The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 10, 2004, 01:06 AM   #1
Ninjato

PYTHON 8" SA trigger "sticking"

My wife came home today w/ a beautiful COLT PYTHON .357 w/ 8" barrel that's nickel plated. It has barely been shot and the tolerances are very close.

While at the range today, when shooting single action, after cocking the hammer back and getting ready to shoot, once in a while it was like if I had enough pressure on the trigger it would release but then "hang" and not drop. Nudging the hammer slightly would allow it to fall. Is this an issue I have to worry about or should I keep shooting it for a while and let the parts wear in and smooth out a bit.
S&W 686-4 7shot 6"
S&W Walther PPKS Gold Premier .380
Old December 10, 2004, 01:41 AM   #2
Sir William

I would worry. Try some aerosol brake parts cleaner and Remoil first. There could be some gunk that can be flushed out. DO NOT USE HOPPES! If it doesn't improve, find a Colt knowledgable gunsmith.
Old December 10, 2004, 01:48 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Do a search here on our Smithy forum. I posted info on how a Python works. As it's late and I've been trying to figure out where I got the #18 for the # of Whitworth rifles at Battery Wagner, let me think about it for a while.
Old December 10, 2004, 08:14 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Agreed on the cleaning and lubing.

What could be happening is either a problem with the double action "strut" being improperly adjusted and catching on the trigger just as it drops, or it could be several other problems.

If the double action strut is improperly adjusted, when the trigger is pulled in single action, the hammer will start to drop, then "catch" and fail to fall.

What is happening is, the strut is failing to clear the trigger's single action sear area, and is being caught and held, preventing the hammer from falling.

If cleaning and lubing doesn't correct the problem, you'll have to see a Colt qualified pistolsmith.....NOT your local gunsmith.
Old December 10, 2004, 08:18 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Haven't had time to ponder it but off the top of my head...

The bolt (cylinder stop) shouldn't have anything to do with it since it already fell off the rebound shelf and should have engaged the cylinder stop. The hand hasn't a role in it since it's already rotated the chamber of the cylinder.

The SA feature of the Python works like almost any other gun. The tail of the trigger engages the SA notch of the hammer. When additional pressure is placed against the trigger, it cams the tail of the trigger forward, disengaging it from the hammer. The hammer, no longer held back by the trigger, is propelled forward by the "V" spring by means of a stirrup that attaches from the "V" spring to the Hammer.

I wonder if there's a burr somewhere? I wonder if the finger of the rebound bar is hanging up on the trigger?

If you've read the disassembly instructions here, remove the sideplate and cock the action. Snap a shot and post pics.
Old December 14, 2004, 10:28 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is hard to be sure at long distance, but if the gun is acting as described, I don't think the hammer strut is contacting the trigger. I think the part of the hammer that projects past the single action notch is hanging up on the trigger. I have seen this several times on guns adjusted for minimum trigger travel, which does include the Python where a lot of care goes into reducing trigger overtravel.

Trigger overtravel on the old Colt action is set by adjusting the hand for minimum movement after cylinder lock up. So when the cylinder locks up, the close fitting will not allow the trigger to move enough to fully disengage from the hammer.

This can be corrected in several ways, but I found that a stroke of the stone on the hammer usually corrected the problem without any adverse impact. If the gun is new, though, I would have the dealer return it to Colt. As an alternative, dry fire it for a while (snap caps recommended) and see if the problem goes away as it sometimes will.

Jim