The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 22, 2010, 11:57 PM   #1
exbladerunner

Walther P99 woes.

Hi there everyone!

I live in Australia with all of its "amazing" gun laws.

The issue I have is I am REALLY wanting a Walther P-99, but the barrel length is not the required 120mm length.

I am having a terrible time sourcing extended barrels etc online and am dreading the idea of doing the whole import thing with the feds over here as it seems I am the only person in this whole country who likes the P-99 as a sport-shooting pistol.

I would like some input into manufacturers who do a Walther P-99 with a barrel of 120mm+ so IF I can get past the red tape of firearms importing, I will have a Walther P-99 with full warranty etc.

I have thought about getting the barrel extended via a flush sleeve welded on to the end (larger internal diameter than the rifling, same ext dia. as the barrel). Doing this pre-purchase (thru the fire arms dealer/gunsmith) means it avoids all the stuff around BUT voids the Walther warranty -bummer.

A threaded barrel with a PERMANENTLY fixed (welded) flash suppressor/hider would do the job as it would MAKE the barrel "legal" over here, but it would need to be flush with the barrel outside diameter so I could strip the weapon down.

I have wondered if anyone makes a similar FIXED compensator for the P-99, like the P-22 has... As it would do more than just look coool and (as mentioned) make the barrel "legal".

Any ideas/input (other than "choose a different handgun") would be appreciated!

-Cheers

Last edited by exbladerunner; April 23, 2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: p99 not p-99
Old April 23, 2010, 03:43 PM   #2
qcpunk

Would a Threaded barrel be legal in your situation? I believe the threads add about a half inch to the barrel length.

I have this site bookmarked, see if it may help you out a little...
http://www.carlwalther.com/p99as.htm
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old April 23, 2010, 09:06 PM   #3
ShipWreck

I would advise you to ask here - you will likely find more help:

http://waltherforum.com/
Old April 24, 2010, 04:07 AM   #4
exbladerunner

Cheers

Thanks for your help, ppl.

I will look into the idea of somehow convincing the aussie approved Walther importers over here to order in a threaded barrel (IF I can own one "designed" to accept a silencer, in this country with ZERO "right to keep and bear arms").

I will check the links above and keep dreaming...

Thanks again for some input.
Enjoy shooting... when ever and what ever you can!
Old April 24, 2010, 04:08 PM   #5
qcpunk

Yeah, sorry we couldn't help you out more than that. The threaded barrels were the only thing I could find online. I'm still not sure if that would meet 120mm+, but might be worth investigating. Also, you could have the thread cap (protects the threads) welded on and ground flush. That may help sidestep any issues with the firearm being "capable" of accepting a suppressor.

I hope you can get something figured out, it's a great gun, and I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it, if you can get it into Australia

Best of luck to you
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old April 25, 2010, 12:13 PM   #6
Laserlips

JMOfartO:

I've owned a P99/AS, and a P99c/AS...

Both were excellent pistols, always reliable and amazingly accurate..

Now having said that, I sold them.

Walthers come with a one year warranty, and imported HERE (and warranted) by S&W. Basically the same pistol, but manufactured by S&W is the SW99, and comes with a lifetime warranty.

My buddy has the SW99, and he and I shot the SW99 and my P99/AS "head to head" and could discern no practical difference in performance between the two.

But, regardless...

I would respectfully suggest that if the Walther P99 is not approved in your country you just forget about it and search around for the next best thing that IS approved..

Dealing with the government, well here at least, is more trouble that it's worth, and it seems that many gov't employees, or the folks making these stupid regulations are not gun friendly, and if you come up with a request that is NOT "standard" you're pretty much wasting your time beating your head against the system.

For example I'd like to have a fully automatic rifle just for plinking, but it's not approved here in the U.S. unless you buy a special "stamp" and jump thru all sorts of hoops, and in the end it's more trouble than it's worth.. So, I just put the idea away and forget about it.

I would suggest you look elsewhere for something approved, save yourself all the trouble and heartache trying to deal with the rules makers, and I'd be willing to bet sooner or later something will show up you'll like.

Just personal opinion, no offense and those with contrary opinions are welcome to express them keeping in mind I'm a semi-senile senior citizen with enlarged prostate and on blood pressure medication so be kind..

Best wishes in your search.

Jesse

P.S. Here's MY choice for a home defense pistol, and I'd be willing to bet it's legal at your house.. The 3rd Generation S&W 5906..

15+1 rds of 9MM at your pleasure.. Absolutely reliable, and more than self defense accurate.. I added a Crimson Trace Laser(grip) and it's a tack driver if the shooter will do his/her part.

All steel... Lifetime warranty... Built to last a lifetime.

Tags
australia , barrel , custom , p-99 , walther