The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 19, 2011, 03:25 PM   #1
island18

Bersa 9mm

I don't need this gun, thinking on getting one since I'm from Argentina and lived 45 minutes away from the factory.
I'm set with my carry guns, Bodyguard .380 and EMP 9mm, the EMP takes the double duty as home defense gun.
I can't find any Bersas 9mm, nobody carry this gun, and don't know what to do, since I can't hold one.
Should I buy a gun just because pure nostalgia, or go for the proper gun for home defense?
Old October 19, 2011, 06:53 PM   #2
tekarra

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Bersa makes a fine pistol so you can buy one for functionality rather than sentimentality.
Old October 19, 2011, 06:58 PM   #3
lee n. field

The Bersa .380s seem to be a lot more available than their other guns.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 19, 2011, 07:17 PM   #4
TailGator

I don't own a Bersa, but you are going to hear from several people on here who do, and a large majority seem to be quite pleased. It often comes up as one of the better values in handguns. Growing up near the factory makes a good story. Get it if that is what you want, and if what I read is any indication, it should serve you well. And welcome aboard.
Old October 19, 2011, 07:18 PM   #5
Pukindog12

If you mean a "proper gun for home defense" as in a shotgun then by all means do so. Couldn't do better IMO. If by asking if whether to get a Bersa 9mm for nostalgia or home defense, get it for both.

I bought a Bersa Thunder UC 9 Pro a couple months back and I would not hesitate to use it for defense. It is also one of my CCs. Very accurate and reliable. One of the best bangs for your buck out there right now.

Get one. I'm sure you'll love it.
Old October 19, 2011, 07:57 PM   #6
island18

Thank you guys for the welcome, today was my first post, but i visit this forum at least 3 or 4 times a week since the middle of last year.
It's easier to learn from somebody else experience than from my own mistakes, and because what I learned here and reading reviews so far I'm satisfied with my purchases.
But with the Bersa, I don't want to mix heart with practicality, and end up making a mistake.
Thank you for your advice
Old October 19, 2011, 08:06 PM   #7
island18

Pukindog12,
I can't have a shotgun because I lost my right eye and detached the retina of the other eye, and my Dr. told me not to get a shotgun because the direct recoil on my body can detach the retina
Guns are my only solution....and they are addictive!!!
Old October 19, 2011, 08:12 PM   #8
longcall911

I've got a Thunder .45 and like it a lot. I like my $1200 SW1911 better but I could buy 3 Bersa Thunders for $1200. I bought mine at Cabelas. They had the .380, 9mm and .45 all in stock.

I would definitely hold out and find one you can handle. The double stack makes the grip wide, maybe too wide for smaller hands and a slight disadvantage for concealed carry. I do like the wider grip though (fits me well) and I CC it frequently.
Old October 20, 2011, 06:57 AM   #9
island18

My next gun will be a night table gun, I live in Florida and I'm well cover with my Bodyguard .380 (love this gun ) and EMP 9mm (great gun to carry but low capacity and no rail for home defense)
The problem I'm having is not able to hold a Bersa, because I have small hands, and I'm afraid to get a gun that I can not handle
Old October 20, 2011, 09:11 AM   #10
dean1818

Bersa is a good pistol, but not a great pistol

Its worth the price they charge

I had a 40 UC that was reliable, but didn't fit me

At 1.45 inch wide it was too thick for me to carry

I also had a splotchy finish on my slide

Buying American made, wherever I still can

Last edited by dean1818; October 21, 2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old October 20, 2011, 11:26 AM   #11
island18

That is my problem, I can't find one to try
Old October 20, 2011, 11:35 AM   #12
aarondhgraham

Can you find a Walther PPK?

Externally they are virtually identical,,,
If you can properly hold the PPK,,,
You can also hold the Bersa.

Bersa

PPK

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 20, 2011, 12:00 PM   #13
loose_holster_dan

while the bersa 380 is a nice piece, i wouldn't assume that the 9mm is as well. while i have never held or fired the 9mm, i did own the thunder 45 uc, and didn't much care for it. way too wide and heavy for carry, and the hammer bit me every time the thing went off.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old October 20, 2011, 02:42 PM   #14
island18

I'm interested on the 9mm with rail
Old October 20, 2011, 05:12 PM   #15
priler

hey there island18,i'm in florida too. here's what you can do.

go to galleryofguns.com and click gun genie on the left,then fill out the form(bersa and thunder 9) and make sure you put in your zip code and then click search. you should get several hits.

remember there's the UC and HC. one is a compact the other the full size. also,there's two versions of each,a black and a duo tone. if one does not appear,they probably don't have any at this time.

once you make a choice,click on instant quote. now you will see the prices and what LGS(local gun shop) has them,then you can click on information on the LGS you choose.this is when you will see the address and telephone number,at least most of the time.

now you can call and verify that they have it,check it out,and make sure it fits you,you like it and all that.

if i were you,and you decide to buy, do it THROUGH or on galleryofguns,here's why. first of,sometimes that price is through galleryofguns and not always if you simply walk in the LGS. second,if there's anything wrong with it,you have the galleryofguns assurance that they will replace or refund you. this is much better than just the bersa life-time plan where you have to send in the gun. third,it would be ****ty of you to not go through galleryofguns after they did you the favor of finding the gun you wanted and couldn't find it otherwise,plus it doesn't cost you anything and you are supporting a good system.

also,keep in mind that if they don't have the specific model your looking for,you can give your e-mail address and they should eventually make you aware when it comes in.

good luck.
Old October 20, 2011, 06:33 PM   #16
gator1gear

I have a Firestorm (Bersa) 40UC I have sent countless rounds through this thing without a single hiccup! I have a few guns that cost more, but NOT ONE that's any more reliable!