The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 28, 2012, 10:26 PM   #1
TheRaskalKing

GSG 1911 .22?

I'm looking at a GSG 1911 .22. Anybody had any experience with this gun? Please not just "Yeah it's great," or "it's total crap." Details and reasons for your opinions would be grand. Many thanks.
Old February 28, 2012, 11:46 PM   #2
asm3686

Check out my thread 1911-22lr tons of reviews and discusses most of the options out there
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480204
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old February 29, 2012, 06:54 AM   #3
Marquezj16

The GSG and Sig 1911-22 are the same pistol.

I just did a review on my Sig 1911-22. It is a sweet shooting gun. The trigger is awesome. You can find my review here on TFL.
Old February 29, 2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Another review: http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=124
Old February 29, 2012, 05:45 PM   #5
excelerater

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...e-cracked.html

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...&highlight=GSG

Many Kabooms,pot metal slides....Mine almost blinded me...
Old February 29, 2012, 06:16 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Go over to rimfire.com forum and take a look under rimfire pistols.

I, like you, am interested in getting one. Just remember that you will get both good and bad comments on any handgun/weapon. From what I'm reading, most everyone is happy with them. Some of the earlier ones had issues with the recoil spring guide rod. Longer aftermarket stainless rods are available from several sources that will fix any of those issues should it ever happen that you have a problem. The majority of those that have one seem to really like them and how they shoot - they put a smile on your face.

As stated, Sig and GSG are the same gun. It's my understanding that Sig and GSG are managed by two brothers.

I finally located a LGS that carries the GSG and another one who carries the Sig. The Sig is priced about $20 more than the GSG. If you take a look at both, it kind of boils down to different finishes available and different grips.

After doing a lot of reading on them, I finally have stopped waffling over it and hope to pick up a GSG next week.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 29, 2012, 10:05 PM   #7
Dino.

Quote:
Many Kabooms,pot metal slides....Mine almost blinded me...
excelerater is offline Report Post
The slides are aluminum alloy, not "pot metal" and there weren't "many kabooms" reported.

I'm sorry to hear about your malfunction (again and again) but the gun got a lot of great reviews, including my own.

80% of parts on the GSG are interchangeable with standard 1911 milspec parts.
If you're looking for a 1911-22, the GSG is the closest in design to the .45 version, hands down.
Old March 1, 2012, 02:13 AM   #8
SgtMerc

GSG1911-22

Got my GSG last saturday, and took it to the range on sunday. Super fun to shoot, definitely different from my .45 kimber.

First of all, why are you considering the gsg? I got mine because i have a 1911 .45 and wanted to practice trigger control, sight picture, sight alignment, and wanted to have something the same as my regular pistol without the prohibitive ammo cost.

Second, it may seem like there have been a lot of issues with the GSG, but there are also lots of references and ATI has a great support section that will work with you if you have any issues.

Personally, i decided to head off any issues regarding the broken guide rod problem by purchasing a custom one prior. got it from zr tactical solutions. they're on ebay, or you can google them.

I believe i got the second generation barrel bushing, as it's magnetic. and it was super easy to remove the magazine-safety.

Whatever your reason for getting the GSG, i know you'll have a lot of fun with it!

Enjoy!
Old March 1, 2012, 02:44 AM   #9
TheRaskalKing

I'm interested in the GSG for the same reasons. Target practice, trigger control, marksmanship in general really, and of course a fun range gun. Also, a huge plus is that it will be WAY cheaper to feed than my .40. We all know that the 1911 is a great platform, and it's one I have wanted to get into for a long time. I don't have the money right now to pick up, much less feed a full size. The .22 seems to be a good solution for me.

I don't doubt that there have been issues, but haven't there been issues with EVERY gun? I'm not at all trying to discount how scary and real catastrophic malfunctions are, I'm just saying they aren't unique to one make/model.

