The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 15, 2001, 09:19 PM   #1
kidcoltoutlaw

i hate the aps but love the tube prime system.the cams break to easy on the aps and the tube system is built like a tank.it only take 2 or 3 min. to load a tube dont see where that is such a big deal.other than the aps i love the press.i may be the problem with the aps because so many people love it how could it be wrong,thanks,keith
Old May 16, 2001, 12:10 AM   #2
Steve in PA

I still use the RCBS Rockchucker with the tube priming system. I have no problems with it...might take a bit longer, but I'm happy
Old May 16, 2001, 12:16 AM   #3
Kenneth L. Walters

Talk to RCBS about this today. They said that almost no one is buying the tube primer system.

Personally I think that the APS primer system on the 2000 is the best primer system on a progressive that I've ever seen. As I've owned about three dozen progressives (use to collect them), I don't think that it has an equal. What don't you like about it/
Old May 17, 2001, 09:26 PM   #4
Brooks

RCBS Pro 2000

I bought my RCBS Pro 2000 this year and don't have too much experience with it yet. I must say that I haven't fallen in love with the APS priming system. If you forget to put the next strip on too late, you have to pull it through and then try to count empty holes to get a primer in the cup and if you try to clip a new strip on too soon with too much of it still hanging out, the weight and leverage keeps it from holding together.(The plastic strips mate together) The fully loaded strip bends down like a limp prick.

The machine is certainly built like a tank. The APS system will be the weakest link.

I've gotten two primers in the cup a couple of times and have had to unscrew the star wheel and plate to get the case out. This problem should be solved when I get the rythum down pat and clip the strips together at the right time.

Progressive reloading does take more single minded concentration. It takes a little neck stretch to check powder level in station #4 before placing the bullet. I haven't used the powder check die yet, opting for the factory crimp die in station #5.

All the case and bullet handling takes place with your left hand and your right hand can stay on the lever. I like the 5 holes and the option of using the factory crimp die in #5.

That said, how can you top the experience and opinion of Mr. Walters?

Old May 18, 2001, 01:21 AM   #5
Bill Adair

I'm considering the Pro 2000, as well as the Dillon 550, and Hornady LNL.

My main concern is with the strip priming system, even though it has the potential to be very fast, and easy to use.

When I talked to RCBS about the strips, I suggested they consider offering them on rolls with greater capacity than the existing 25, but they didn't seem interested?

Do you think a bracket could be mounted somehow, to hold a continuous roll of primers, and could they be pulled out of the feeder backwards, without feeding the entire roll through, when you need to change primer types?

What about the reported parts failure. Does anyone know if this an operator problem, or a mechanical weakness in the system?

Handling bullets and cases with the left hand may have a speed advantage, as I've heard the Dillon 550 requires letting go of the handle, and using both hands to feed bullets and insert new cases.

Bill

Old May 18, 2001, 06:18 PM   #6
kidcoltoutlaw

it may have been my fault about the broken parts.but if you get a primer jamed so that the cam takes the force of the jam it will break.i love the tube system it takes 2 or 3 min. to load a tube and you would have to have a hammer to break it.i cant see the powder level at all how do you do that.the first rounds and the last are where you could run into a problem if you dont watch what you are doing .after you get started if you try to double charge a case there will already be a bullet in the one in the seater die and when you come down you wont be able to seat a primer so you should see a red flag and check things out at that time.over all i love it had a hornady projector it would never seat primers deep enough unless you cut the pockets ever so often this press will seat them.
Old May 18, 2001, 07:30 PM   #7
Bill Adair

Kid,

Did RCBS give you any kind of break on the tube feeder system, since you had problems with the strip feeder?

Bill
Old May 19, 2001, 08:22 PM   #8
kidcoltoutlaw

i never even ask for a break on it to tell you the truth they did say give them a call but i have not done it yet but i have broke a few cams and they keep sending me more to break,dont no if i even wont to use the aps the tube system works so well and is trouble free as well
Old May 20, 2001, 06:16 AM   #9
HandloaderJohn

I have had my RCBS 2000 for about a year now and once I learned all the tricks with the aps priming system, I love it.
My only rant is this, the APS primers are like finding the " Jewel of the Nile" at retailers, I have searched and searched, of the retailers who actually know what APS primers are, not one has had them in stock. ( San Antonio and Dallas )
I have had to pay the Haz-Mat fee and order on-line.
That's all I have to say about that.

[Edited by HandloaderJohn on 05-20-2001 at 11:42 AM]
Old May 20, 2001, 01:16 PM   #10
Bill Adair

John,

What do you think of the RCBS strip loading tool? If you use Winchester primers, they may not work as well as other brands!

I had switched to Winchester primers almost exclusively, because they are what's sold at our gun shows, and at the best prices.

I noticed that I was having difficulty with them in my Lee Autoprime tool. They took longer to shake upright, and they didn't feed into the feed channel, unless I constantly agitated the tool to keep them moving. That was a PITA!

Ran a little test, by placing CCI and Winchester primers side by side along the rim in my Autoprime tray, and tilting the tray slowly away from the primers. As suspected, the CCI primers slide all the way to the opposite rim, before the Winchester primers even began to move!

Evidently, the process they use to add the brass color to those primers is not smooth, and causes them to hang.

CCI primers are harder to find at our shows, but I'm slowly switching back, as my supply of fancy Winchester brass colored primers runs down.

