The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 20, 2013, 02:16 AM   #1
tjpratt

storage of ammo safely

I did look did not see this covered. My concern for the ammo in my house is for the first responders, should there be a fire. A ammo can will not stop rounds from firing off when exposed to heat, right. So what to do??

Thank you
Old February 20, 2013, 02:33 AM   #2
BarryLee

Since nothing is holding the cartridge in a firm position if ignited the bullet and case would probably travel short distances in opposite directions. Storing ammo in steel ammo cans may actually offer some level of heat resistance and constrain any rounds that did ignite.

Remember in a house fire you have a lot of things that might be more dangerous, natural gas, propane, gasoline, aerosol cans and assorted other goodies.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 20, 2013, 12:51 PM   #3
adamc

There is a youtube video of "LOts and Lots" of rounds
destroyed in everywhich way, crashes, burning, etc..

yes it did burn & explode but the firefighters claimed it was mostly harmless

watch it if you can.... it made me cry to see all
that ammo up in smoke, and NOW we can't even find any

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old February 20, 2013, 02:56 PM   #4
tjpratt

ammo safety

Thank folks.
Just wanted to make sure our first responders were as safe as possible.
I will be getting a ammo can.
Old February 20, 2013, 05:23 PM   #5
drail

Just don't put it inside anything that will allow any pressure to build up. The factory packaging is designed to rupture at very low pressures to let the gases vent. Keep it in a warm dry part of the house away from all appliances (especially gas fired ones).
Old February 20, 2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Mauser8mm

2 Best Options

Option 1: 50 caliber ammo cans, plastic or metal. Store each type of ammunition in a different ammo can. Now store your boxes in a wood or metal chest that is bolted to the floor, and locked with a padlock. If your worried about somebody stealing the ammo, label the chest clothes, or towels, etc. Something people would not want to steal.

Option 2: Put it in a safe.

Both are good options but Option 2 is more simple! Hope this helps!
Old February 21, 2013, 12:03 AM   #7
Mezzanine

The mythbusters already did the bullet in the oven thing. The cases have less mass than the bullet itself and requires less energy to move from a resting state and thus will travel much farther than the bullet. Neither had enough force to break the viewing window on an oven.

Now my guess is that a plastic ammo can would deteriorate before ammo starts going pop. That being said i think your ok with the .50 cal cans. But a fire rated safe is always a better option.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:51 AM   #8
kilimanjaro

Don't store any rounds in the chamber of a weapon, or a revolver cylinder, that's for sure. It cooks off, you've fired a round, then ballistics takes over. The loose stuff will just burst open, it's not confined in a chamber. Buddy of mine was on a volunteer fire crew some years back, another crew member got a bullet in the leg from a loaded weapon on a shelf. They backed off and let the rest of the house burn down. Can't say I blame them.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:23 AM   #9
locnload

TJ, Thank you for your corcern for the safety of First Responders, with 20+ years in the Fire Service I can tell you a lot of people never consider the hazards that Firefighters and EMS people have to deal with at the average residence.
That being said, my focus recently has been more geared toward securing my stored ammo from theft. With the price of ammo, and the likelyhood of standard capacity mags becoming a hot item on the black market, I am much more concerned about people targeting those caches of goodies. My guns are locked in a safe but for years my ammo supplies were in an unsecured cabinet, and my mags, at least the ones for the guns I carry or keep handy, were in an unlocked drawer. Bad idea these days. I have an old two door office safe converted to a gun safe, then converted for ammo and mag storage when I got a real gun safe. Just something to keep in mind.