The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 29, 1999, 12:57 PM   #1
Doctari

Any one have a book that shows a load for 9mm Luger 122gr cast bullet with Alliant Power Pistol powder?

I have several books but can't find this particular combination in any of them.

Any help appreciated
Doctari
Old May 30, 1999, 11:02 PM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Cast bullets in 9mm are an "iffy" proposition. It's sometimes difficult to find a really accurate load in some nines using cast bullets. However, I've had decent results with 6.9 gr. Blue Dot, or 5.5 of Unique. Chronographed velocity of the Blue Dot load is about 1166 ft/sec. Best.
Old May 30, 1999, 11:03 PM   #3
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

I forgot. I believe Alliant used to be Hercules.
Old May 31, 1999, 03:45 PM   #4
Doctari

Thanks for the thoughts. I have some info on bullseye and unique already. Yes, Alliant used to be hercules. I bought some of the Power Pistol to use in my 38 wad cutter loads to increase the load density in the case. Thought I'd try it in my 9mm too but cant find loads for Power Pistol with my usual 122 gr. cast bullet.

I have a load for 125gr lead round nose with power pistol. Thought about trying the low end powder charge listed but since the 9mm is a high pressure case already I was a little reluctant to go experimenting.

The load for the 125gr bullet is a low velocity target load under 1000 fps. Anyone have any thoughts on whether this would be safe to try with a 122gr bullet?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Doctari
Old May 31, 1999, 04:45 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Doctari, I have hesitated answering this post since, IMO, it isn't very wise to give reloading info on bulletin boards. It's always best to go to the source, in manuals or on a powder mfg's web site. That said, it is perfectly ok to use the data you have for a 125 gr lead bullet with a 122 gr lead bullet. You're talking about only a 2% difference in weight. This is true if-and-only-if you got your data from a reputable source. As always, start at the min and work up whenever you change a component. But, do not use data for a 125 jacketed with a 122 gr lead or vice versa.

Power Pistol powder is a high energy powder with a fairly slow burn rate, slower than Unique. I see that Alliant doesn't give any data for it for 9mm lead on their web site, so maybe you should take that as a hint. But, again, if your data is to be trusted, you can use it for the 122 gr.
Old May 31, 1999, 10:16 PM   #6
Doctari

Thanks for the input mal!!

I went back and and looked in the Speer reloading manual at the 125gr lead round nose. I thought there was a power pistol loading there but it was winchester action pistol. Perhaps the 122gr is too light to cause effective combustion of the slower burning powder?

In any event in today's litiginous society I can understand your reluctance to post reloading guidance. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject. I guess if I want higher load density I go to unique.

Could you please post the URL for the Alliant web page? I'd like to book mark that one.

Doctari

Check for that double charge<g>
Old May 31, 1999, 10:57 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Sure thing, you can find Alliant at:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/

I like your tag line "Check for that double charge". I have an old casing taped to my press that has the primer practically welded to the brass and the head stamp is so flattened that you can't read it. I don't even want to know what the pressure excursion was on that one. Fortunately this happened in a gun that could take it, no harm done. But seeing it everytime I start to reload is a great reminder.

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited June 01, 1999).]
Old June 10, 1999, 05:10 PM   #8
Yodar

Re: Power Pistol and 9mm.

I too, was disappointed to see the absence of 9mm lead for this powder. BUT, since I would test fire it in a CZ52 with 9mm bbl that has nobly withstood some pretty stiff loads,and provided excellent accuracy, I charged on.

I'm still working with power pistol, and receive excellent performance, comparable to the AA#7 load at 6 grains for the 120 gr RN cast.

I dont need to do any more than punch holes in paper so I sometimes get good performance as low as 15% below published starting loads.

You might recall the CZ52's performance with 7.62 x 25 ammo is rather astounding...loud discharge and exciting muzzle flash. Well, power pistol's muzzle flash in the above load is similarly FUN!

In discussions with wiser reloaders than myself, I'm told to look at Winchester Super Light (WSL) for my gallery application. They claim its a very efficient and clean powder with modest velocities. A can is on order.

Using Accurate powders, I used 3.9 gr A#2, 7 gr AA# 7 to get equivalent performance with the same bullet. If you study the manuals, you'll see they arent hot loads. They all make my Ruger P-95, CZ 52 and Browning pistols behave well and perform targetwise.

Rotsa ruck!
Yodar
Old June 15, 1999, 04:47 PM   #9
cornered rat

Be careful with that 9mm barrel for CZ52. I know 9mm Tokarevs had real problems because so little metal is left after boring out the barrel.