The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 5, 2015, 12:29 AM   #1
Joshua 2415

NAA Sidewinder: 1.5" vs New 4"

NAA shows the new 4" Sidewinder on their website, although I haven't seen anybody selling them yet. I assume/hope their availability is imminent.

I've held off on buying the 1.5" version, hoping for a 2.5" version. But now I'll bet they wait a good while on the 2.5", as they let sales of the 4" run its course.

So, for the time being, I'm giving up on the 2.5", and will probably go ahead and get either the 1.5" or the 4". The smaller one will obviously be more pocketable, but I'm hoping the 4" will be pocketable enough.

Does anybody think the 4" will have enough extra power, relative to the 1.5", to make it worth the extra length and some loss of pocketability?

Or is there really not that much difference, and I should go ahead and just get the 1.5"...?

And, anybody see the 4" for sale yet?
Old July 5, 2015, 07:34 PM   #2
Armybrat

I fail to see the attraction of a 4" Mini - the 1.5" or 1&5/8" barrels look proportionate on those tiny guns.

I did upgrade the grip panels on my Mini Magnum 1&5/8" to the boot grips for better handling. If I get a Sidewinder, will do the same.

Nice little revolvers they are. Gave my .22lr Mini to one of my sons - it was too dang small to shoot safely.
Old July 5, 2015, 07:51 PM   #3
Doc Holliday 1950

Okay. Just saw it on their website. I don't know. Looks pretty long & skinny to me. But, that's what makes Horse Races. If you like it , then buy it & let us know. I've had the 1.58" model for 15 -16 yrs. and just love it. I carry it & so does my wife. fits into any purse she has. Under 5 yds. it's right on so with the extend barrel the accuracy distance should be much greater. Very interesting now that I think about it.
Doc

Last edited by Doc Holliday 1950; July 6, 2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old July 5, 2015, 10:30 PM   #4
stormyone

I've had the 22 magnum for over 10 years now. It's accurate inside 5-7 yards.

I had forgot they made these nice little revolvers that now have the swing out cylinder. I think I'm going to pick up a new 1.5" model soon.
Old July 6, 2015, 11:14 AM   #5
jstanfield103

Just looked at the side winder. I do not care for the 4" in that model. I would Love the Side Winder in the Mini Master though.
Old July 7, 2015, 10:54 AM   #6
Deja vu

If it was me I would go small. But that is just me. Thee guns are meant to be be very tiny. When you put a 4 inch barrel its as long as some pocket 380s.

For me I wanted small as I could so I went with the 22 short. With it I can Shoot 22LR if I take a razor blade to the cone of the 22lr. When I carry it I stock it with Aguila High velocity 22short. They get about 50-75 FPS more velocity than any other high velocity 22 shorts I have shot. 29 grains at just under 800FPS is not great stopping power but I would not want to be shot with it.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old July 12, 2015, 11:43 PM   #7
Joshua 2415

I'm the OP.

Noticed on the NAA website that the current Sidewinder is shown in one place to be 1.5", and in another place it is 1.0".

I asked their Customer Service about this, and was told that the currently available Sidewinder is 1.0", and they will fix the website.

I also asked when/whether they expect to produce a 2.5" Sidewinder. The answer was yes, they do anticipate a 2.5" Sidewinder, but a date was not given.
Old July 13, 2015, 04:10 PM   #8
Armybrat

Actually I'd prefer a 1.5" barrel on a Sidewinder, no more than 2" for sure.
Old July 15, 2015, 02:12 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

A Maxi Mini kinda defeats the purpose! But to me the purpose of the Minis in the first place are to be tiny little range toys. Fun to shoot, but not something I would be very likely to carry. So the ones with the giant folding grips are pretty ridiculous to me as well.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 15, 2015, 04:32 PM   #10
Obambulate

I never saw the need for the Sidewinder. Quicker reloads? Nope. The other minis with removable cylinders are actually quicker to reload because you can just replace the empty cylinder with a full one. And the Sidewinders look aesthetically clunky to me.
Old July 15, 2015, 10:05 PM   #11
Dave Chuppa

I like the NAA 22Mag. but one is enough. It's fun to play with and if I'm in dress clothes I mite use it for a back up. I can carry a J-Frame just as easy and can shoot it & load it faster. I very rarely carry The NAA. It's my Bathroom Drawer Gun. I'm normally carrying Two Five Shot Snubs.
Old July 16, 2015, 04:21 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Quicker reloads? Nope. The other minis with removable cylinders are actually quicker to reload because you can just replace the empty cylinder with a full one.
Quicker reloads with a NAA mini! Now that's funny!
If you need to reload a Mini at all you have made a very poor decision as to where you are, what you're doing, and what you brung!
The best description I've heard for the defensive use of a NAA Mini Revolver is as a "get off me" gun!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!