The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 14, 2013, 07:00 AM   #101
Brit

Quote:
We all applauded (and rightfully so) when Magpul pulled out of Colorado, but it appears that the economic impact had no influence on policymakers.
They have not moved yet, they most likely will.

They can not make 30 round magazines, can they? Every one in the plant is breaking the new law! They have to move.
Old April 14, 2013, 09:23 AM   #102
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
An organized boycott is to show that we are serious about the actions taking place. Yes, it is punitive but it's to show future law makers that there will be repurcussions if they vote for restrictive laws.
How will biting into the bottom line of a firearms company show hostile lawmakers their actions were wrong? Those same lawmakers would love nothing better than to see firearms companies suffer.

Quote:
They have not moved yet, they most likely will.
Ah, my bad. Still, the legislature and governor of Colorado don't seem fazed by the potential economic impact.
Old April 14, 2013, 10:05 AM   #103
larryh1108

Quote:
How will biting into the bottom line of a firearms company show hostile lawmakers their actions were wrong? Those same lawmakers would love nothing better than to see firearms companies suffer.
It's to show the companies that won't move that we don't agree with their position of feeding the coffers of anti-gun states. However, a simple press release expressing unhappiness and concern for the new laws goes a long way. If their corporate offices can't find the "need" to release a statement opposing the legislation, a move that will cost them nothing, then what message is being sent? It means they don't care.

If Magpul moving out of CO is a good and noble thing then how can silence and staying put in NY by Remington not be a slap in the face to gun owners?

These actions are too new to see if they are being taken seriously. Nobody has moved, no jobs have been lost. Nobody has been taken seriously because nothing has happened yet.

It bears repeating. States that want to court new businesses help subsidize the move. They offer cheap or free land, build the infrastructure, offer tax breaks for 5-10 years, subsidize the labor costs if unemployed or special need labor is hired and offer to help with moving expenses. I read that Remington was going to retool anyways so why not start in a brand new factory in TX or AR or TN?

This isn't only about Remington. It's about any company in the firearm related field to stand up for our rights as much as to their stock holders. Remington is front-and-center right now as is Magpul. 2 companies on opposite ends of the spectrum. We don't have many options in stopping the law makers in each state. We have to use whatever options at our disposal to show we aren't going to just lay down because they have the president on their side. I have no doubt that the president is offering states that pass this legislation certain government monies, grants, subsidies, etc that are discretionary now. He is buying their support because he can. How can we fight that? With our wallets and choices. Elections and where we spend our money is where we have the power. We have to use it.
Old April 16, 2013, 02:34 AM   #104
freedash22

Not saying I will boycott Remington, but I will just buy from everybody else who supports the 2A more vocally and more visibly than they do.

Between a company that takes giant risks to protect our rights (like Magpul) and one that doesn't appear to be doing anything extraordinary, it's an easy choice for me.
Old April 16, 2013, 01:10 PM   #105
lcpiper

Not so for me. It's easy to look only at the face of it and then get bent out of shape. But looking at it deeper you see it differently.

Remington is a name that has been sold and is owned by Freedom Group. Freedom group is a name owned for now, but being sold off by Cerberus.

Under these conditions I find it hard to take a company that is providing our US Special Forces and other parts of the DoD with winning weapons that can mean life or death for our best defenders and lightly consider the impact of the families of Remington and go hard on them when they may have their hands tied.

I can't do that.
Old April 16, 2013, 02:39 PM   #106
Metal god

OK for all you that say Rem is just a poor pawn in the giant game .( good points ) Lets see a compleete list of companies freedom group and Cerberus own so we can no longer do business with any of them .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 16, 2013, 04:12 PM   #107
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Lets see a compleete list of companies freedom group and Cerberus own so we can no longer do business with any of them .
Ah, if you think people are grousing about the ammunition shortage right now, wait until they impose one on themselves with such a boycott.
Old April 16, 2013, 09:17 PM   #108
freedash22

Freedom Group

Taken from Wikipedia, here is a list of companies comprising the Freedom Group:

Advanced Armament Corporation
Barnes Bullets [<---- makers of CORBON Ammo projectiles?]
Bushmaster Firearms International
Dakota Arms
DPMS Panther Arms
H & R Firearms
Marlin
Mountain Khakis
Para USA
Parker Gunmakers
Remington Arms
Remington Military
Remington LE
Remington PMPD
TAPCO
Old April 16, 2013, 09:32 PM   #109
freedash22

So what is the best way of handling this?

Quote:
Under these conditions I find it hard to take a company that is providing our US Special Forces and other parts of the DoD with winning weapons that can mean life or death for our best defenders and lightly consider the impact of the families of Remington and go hard on them when they may have their hands tied.
I stand by my decision but lcpiper does have a point here.

I remember the time (1989) when William Ruger opposed to the idea of large-capacity magazines. Back then I really didn't mind because I was too young. But looking at how bad things are nowadays, makes me wish he didn't say that because the magazine ban we are now facing is not a recent invention, it was suggested many years ago by William on a letter to congress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_B._Ruger

So my question now is, how should our community best encourage firearms companies to help out with our cause? Do we support them? Do we boycott them? Or should we just wait?

Last edited by freedash22; April 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Quote correction
Old April 16, 2013, 10:22 PM   #110
cvc944

So there are actually four Remington Companies - Remington Arms, Remington Military, Remington LE, and Remington PMPD. Looks like everyone wins and goes home happy. We civilians can buy our sporting arms from other manufacturers if we so choose, while the Military and the Law can buy the guns of their choice from Remington's other divisions.
Old April 17, 2013, 12:18 AM   #111
Metal god

Here is a list that Cerberus owns , source wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...ment_companies

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 18, 2013, 12:04 PM   #112
Rumpelhardt

To those who are swearing off all things Remington just keep in mind that buying used firearms does not profit the original manufacturer at all. I'm sure most here understand this but some people can get carried away.
Old April 18, 2013, 12:38 PM   #113
lcpiper

Quote:
I stand by my decision but lcpiper does have a point here.

And lcpiper stands by every one of you for making up your own minds. I would not ever try to take that away from any of you.

I am a firm believer that informed active people of good conscience are the best defense of freedom we have.

Last edited by lcpiper; April 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: unquoted reference