Thanks for all the input though, hopefully I'll be able to pick one up sometime soon here.
Old March 1, 2012, 05:24 AM   #10
excelerater

Dino,Alum Alloy is another name for potmetal - a slurry of cheap alum heated and poured into a mold.......Most real guns you buy are steel slides BTW
I had a Mettalurgist take apart and Mic the GSG slide,its as thin as .021 in places and for most accouints is un suitble for firearms -
Yesterday a friend of mine busted his guiderod on his GSG after 1500 rounds,mine slplit on the slide after100......Its a slick looking gun,fire it at your own risk,to me its no better than a Jennings or a Bryco
Old March 1, 2012, 06:49 AM   #11
Marquezj16

Aluminum alloy is not the same as "pot metal". While it's true that pot metal can have aluminum as a component but what is considered as pot metal has Zinc as the main component with other metals such as aluminum, copper, tin, lead, etc...
Old March 1, 2012, 06:01 PM   #12
vaskeet

I have a ria xt 22 on order it uses the same grip/frame as their other 1911. It has a steel slide that has been cut like a beretta 92 f to lighten the slide so it would function with 22lr. When I get it (shipped today) I will post pictures and write a review here is a link to where I ordered the gun
http://centerfiresystems.com/ac-ri1911-22lr.aspx
Ria also sells it as a combo 45acp/22lr Randy
Old March 1, 2012, 10:14 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelerator
Dino,Alum Alloy is another name for potmetal - a slurry of cheap alum heated and poured into a mold...
"Aluminum alloy" isn't another name for anything. There are MANY alloys of aluminum, and they are typically designated by a 4-digit number. Smith and Wesson makes several handguns using an alloy they call "Scandium." Their "Scandium" frames are made of an alloy of aluminum that contains a small amount of Scandium. According to your definition, then, S&W Scandium firearms are made of pot metal.

"Pot metal" is another name for an alloy whose primary constituent is zinc. It's related to (but not the same as) Zamac. I'm 68 years old and you are the first person I have ever heard try to characterize pot metal as an aluminum alloy.

By the way, aluminum isn't cheap. Pot metal is cheap because it's mostly zinc -- which costs a LOT less than aluminum.
Old March 2, 2012, 05:07 PM   #14
Dino.

Quote:
"Aluminum alloy" isn't another name for anything. There are MANY alloys of aluminum, and they are typically designated by a 4-digit number. Smith and Wesson makes several handguns using an alloy they call "Scandium." Their "Scandium" frames are made of an alloy of aluminum that contains a small amount of Scandium. According to your definition, then, S&W Scandium firearms are made of pot metal.

"Pot metal" is another name for an alloy whose primary constituent is zinc. It's related to (but not the same as) Zamac. I'm 68 years old and you are the first person I have ever heard try to characterize pot metal as an aluminum alloy.

By the way, aluminum isn't cheap. Pot metal is cheap because it's mostly zinc -- which costs a LOT less than aluminum.
Thanks for the clarification, Aguila Blanca.

And for those with reservations of the GSG due to reports of broken guide rods ... the company has addressed this by upgrading several parts such as guide rods, guide rod springs, steel barrel bushings, and guide rod bushings on the newer GSG's.

My Sig (made by GSG) came with all the upgraded parts but I purchased the stainless steel full guide rod before learning this.

GSG's aren't cheap "pot metal".
Aquila Blanca did a nice job explaining the difference in aluminum alloy and zinc alloy (pot metal) for those confused.
Old March 3, 2012, 01:32 PM   #15
KyJim

According to a review by Gun Digest, the slide is an aluminum allow while the frame/receiver is zinc alloy (Zamak). However, one poster claims he called ATI, which is the importer for GSG, and they reportedly told him the slide was "Zamak 5." http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...ml#post2177045. Perhaps he got the slide and frame mixed up, but who can say? Neither ATI, GSG, or Sig give any details on their websites.
Old March 3, 2012, 07:06 PM   #16
bedbugbilly

I have a large container that I boil pasta in . . . it's made out of aluminum . . . but it really isn't a pan . . . it's more of a "pot" . . . does that make it "pot metal"???

For crying out loud . . . the GSG/Sig 1911-22 isn't a Colt 1911-A1 . . if it was, it would cost a heck of a lot more. Let's face it - Colt's new 1911-22 isn't an "all steel gun" either . . . nor is it made by Colt. These guns are a moderately priced 22 made to look like a 1911 . . and in the case of the GSG/Sig . . . something like 80% of the parts are supposed to be interchangeable with mil spec 1911 parts.

