The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 1, 2010, 04:51 PM   #1
velocette

1917 Enfield, 30-06

Folks, many years ago when I was near the end of my 4 year indenture to the US govt., I had a 1917 Enfield rifle that I had sporterized. I bought it in 1968 as an original GI rifle & worked from there. Removed the "ears" bought a stock blank & fitted / finished as needed, sent it out for hot blueing. No sights installed.
Then I ended my 4 year commitment to the USAF & went home. I entered college on the GI bill, I took the rifle to a local (Near Asbury Park NJ) gunsmith to have an aperture sight system installed. (yes foolishly)

I abandoned the rifle. I had no money to pay the man, so I just abandoned it.
Today I want to find a 1917 rifle and do it again without the abandonment.
I'd like to find a 1917 Enfield action in good shape that I could build another rifle that I would not abandon. Perhaps its payback for the rifle I never fired after 6 months of hard part time work.
Any suggestions from the gathering of elderly rifle mavens?

Roger
Old August 1, 2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I saw a Remington 1917 yesterday at the gunshow. Full military spec... $950.

I hope you're not planning on doing this to a complete rifle...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 1, 2010, 07:42 PM   #3
velocette

Mike;
My how things change in 40 years. Today I would not modify an original 1917 Eddystone Enfield 30-06. What I want is an action, barreled or not, sporterized rifle, whatever. As long as the action is good, I would re-barrel and re-stock and re-work it into what I had then. You know, I am trying to re-live some of my mis-spent youth without the mistakes. (correct them, do ya think?) I do not think that it will cost but $39.00 + shipping though.

Roger
Old August 2, 2010, 04:35 AM   #4
p99guy

I know where your candidate M1917 is. pm me
Its allready lost its ears.

Last edited by p99guy; August 2, 2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old August 2, 2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, I know you already mentioned the action, but I wasn't sure if you were going to get that action from a complete rifle or not.

At one time back in the 1980s I contemplated building a .264 or a .300 Win Mag. on a 1917 action. Never got around to it. Still would be a fun project.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 2, 2010, 08:41 AM   #6
hagar

I have 2 1917's, and one P14. All in original shape with WW1 barrels, but on 2 of them the stocks were replaced. I also have a 25/06 built on a 1917 action, and whoever did the work was a master craftsman. The ears were grind off so that no trace of them remain, action was converted to cock on opening, and it has a beautiful custom stock. It came with a good Bausch&Lomb scope, and I paid a little more for it than what the scope alone was worth! I have to take them out and shoot them more.
Old August 8, 2010, 06:12 PM   #7
dumbodave

I have one.

P17 Remington Enfield. Story I was told is a local shooter that I actually met once wanted something he could shoot 1000 yard with. Of course, you have to have the biggest and fastest to shoot 1000 yard with so he had it converted to .308 Norma. He had the ears ground off really nicely and put a stock of his choosing on it. I needed a deer rifle at the time and the stock that was on it sort of fit me so I did the deal. Seems to me like I traded a Baikal 12 ga O/U and a case of 12 ga duck loads from my reloading bench. Don't think the 1000 yard shooter was ever very happy with it as there was significant rust pitting in the bore. It suited my pruposes though, I could shoot minute of deer with it to 300 yards and most of my critters were closer to 100 yards. Shot a lot of deer and a couple of moose with it. Found it was a little large for Antelope. Got a little tired of the headache shooting it in shirtsleeves on hot summer afternoons at paper so I sent it away to a gunsmith who put a nice trigger, new barrel in Winchester 264, and reblued the action. She is my favorite. I use her for everything - in spite of having many other calibers, this rifle just has my love and affection. Prairie dogs to Moose - she has my vote.
Old August 11, 2010, 12:12 AM   #8
kraigwy

I have a Remington 1917 Enfield action that I made into a 416 Rigby, Fun project, but it kicks like a mule. Nothing big enough here to warrant a 416 but I've found Trailboss makes a real nice load, and shooting cast bullets its quite cheap and pleasant to shoot.

Anyway, I'm in th market for a USGI un altered 1917 Vintage Military Rifle Matches.

CMP has barreled boltless actions, I have an extra bolt, I wonder if there are enough parts around to put a 1917 together, making it CMP VMR legal?
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 11, 2010, 07:54 AM   #9
velocette

Well folks, I found one to help ease the pain of my youthful indiscretion.
A forum member put me in contact with someone that has one and was wishing to sell. From the photos, the ears are gone or at least mostly gone and it has a "sporterized" GI stock. Still in 30-06 with original barrel.
So I have begun the process to buy it and have it shipped to South Florida.
already looked into a new sporter style stoc. Wow do some of the woods available look good! I also must decide whether to keep the original barrel or to re-barrel it with a good modern barrel. Depends upon how well the original shoots I think.
I will put up photos when the rifle arrives.

Roger