The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 18, 2010, 07:31 AM   #1
rosewood

Caps for my dragoon

I have been a bp revolver owner for 8 months now. my first is a 51 colt, second a walker, my third a used authentic dragoon(second generation.). Do to all the information on this forum its been a very good experiance, ( and addictive.) I am having some issues with the dragoon, the manual calls for #11 caps, I purchased some remingtons from cabelas, they dont fit. They appear to be the some as my #10. they fit the 51 and walker like a glove. I saw a tread here giving the diameter as smaller than #10. Cabelas is a 1 hour drive, should i give a different box of remingtons a try?
Old September 18, 2010, 08:54 AM   #2
salvadore

I use to use #11 caps on all the various C&B revolvers I have owned, but started using #10 remingtons on all my current C&B revolvers. Don't have to bend them to fit and they seem to work well.
Old September 18, 2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

Different brands can fit differently despite being labeled as one thing or another. You just will have to try more brands or change nipples.
BTW if your Dragoon is "authentic", you were very lucky the instruction manual survived the last 150 years.
Old September 18, 2010, 09:48 AM   #4
denster

Try the CCI#11 or Winchester(same as CCI) Those are are as large as it gets.
Caps are a crapshoot generally. #10 Remingtons work on most of mine except three that I have to use #11CCI. When I hit the Lottery they all get replaced with Tresso.
Old September 18, 2010, 11:36 AM   #5
rosewood

The manual and the box called it authentic colt. I dont believe i mentioned antique.
Old September 18, 2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
if your Dragoon is "authentic", you were very lucky the instruction manual survived the last 150 years.
He did say second generation.
Old September 18, 2010, 02:33 PM   #7
rosewood

I will order the cci#11 right away,they certainly wont go to waste ether way. I bought the revolver almost 2 months ago, i'am getting anxious to shoot it. As I am sure you have heard before, this forum has been an absolutely invaluable source of information. Since I have only been lurking anonymously for many months I would like to say thanks to all.
Old September 18, 2010, 03:07 PM   #8
Hawg

I had one Pietta Remington that took #11 CCI. The rest take #10. I can only get #10 Remingtons locally. Even tho I don't care for them much I use them anyway.
Old September 18, 2010, 03:21 PM   #9
rosewood

I have only used remington so far. With cabelas being the only local source I have found so far. Pirodex also a cabela item, its time I go with mail order and try some new products.
Old September 18, 2010, 04:29 PM   #10
wogpotter

Try this before you do a 4-hour round trip.
Seat an existing cap on the nipple as best as you can.
Rotate the cylinder till that nipple is under the hammer.
*Carefully, & with all your fingers behind the cylinder mouth*
Lower the hammer onto the cap.
Now push the hammer firmly down as it would go when firing.
Re-cock, spin the cylinder & FIRE THE CAP ONLY, NO POWDER, NO WAD, & NO BALL, IN A SAFE DIRECTION. If it works try the other 5 chambers as well the same way.
What you are doing is using the hammer as a primer seating ram.
If it works then you can use the caps you have, for now, but I would try a tad bigger next time.
Old September 18, 2010, 05:58 PM   #11
Andy Griffith

There is a chance that, I think it may take #12's, IIRC.

If this is the case, the nipples may have to be changed to use #10's or #11's, which is no problem.

#12 caps are like trying to find ingrown hen's teeth, and priced as collectibles, not something you'd want to shoot.
Old September 18, 2010, 06:19 PM   #12
Hawg

Quote:
There is a chance that, I think it may take #12's, IIRC.
Maybe with an early clone, not with a Colt I'm thinking. I have a 58 that takes #9 caps.
Old September 18, 2010, 06:50 PM   #13
rosewood

Simple but effective,its a little work,the sides split but they do go on. I suppose a nipple change would keep all revolvers consistent.
Old September 18, 2010, 07:56 PM   #14
Andy Griffith

All the early 2nd generation Colt trademarked Walkers and Dragoons took #12's just like the originals. This is likely one of those earlier guns.

I have a friend with one of the early Colt 2nd Generation Walkers that I gave a tin of #12's to for collectability. This is a true hartfod horsey logo gun in the hartford horsey logo box. He won't get any more from me though, as I now have three bricks of #12's and I'm a hoarder.

Here's a thread where Gatofeo supports this also:
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=9703.0