I'm 60 and it took a lot for me to buy a "plastic" gun a couple of years back when I got back in to shooting cartridge guns (always shot BP). But you know what, my Ruger SR9 is a great gun and a good shooter. I don't know why a lot of threads end up being "bashing" sessions or arguments over aluminum or pot metal or plastic . . but that seems to be the trend all of the time.

Obviously, some have had problems with the GSG/Sig 1911 -22 . . but what make and model hasn't had their problems? Whenever I buy a new or a used handgun or long arm, I examine it before laying my money down and before I shoot it, I clean it thoroughly and inspect it. I find it somewhat amazing and amusing that an individual would claim that the GSG/Sig was "unsafe". Obviously, they had a bad experience but then again, if the person felt it was unsafe, why didn't they recognize it when they were looking at it prior to purchase or cleaning prior to use? Hmmmmm . . . .

I've handled the GSG and will probably be picking one up in the next week or so if the dealer has one in stock. When I looked at them, I was impressed with them and found it to be fairly priced. Will it shoot like a "target model" - probably not but then it's not designed to. It's made for general use - target practice, punching paper, killing pop cans and possibly a varmint or two. Will it have "issues" . . . I hope not but then again, my new car needs fixing once in a while too. And no . . . I'm not going to fret and loose sleep thinking that it might blow up and kill me because it's made out of "pot metal" and not "steel".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 3, 2012, 09:09 PM   #17
Dino.

Quote:
I have a large container that I boil pasta in . . . it's made out of aluminum . . . but it really isn't a pan . . . it's more of a "pot" . . . does that make it "pot metal"???

For crying out loud . . . the GSG/Sig 1911-22 isn't a Colt 1911-A1 . . if it was, it would cost a heck of a lot more. Let's face it - Colt's new 1911-22 isn't an "all steel gun" either . . . nor is it made by Colt. These guns are a moderately priced 22 made to look like a 1911 . . and in the case of the GSG/Sig . . . something like 80% of the parts are supposed to be interchangeable with mil spec 1911 parts.

I'm 60 and it took a lot for me to buy a "plastic" gun a couple of years back when I got back in to shooting cartridge guns (always shot BP). But you know what, my Ruger SR9 is a great gun and a good shooter. I don't know why a lot of threads end up being "bashing" sessions or arguments over aluminum or pot metal or plastic . . but that seems to be the trend all of the time.

Obviously, some have had problems with the GSG/Sig 1911 -22 . . but what make and model hasn't had their problems? Whenever I buy a new or a used handgun or long arm, I examine it before laying my money down and before I shoot it, I clean it thoroughly and inspect it. I find it somewhat amazing and amusing that an individual would claim that the GSG/Sig was "unsafe". Obviously, they had a bad experience but then again, if the person felt it was unsafe, why didn't they recognize it when they were looking at it prior to purchase or cleaning prior to use? Hmmmmm . . . .

I've handled the GSG and will probably be picking one up in the next week or so if the dealer has one in stock. When I looked at them, I was impressed with them and found it to be fairly priced. Will it shoot like a "target model" - probably not but then it's not designed to. It's made for general use - target practice, punching paper, killing pop cans and possibly a varmint or two. Will it have "issues" . . . I hope not but then again, my new car needs fixing once in a while too. And no . . . I'm not going to fret and loose sleep thinking that it might blow up and kill me because it's made out of "pot metal" and not "steel".
Excellent post.
Old March 4, 2012, 07:23 AM   #18
excelerater

SIG yanks its 1911 22 off the market till further notice,
2 of my local gun shops yank them off the shelves fact
GSG is in the process of redesigning a slide that does not Kaboom
Rumor has it.....u dont say

IDK what you call it (pot metal,Slurry,Alloy,tinfoil),its too thin and weak for a firearm
Old March 4, 2012, 07:44 AM   #19
Marquezj16

excelerator - where did you get your information from?

At first I was feeling bad for your experience...not so much now. Your campaign of misinformation has led me to believe that you are not to be trusted.

Last edited by Marquezj16; March 4, 2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old March 4, 2012, 11:06 AM   #20
KyJim

Quote:
Uh . . . not on Sig's Product Alert page. http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerServ...ct-Alerts.aspx. Can't find anything on GSG's website. Can't find anything through Google.
Old March 4, 2012, 01:20 PM   #21
Dino.

