The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 16, 2012, 09:39 PM   #1
hueyguns

Bersa Thunder .380 and Ammo

I've always found automatics to be finicky with ammo. When I was younger, I assumed it was the handguns fault.

I bought my wife a Bersa Thunder .380 for Mothers Day (brings a tear to my eye). She's getting her CCW. Anyway, we started out with a few boxes of Remington and a box of Hydra-Shoks. 1st box of Remington was fine. Second mag with the 2nd box and then had a primer only shot (no powder ignition) resulting in the bullet lodged in the barrel. The shot FTE'd in a chimney stack and I found the blockage when clearing the weapon.

The remaining boxes go back to the gun store and chucked the rest of that box. BTW, it's nice to buy from a gun store where you can take it back.

Next S&B's. Once again on the second mag, it started to FTE. Got worse, eventually with a FTE on each shot. Back to the gunshop.

This time I get 3 different kinds of ammo. They all worked without any problems.

Magtech FMJ and JHP
RWS Match Grade Sport Line 95gr FMJ
Wolf Gold 94gr JHP
and finally the Hydra-Shoks shot without a hitch.

You mileage may vary. The guy at the gun store swears by S&B in his PPK. It just didn't work for this Bersa.

Mostly posting this so I can reference what works when I forget it down the road .
Old May 17, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2
JJW

I have 2 Bersa 380's and have found that they will take most anything. That being said, I have never tried S&B because I have only read negative posts about it and Winchester whit box. I shoot a lot of Blazer due mainly to the low cost. Both guns have gone thru Blazer with out a hiccup. Just info FWIW
Old May 18, 2012, 12:45 AM   #3
Mosin44az

I had a Thunder 380 CC and it was not finicky at all. I didn't keep track, but have no clear memory of any malfunctions, and being finicky is not
Bersa's reputation.

For moderate price brands, I like PMC now, Magtech and Aguila.

Have grown more suspicious of cheap Remington and Winchester White Box because of malfunctions with a number of different pistols.

Not saying S & B is bad, but I believe it is made to Euro ammo specs and won't work in everything.

Wolf Gold should be made by Prvi Partizan which has a good reputation as a company.
Old May 21, 2012, 01:41 AM   #4
hueyguns

I didn't mention it but the first Bersa we bought failed after one shot. The hammer was back and could not be dropped. The gunsmith couldn't fix it and it went back to the factory.

This report is on the replacement pistol.

Finicky ammo for an automatic isn't unusual. Try the brands and then keep using the good stuff.

Last edited by hueyguns; May 21, 2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:15 AM   #5
wdunlap

I have a Bersa 380cc and have found that it performs great with the Federal 95 gr. FMJ. I load it up with the Federal Hydra-shok 90 gr JHP for carry. 300+ rounds of the FMJ and 50+ rounds of the JHP without a single issue.
Old May 22, 2012, 12:50 AM   #6
hueyguns

The hydra-shoks shoot no problem. I gotta pick up some reloading dies for the 380.
Old May 23, 2012, 06:27 PM   #7
Stressfire

Have had a Bersa 45UC for about a year now and just got a 380CC a couple weeks ago.

The 45 wasn't fond of lead SWCs (got jammed on the ramp every now and again), but eats jacketed and HP all day long.

The 380CC is 200 rounds old, and has been nothing but flawless. Have been using Remington UMC for range and Critical Defense for carry and both have fed and shot just fine. Usually the little pistols have an ungodly break-in, am actually really impressed with the little gun.

Most over at http://bersachat.com will say to find something it likes, shoot a couple hundred rounds, and it should eat anything after that
Old May 24, 2012, 08:46 AM   #8
aarondhgraham

I have the same experience as stressfire,,,

I had a large variety of .380 ammo that I inherited,,,
It ranged from FMJ to Hydra-Shock to gun-show reloads.

So far my Thunder .380 has digested them all.

Mine is as reliable a handgun as I could ever hope for,,,
I've lost count of actual rounds but I had over 1,000 assorted rounds.

All of that ammo is gone and I don't recall even one malfunction.

I'm a Bersa fan-boy because the little pistol just works.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 24, 2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Hansam

I love Bersas. I've had several of them in the recent years and none of them have FTF, FTE etc. regardless of the type of ammo I fed them.

I've had so far:

3 - Thunder .380
2 - Thunder 45 UC Pro
1 - .380CC
2 - Thunder 9 UC (one pro one not)

They're all gone now - given away to family and friends or sold to fund a more expensive gun. However I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Bersa if I were in the market for another inexpensive handgun. In fact Bersa would be on my first pick list before most other brands.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:15 AM   #10
hueyguns

I think we'll stick with the hydra-shoks and the Magtech loads for the now. The Remington's shot well until we had a primer only fire and one jammed in the barrel. I lost confidence in the brand. If they had a batch number on the box, I would have kept the other boxes we had but they don't.

Going to go through the same thing on our new Ruger LCP w/Lasermax tomorrow. Hopefully it will eat the ammo the Bersa didn't.

Tags
380 , ammo ammunition handgun , bersa , thunder