The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 14, 2012, 09:44 PM   #1
iraiam

I Just witnessed some panic gun buying.

I went to a local sporting retailer this evening to get some reloading supplies and was very surprised to see the amount of people at the firearm counter.

There were at least 4 people filling out background check forms and I saw 2 more completed firearm sales in just the 20 minutes I was in the store, the clercks were swamped to the point that the other department employees were working the gun counter.

With the term "gun control" being heard on nearly every TV and radio station today, I guess I should not be surprised. It's not like I haven't seen panic buying berfore.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old December 14, 2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Gunnut17

At least they can panic buy. If any anti-gun legislation comes out of recent events, such as Oregon, I am thoroughly drained of luck.

This has got to be the first time a major disaster has caused me genuine stress.
Old December 15, 2012, 12:38 AM   #3
BarryLee

Yes, no doubt current events are having an impact and I fear it is not just baseless paranoia. However, I wonder if the fact that Christmas is in ten days might also have something to do with it.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 15, 2012, 02:37 AM   #4
Apom

I have a BCM bolt carrier group on watch list.. It sells out so fast that I get a out of stock email before I get the in-stock email. Tonight at walmart the ammo shelves were bare..

Lets ramp up production..put more americans to work making this stuff..and lets never let those shelves sit empty.
Old December 15, 2012, 08:56 AM   #5
WyMark

I'm supposed to go to a large gun show this morning with a buddy, but now I'm rethinking that. It was probably going to be crowded anyway, now I think it might be a total zoo. Lots of panic buying, and the prices will be ridiculous.
Old December 15, 2012, 03:19 PM   #6
grubbylabs

We have seen a steady stream of panic buying since the election. In the week after the election both Sportsman's ware houses sold over 50,000.00 in guns. I was in a local gun shop the Saturday after and only one person came in that was in panic buy mode. She was looking for a "deer rifle", she gave the counter guy nothing else to work with. She had no idea of caliber or make or any thing. She stated that she just wanted to have it in case we could no longer get them.

However my neighbor who manages a Sportsman's says that business is steady at the moment. I am not sure if it is really staying busy because of the season or because of the panic. Our local media has not helped either. The one local gun shop is really good at promoting themselves and taking advantage of the scare. They are also quite a bit higher priced than the other small shops I have been to in other areas. For the fist time I don't feel bad about not supporting a small business.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old December 15, 2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Dr Big Bird PhD

I find these events a little too convenient for certain people in washington to push another clinton AWB. I'm sure its already in the works
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 15, 2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Ridge_Runner_5

~1500 people in line for a background check in Colorado right now
Old December 15, 2012, 06:44 PM   #9
comn-cents

Sounds like Santa is coming
Old December 15, 2012, 07:30 PM   #10
Jeff #111

Here in southeastern Idaho the gunshops, big retail outlets and even the pawn shops are reporting pretty major numbers. And that's going back several weeks. On Black Friday I was at a store called Bi-Mart in Lincoln City Oregon and I overheard the clerk at the gun counter tell a customer it would be awhile before they got to calling him in. There were ten or eleven customers ahead of him waiting for their background checks.

Gun sales are going through the roof right now.

I have a feeling we're about ready to see one nasty political battle start up as of Monday. It will probably make the gun-control fight in the summer of 1999 (after Colombine) look like a love-in.
Old December 15, 2012, 08:08 PM   #11
royal barnes

It started for us the day after the elections and has not slacked up since.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:19 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
It started for us the day after the elections and has not slacked up since.
Post-election, we saw a definite upsurge, but nothing like 2008.

However, the last two days have been unlike anything I've ever seen in terms of demand.
Old December 16, 2012, 09:04 AM   #13
thedudeabides

Ammo... cleaned out.

Guns... everyone is buying.

