The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old March 29, 2007, 05:55 PM   #1
Mike1951

Gulf Coast Ammunition

My gripe with this firm is limited strictly to their ads in Shotgun News.

I have been watching their ad for a few months and it seems to appear in every other issue of Shotgun News.

They are a dealer for Wolf, Aguila, and S&B and listed prices are excellent.

When you call, you find out that actual prices are several dollars higher than advertised.

When I asked why, I was told they didn't have time to maintain the ad.

I'm sorry, but to continually run an ad with prices they have no intention of honoring is at least deceitful.

This is not to say that even the higher prices are not fair, as I asked about .303 British Wolf Gold shown in the ad for $8.50/20. Even the $11.50 I was quoted is very competitive.

I just don't like dealing with companies that intentionally and knowingly misrepresent their prices.

Mike
Old March 30, 2007, 12:11 PM   #2
9mmHP

Doesn't SGN have a policy on misleading ads? I don't have a subscription any more, but did for years and I seem to recall some policy of rejecting untruthful ads.
Old March 30, 2007, 02:33 PM   #3
Mike1951

I just called subscriber services for SGN.

I was told I needed to write their corporate offices.

I'm not sure how much stink I want to raise over this.

They've been in business for a long time and their actual price is still very competitive.

A deceptive ad just rubs me wrong.

They still list Wolf 7.62x39 for $122/1000.

Why not flood them with calls wanting to order at that price?

Mike
Old April 2, 2007, 01:15 PM   #4
Eghad

If that is Gulf Coast Ammuniton in Groves, Texas? I actually went to his physical location and was told that he does drop shipments from the company he buys from and had no actual ammunition at his physical location for sale. That might be from Wolf itself and whatever the price they charge plus his markup is what you pay probably. He at least needs to say call for prices in his add or e-mail him. I imagine if you could get a group buy together he could get you a better price because I would imagine for a large order there would be discounts and the shipping costs could be prorated out.

NRA Life Member
Old April 2, 2007, 02:08 PM   #5
Mike1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eghad
If that is Gulf Coast Ammuniton in Groves, Texas? I actually went to his physical location and was told that he does drop shipments from the company he buys from and had no actual ammunition at his physical location for sale.
Yes, that's the one. I also asked if they had a storefront that I could visit and shop and was told no.

The first time I called, I didn't have my thoughts together about exactly what I wanted to order and pretty well got a "bum's rush" off the phone. I had asked if there was a current list of what they had available. I got a brusqe "what caliber do you want to order" response.

It was about a month later that I called back (cooling off period for me) with a completed order list and found the prices were much higher than the March 20 SGN ad.

I still may buy from them when they are competitive, but just wanted to alert other potential customers.

Mike