The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 22, 2013, 10:10 AM   #1
101combatvet

Bore Butter

After reading some postings on another forum and the BB label I'm thinking if a light coat of BB is applied in the cylinder chambers and of course the barrel cleaning should be easier. Even a light coat of BB on all exposed metal parts might be the way to prevent prolonged cleaning. Am I correct in assuming this?
Old April 22, 2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Pahoo

All in it's place !!

Quote:
Even a light coat of BB on all exposed metal parts might be the way to prevent prolonged cleaning.
As they say, there is a time and place for everything and that hold true for BB. Can you further explain "prolonged cleaning"? I routinely use BB where there is going to be fire, like in a bore or cylinder chambers. It will help in cleaning and keeping fouling loose. I don't use it on ourside furfaces but some do. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old April 22, 2013, 11:07 AM   #3
101combatvet

I was thinking that the areas (especially) around the inside of the frame where the cylinder rotates might clean up faster if a very liberal coating were applied. Maybe, on the outside of the cylinder itself. Cleaning the frame with a streaming hot rag should prevent disassembly of the frame. Just some thoughts... after seeing a pistol with piting around the outside of the cylinder and lower frame. I'm sure the owner that did this didn't do much of any cleaning but it got me to think about extending the the use of BB just in case. No?
Old April 22, 2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Pahoo

Go for it !!!

I think I understand better now and the application BB will assist in your cleaning but not take the lead. As I said, it keeps fouling and deposits loose. I mostly depend on Ballistol in the field, for general cleaning. Then use other solvents back in my shop. ....

Hey, try it on your applications and see how it works out for you. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old April 22, 2013, 01:13 PM   #5
brazosdave

I mainly use bore butter for lubing the arbor and the wedge pin. sometimes put some down the bore. That's about it
Old April 22, 2013, 01:20 PM   #6
Bishop Creek

I use Bore Butter on the cylinder pin and run a cloth with some on it down the bore before firing my 1858 Remington and it really seems to help not only with less binding of the cylinder while shooting, but the bore stays cleaner too. Also seems to make clean up easier. I also putter a little BB on the internals after cleaning.
Old April 22, 2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Hawg

I use BB for the bore and chambers after cleaning and for lubing the arbor during use. I have used it for over ball lube but it gets too runny in summer heat.
Old April 22, 2013, 01:24 PM   #8
101combatvet

Pahoo - do you use the Ballistol in lieu of a hot soapy water wash?
Old April 22, 2013, 01:50 PM   #9
bushmaster65

BB for arbor only here...

rarely use it in the chambers anymore. Did a hot water cleaning for the first time this weekend then after compressed air dry, bathed all three in Ballistol.
Old April 22, 2013, 03:03 PM   #10
Pahoo

Okay !!!

Quote:
Pahoo - do you use the Ballistol in lieu of a hot soapy water wash?
You are asking me a loaded question but since you asked, I will only say that my M/L's have never see water as long as I have owned them and never will. ..

At the end of my range-time, I do a flush and brush with Ballistol. When I get home to my shop, my primary solvent, is Mineral Spirits. If it's been a long day, I soak in mineral spirits for a day or two or when I can get to them. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old April 22, 2013, 03:49 PM   #11
BirchOrr

BB has it's place...

I use it it one application only. I use a pre-saturated BB ball patch when loading a traditional BP long gun. T/C sells them (item # 7003). Or, you can simply make your own with your favorite patch. It does indeed make an excellent ball/patch lube.

I agree with Hawg in that it does get runny in high heat conditions, also almost too hard to work with when it's really cold. It is a non-petroleum product which is good. In my personal experience with BP, non-petroleum products are more friendly with BP. I personally would not use it as a long term anti-rust preventative.

IMHO Ballisol is much better for crappy weather and for long term storage. It also is not a petroleum product. It emulsifies with water. (It mixes with, rather than separates). I keep a can in my truck, barn and with my guns. I also keep it with me in the brush in an empty Visiene bottle. Ya don't need much. Works awesome on metal, wood, leather, fishing gear, rifle bolts, semi-auto rifle and shotgun actions. I also use it on padlocks to keep them from freezing.