Quote:
2 of my local gun shops yank them off the shelves fact
GSG is in the process of redesigning a slide that does not Kaboom
Rumor has it.....u dont say

IDK what you call it (pot metal,Slurry,Alloy,tinfoil),its too thin and weak for a firearm
I wonder who started that rumor?
Old March 4, 2012, 08:37 PM   #22
bedbugbilly

OMG! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Run for your lives!

GSG/Sig are recalling their firearms! Colt has gone out of business. Ruger has moved their operations to Cuba . . . .

excelerater . . . according to you, GSG/Sig 1911-22s are dangerous and crap . . evidently that is all you can say in a post?

I did a "search" on here and put in "excelerater" and "GSG" - I din't come up with much other that a couple of threads where you had nothing to say that was good. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to hear what "actually" happened with your GSG . . . you say it "blew up" . . . how about some photos of it???? Obviously if it did "blow up" . . I would think that you would have kept the "pieces" just as a reminder to never buy any firearm that wasn't 100% steel?

I've been around firearms for 50 + years and I can honestly say that the only ones that i have seen "blow up" were those in which the incorrect powder was used - i.e. pistol powder in shotgun shells which created too much pressure and the use of smokeless powder in a black powder firearm. Funny thing though . . . that was all "pilot error" . . . not the fault of the firearm. Granted . . I haven't "seen it all" . . that's why I would really like to see some photos of your GSG that "blew up" and a precise explanation of the ammo you were using and what you were doing at the time . . . was it "REALLY' faulty materials?

We all know that when a cartridge fires, it is enclosed in the barrel . . . or is supposed to be. Did your GSG "fire" when you pulled the trigger and for some reason the pistol had not returned to battery? If that is the case, then there is a safety issue . . . but not with the materials. Did the pistol "blow up" while the cartridge was fully seated in the chamber? If that is the case, it is not the slide that there is a problem with . . it is the barrel.

I am gathering from your comment about "pot metal" that you don't think any firearm should be made out of anything else but steel. That's probably why you ordered a SS Colt as you stated in one thread. If you think that any firearm with "pot metal" - which would have to include aluminum alloys, etc. should not be used in a firearm . . . then I guess a lot of firearm manufacturers will have to recall their products and go out of business. But I've got news for you . . . I won't give up my Henry 22 nor will the thousands of other satisfied customers.

Honestly . . . . I'm not trying to pick a fight. If you had a problem with your GSG . . then I'm sorry. But instead of being nothing but negative about it . why don't you enlighten the rest of us with photos of your GSG . . good, clear photos from all angles so we can all decide if we should not buy one or for those that own them, they can throw theirs away. Tell us what ammo you were using . . . what were you doing at the time it "blew up" . . . are you sure the pistol had returned to battery . . . . was your magazine in tight and were the rounds feeding properly . . . did a live round stovepipe and go off . . . was the barrel free from obstructions or did you have a squib and not know it . . . was the gun properly cleaned . . . those types of things.

So far . . . . I have yet to see or find a thread started by you on your GSG and its "self destruction" . . . . maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place? If you did have a thread on it . . . please . . . . provide the link and educate the rest of us. Thanks.
Old March 4, 2012, 09:17 PM   #23
tahunua001

among all the 22LR 1911s the GSG is one of the higher quality models. it's one of the closest in terms of overall dimensions and has just slightly lighter heft than a "true" 1911. the only downside is that they can be finicky about the ammo you put in them.
Old March 5, 2012, 06:55 AM   #24
excelerater

They sky is falling!

Funny how owners of any product will never because of ego or what have you
actually tell you the straight skinny on what they bought...

I have told my story in an earlier thread on how my GSG kaboomed and have shown several other folks's tail of woe as well and I wont repeat
Im already moved on to a superior product and wont ever look back

You see young man when a business does a shoddy job or makes a shoddy product and its continually coming up in a negative light I ditch the POS and look for something better and tell everyone I can how shoddy my purchase was ..Not because I have hate in my heart cause I do not but because I hate to see folks get duped for their hard earned money and ATI is
a used car dealer that is duping folks on a daily basis - If you wanna kick out 350 bucks for tin foil,go right ahead.....just make sure you wear eye protection
Old March 5, 2012, 08:22 AM   #25
Marquezj16

excelerater - stick to the facts and people will listen. When you start to make up information or pass on wrong information you lost your credibility.