I'm just waiting for a Nixonesque executive order to halt gun and ammo sales for 90 days until we all can have a "meaningful discussion" and pass sweeping legislation.
Old December 16, 2012, 09:21 AM   #14
Sparks1957

Was out yesterday, and thought about picking up some .22 ammo to replenish the supplies... and there is nothing on the shelves. Ammo is picked clean here.
Old December 16, 2012, 09:47 AM   #15
WyMark

The gun show wasn't as bad as I expected. One guy brought a Shield 40 that lasted about 10 minutes. I picked up an ammo can of 1000 9mm 115 FMJ reloads for a few bucks less than I paid online for 1000 rounds of Speer Lawman last spring. He had buckets of every caliber, no shortage but his sales were brisk.

Went by Jensen Arms afterwards and it was absolutely nuts, but my buddy had never been there and wanted to check it out.
Old December 16, 2012, 12:55 PM   #16
JWT

Feinstein has already announced intentions to introduce a new ban on 'assault rifles'. That might make the ones in stock disappear rather rapidly like they did a few years ago. Can't do anything but wait and see where it goes once things settle down a bit.
Old December 16, 2012, 02:03 PM   #17
baddarryl

Every gun shop in town's parking lot has been busy since Nov 8. I had the same thought yesterday going to get ammo. I have been picking up a box here and there ever since.
Old December 16, 2012, 02:08 PM   #18
Adventurer 2

I stop in Gander Mountain about once a month. Today the parking lot was out of the ordinary full. The gun counter was calling numbers (first time I've seen that). The bulk ammo can 223 was all gone with the exception of the $540 cans of tracer. I have always ignored the panic buying but this time I grabbed bullets and primers not because I need them but because I've become a panic buyer. Hoping I'm wrong.
Old December 16, 2012, 03:07 PM   #19
shoot1forme

How many do I need?

The simple fact of the matter is that no matter how many firearms you have they can, with the stroke of a pen, become useless if legislators pass laws which prohibit their posession. This is what happened in Britain not too long ago; use a gun you're not supposed to have and suffer the consequences, loss of the firearm, a stiff fine and/or jail time. Sure, Britain doesn't have our constitution with its second ammendment, but allow the U.S. to be suckered into the United Nations small arms treaty and all bets are off. One of the clauses in that treaty is that it could allow the United Nations to require all US citizens who own guns to register them and be monitored by the UN. This could mean if you used a firearm that wasn't "registered" through the UN you could then be considered a lawbreaker and would be dealt with accordingly.

http://communities.washingtontimes.c...lities-treaty/
Old December 16, 2012, 05:08 PM   #20
Colorado308shooter

In 1959, the Supreme Court ruled that the US Constitution SUPERCEDES all international treaties, therefore the UN would have ZERO authority over gun regulations inside the U.S borders.

There was a gun show here in Colorado Springs this weekend, the main parking lot was packed full of cars, as was THREE adjacent parking lots. It was NUTS!
Old December 16, 2012, 07:53 PM   #21
4thHorseman

Obama- Gun salesman of the year!!!!
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003
Old December 16, 2012, 10:14 PM   #22
shoot1forme

Whew....

Thanks for the heads up Colorado. I was just going by what I've been reading about that UN Small Arms Treaty fiasco Hillary is pushing ahead with. Guess then the Washington Times, and dozens of other publications I thought were reliable sources, aren't. I sure hope you're right Colorado. Of course the Supreme Court would never overturn one of their rulings. Not even if 3 new liberal justices were appointed! Nah...never happen.
Old December 16, 2012, 10:30 PM   #23
breakingcontact

Quote:
With that, you should be able to judge his believability for yourself.
?

Seems legit to me.
Old December 16, 2012, 10:32 PM   #24
Colorado308shooter

Good article on treaties and the Constitution. The biggest myth and lie around is that treaties usurp the Constitution....they don't!

http://www.sweetliberty.org/issues/s...s/treaties.htm
Old December 16, 2012, 11:22 PM   #25
Tom Servo
Staff

We're really off topic at this point.
Closed Thread