time I go to the range.
Old August 14, 2002, 04:55 PM   #5
larryw

I've seen that happen on a friend's PSP as well. Dirty ammo, blamed on a bad batch of power by the manufacturer, was gumming up the gas piston. As the piston is attached to the slide, this was making it very difficult to rack. Further complicating the issue, once the gun cooled, the slide was 'glued' shut; he got it open and sent it to HK to make sure nothing was damaged.

P7 is a great gun, but in my opinion, the gas system is its Achilles Heel.