Just my .02 as usual and all the best,

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old April 22, 2013, 04:07 PM   #12
Shotput79

After cleaning my pistols I use bore butter in the bbl & cyclinders chambers. Never had a problem with rust. Use it in my bp rifle bbls also. I started useing ballistol a few yrs ago to wipe all the outside of the pistols and rifles down to. Ballistol is good stuff bore butter is good stuff if you use it where it needs to be. I been useing bore butter for over 30 yrs and my gun bbls and pistol cylinders are as new looking as the day I bought them. The ballistol I only found out about it a few yrs ago but from what I can tell it works and a bottle go's a long way.
Old April 22, 2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Roshi

BB

I've successfully used BB and/or Wonder Lube in chambers, bore, and cylinder pin. However, recent experiments tell me TW25B on the cylinder pin is more effective.
Old April 22, 2013, 06:50 PM   #14
Doc Hoy

I hate Bore Butter

I'd rather have a sister in a whore house than use Bore Butter
Old April 22, 2013, 07:41 PM   #15
kwhi43

I have used it on sore muscles, and on my hair once. But never, never on a gun.
Old April 22, 2013, 08:49 PM   #16
101combatvet

Doc - what do you use?
Old April 22, 2013, 09:47 PM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
and on my hair once.
Care to elaborate? N/M I don't think I wanna know.
Old April 22, 2013, 09:58 PM   #18
Doc Hoy

Two different things for two different purposes

that accomplish the things the OP mentioned...

I clean fastidiously after each outing. Then I douche the revolver down good with rem oil. I wipe the pisttol down often during the day of shooting. I use bore lube which I make up for the arbor. Keep in mind that I do not do CAS and so speed is no part of my decision.

I also smear bore lube over the bullets as a gas seal and lubricant.

I have three different recipes and I haven't decided about the apps.

Half and half Crisco and toilet wax rings. This lube is rather thinand in the summer needs to be adjusted with more wax ring.

Half and Half mutton tallow and beeswax. This is much thicker and works well for BP cartridges.

1 to 2 Lard to Beeswax. Again this is a good lube for cartridges.

These latter two are quite stiff for use as an over the bullet lube. But they should work right for wads.

As far as lubes are concerned my development knowledge is in its infancy. Others here are far samarter than me.

But I hate Thompson's Bore Butter
Old April 22, 2013, 10:11 PM   #19
BirchOrr

Uh-huh

Quote:
I'd rather have a sister in a whore house than use Bore Butter
Seems I'm chopped liver here Doc, so you're going to be the one that someone might listen to.

Quote:
Never had a problem with rust
This is because you live in N. Carolina. Try using it in Michigan. You might think differently. Take it to Alaska or WAY down south where Hawg lives and tell me how it works.

All the best gentleman,

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old April 22, 2013, 11:56 PM   #20
Hawg

Quote:
This is because you live in N. Carolina. Try using it in Michigan. You might think differently. Take it to Alaska or WAY down south where Hawg lives and tell me how it works.
Actually I don't have a problem with rust.
Old April 23, 2013, 12:24 AM   #21
tahunua001

prevent prolonged cleaning? I have no idea what that is supposed to be but no it doesn't do anything special to prevent you from having to clean after use.

it acts as a sealant during storage to keep from rusting when not in use and serves as a bullet lube when in use, afterwards you still need to clean with hot soapy water or your gun will rust.
Old April 23, 2013, 05:42 AM   #22
Doc Hoy

Birch said

"You're going to have to be the one people listen to."

(Meaning me)

Lord! I hope not.

I am a veritable gold mine of misinfomation. I shoot from the hip about 60 percent of the time. I never let my ignorance prevent me from rendering an opinion.

I encourage everyone to look critically at every word I post. Most of the people who post here have more experience, more smarts or more skill than I do.

But I am right about Bore Butter. It is like it was developed by someone who never shot a BP revolver.
Old April 23, 2013, 06:29 AM   #23
Hawg

Quote:
It is like it was developed by someone who never shot a BP revolver.
Its not the be all gun lube its touted to be and once I finish what I have I doubt I'll buy any more. What's your problem with it tho?
Old April 23, 2013, 09:27 AM   #24
Doc Hoy

Well..For starters...

It smells like an "old folks home". I am told there is an "unscented" variety but my guestion would be, "Why, in the name of God, would there be a scented version?"

Then you add to the fact that it does not stay where you put it in hot weather.

If it sits in the tube very long it separates into its individual components which appears to be equal parts thousand island dressing, ear wax and perfume.

Then there is the four or five bucks per tube.

Who are they trying to kid?!
Old April 23, 2013, 10:15 AM   #25
Hawg

It does get runny in summer heat but I kinda like the smell. I bought a bunch of tubes for about a dollar apiece at a closeout sale. It does ok for lubing bores and chambers after cleaning which is all I use it for now. It makes a pretty decent patch lube too.