The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 23, 2009, 02:22 AM   #1
bigted1956

shrouded muzzel break

i have two rifles that previously wore little holes in the muzzel end of the barrel. they absolutly cut the felt recoil to a very pleasant meassure,,,however im a hunter and having ear protection on in the woods is not a remote possibility for me. i tryed these rifles without ear protection and the noise actually was painfull and so i cut the little holes off and recrowned the muzzel.

since then, i have found and read a little blurp about a shrouded muzzel break that directs the noise from the break to the front and away from the shooter and those at the shooters side.

question is , i cant find a comercially available muzzel break thus equiped. does anyone know if this is a 4-sale item or will i have to manufacture this and experiment myself?

thanks,

ted
Old September 23, 2009, 03:29 AM   #2
confirmed shooter

howdy ted//I put a brake on mine and had the smith make me a crowned end cap also. works great, and it is much easier to run a patch through the barell with the brake screwed off. I just use a philips head screw-driver to put through the brake holes, and un screw it. hope it works out for you//charlie sierra
Old September 23, 2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Scorch

There are brakes that redirect the gases to the front, but the recoil reduction is less with this type of brake, and they are used mostly on smaller caliber rifles. I would seriously consider no brake at all, if I were you.

I would suggest a pair of North Sonic Ear Valves as ear plugs, they have a mechanism inside them that cuts off muzzle blast for a split second to protect your ears while hunting (these are not good for the range).