Bill
Old May 20, 2001, 07:10 PM   #11
HandloaderJohn

Ditto on the Winchester primers Bill.
I also have , more than few boxes of Winchester primers because of the great prices at evil gun shows.
I found the strip loading tool very finicky, in fact I don't use it, I just use a piece of cabinet grade plywood and press them in by hand.

Old May 20, 2001, 07:35 PM   #12
kidcoltoutlaw

it does look like im the only one using the tube system.they sent me the parts to fix the aps.but i dont think i will because i have zero problems with the tube system like i said you would have to take a hammer to it to get it not to work,love the tube system
Old May 20, 2001, 09:15 PM   #13
Bill Adair

John,

You weren't trying to use Win primers in that finicky strip loader, were you?

I think my dealer would order CCI primers in the strip if I asked, and probably would not charge me a hazmat fee? The fee is pretty much included in his primer prices anyway.

Kid,

What do you think was the cause of your strip primer system breaking?

They tell me that the press handle must be operated full stroke each and every time? Unfortunately, it's all too easy to accidentally short stroke, if you get in a hurry, or distracted. Could that be what's happening?

The reason I ask, is that I really would like to buy that press, but you have me worried that something is wrong with the primer system.

Bill
Old May 20, 2001, 09:31 PM   #14
kidcoltoutlaw

no i think it was my fault i think i tried to use large primer with the small cup.but to me it worth it even if you had to buy the tube system to me its worth the money and then some .it worked fine to start with then i changed from 357 sig to 44 mag.so i think you will not have a problem just dont let the primers build up in the pocket under the primer cup under the press shell plate it will only hapen it you work the press with out a case in place.and i did that to im a dummy ok but the press is great love it. to me it worth at least 200 more it is great ,thanks,keith
Old May 21, 2001, 05:40 AM   #15
HandloaderJohn

Bill, my local retailers told me they would not order them, go figure, Cabelas and UPS had no trouble putting a case of 5K CCI APS on my door, much less hassle, even with the Haz-Mat, so that will hold me for a while.
I still use my Winchester primers in the Dillion. I am seeing Green and Blue on the bench.
Old May 21, 2001, 03:44 PM   #16
Bill Adair

Keith,

I don't believe for a minute that your a dummy! Lot's of people are just not mechanically inclined, or naturally methodical, and that has absolutely nothing to do with smarts, or I would be in real trouble!

Thanks for your interesting insight on the RCBS Pro 2000.

John,

What Dillon press do you have?

I'm looking seriously at the 550B, but I'm put off by the limited number of die stations. I seat and crimp in separate steps, and might like to try a powder check system some day, but don't think I could use it on a four station press, and still crimp separately?

If my dealer refused to order strip primers for me, he would not be my dealer for long!

Bill

Old May 21, 2001, 03:57 PM   #17
kidcoltoutlaw

i was looking at the 550b myself but like the rcbs better both are great at what they do .dont no for sure but i think its easier to change calibers with the rcbs.i had a hornady loved it to but it had trouble seating the primers deep enough.wish the rcbs had another die station for a powder checker die .i to seat and crimp with different dies i got the idea from serria they know there stuff.you cant go wrong with either press you can bet on that.to change primer cup size on the rcbs its turn one screw do it almost as fast as you can type it but then i dont type real fast,thanks,keith
Old May 21, 2001, 05:22 PM   #18
Bill Adair

Keith,

Thanks for the additional comments. Much appreciated.

RCBS mentions a lockout die in their catalog, and if I understand correctly, it's a powder checker? Would that work for you?

What happened to your Hornady press? I have a friend who is looking for another one, so he won't have to change primer sizes so often. If you still have yours, and want to sell, let me know.

Bill

Old May 21, 2001, 05:58 PM   #19
HandloaderJohn

Bill:
I have a little SBD set up for 45acp, I love that little guy, Dillon makes good stuff.
And you are right, that guy at Gibsons ( local yokal) ain't my retailer anymore, thank God for on-line ordering, Midway, Cabellas....The nicest reloading retailer I have ever been to in my 49 years was in Billings Montana, Scheels Sport Shops ,
now those folks understand what a reloader wants, they had IMR for 14 bucks a pound, not bad for retail, and a long row of presses and other goodies.
Too bad I don't live there.
PS, The 5th stage is nice on my 2000, I use it for the crimp on pistol bullets.

[Edited by HandloaderJohn on 05-21-2001 at 07:26 PM]
Old May 21, 2001, 10:37 PM   #20
Bill Adair

John,

I think the SDB is a heck of a bargain, and about the only complaint I have with it, is the odd ball dies! If I hadn't recently converted over to all carbide die sets for my handguns, that would not be such a problem.

We pass through Montana on the way to Denver once in a while, and have stayed overnight in Billings. I'll have to see if that shop is still there next time through.

I have to take a closer look at the Pro 2000. All of my other gear is RCBS, and I wouldn't have to buy many extras to use my RCBS dies.

Bill
Old May 22, 2001, 05:25 AM   #21
HandloaderJohn

Bill, Scheels was there in March this year, it is located in a Mall ( only in Montana do they have reloading stores in a Mall ) they also have a great gun section, I know , I spent 850 bucks on a Taylor Sharpes while looking at reloading toys, and no sales tax, what a great place.