The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2000, 01:58 AM   #1
a-bolt

wanted to load...

howdy folks,

i just started loading for the .30-06 [i own an a-bolt medallion] i am looking for load data that will lay a trajectory that aproximates that of the Nosler BT 150gr. which will be my deer medicine. I want to shoot more so I am in good form for The Moment but of course it gets expensive and besides I want practice reloading so I can make my own spcl. combo b4 going afield.

my dad died recently and i dont have hime to as for these types of questions anymore.

can you folks suggest the following?

1 - what mail order company other than midway that is close to Los Angeles that has good prices on reloading stuff all around. I like natchez but they're in TN and shipping is murder.

2 - type of basic inexpensive [i'm on a student's budget] bullet that is copper jacket boat tail in 150 gr.

3 - what type of powder? IMR was what I was recomended as good stuff. Perhaps there is a better inexpensive though.

4 - load data. the range I want will be 100 - 250 yrds. so nothing too beefy is needed. I am still getting used to shooting positions for this rifle and learning to not flynch, do follow thru etc. if the load can be found on the published on the net then thats prefered. I went to nosler.com but they did not publish load data for my bullet, the .308 BT in 150GR.

Q: Can I just use the SPEER Manual 13 for 150 GR. BT FMJ on page 296? i.e. will that load work to aproximate the 150gr nosler BT?

OK, I hope this is clear enough and I look fwd. to seeing your responses.

A-bolt

------------------
Qui tacit consentire.
Who is silent is understood to give consent. i.e. Don't sit by while people slowly take your rights. Stand up and get involved!
Old September 22, 2000, 09:46 AM   #2
Hutch

Generally speaking, with the usual warnings, you can START with the same starting loads for one jacketed bullet/weight with another brand of jacketed bullet in the same weight.

I have had very good luck with Hornady 150 gr SP (#3031) in .30-'06. It's not a boat tail, but at the ranges you describe, I don't think it matters. I've heard other folks cuss Hornady. Just depends, I guess. You might try AA2520 powder. It's a ball powder that meters well and has a good reputation for accuracy in this caliber.

FYI, there's no reason at all not to hunt with your handloads, and quit buying factory ammo altogether. Maybe I misunderstand. If you're loading the Nosler 150BT, you're not going to find a softpoint hunting bullet that is more than a couple cents less expensive per bullet. If you're buying ammo loaded w/ Nosler BT's, stop. Load your own.

All the best, and bring any questions...
Old September 22, 2000, 01:00 PM   #3
Paul B.

A-bolt. Welcome to the world of reloading.
If I understand you correctly, you want to load the Nosler Ballistic tip in a 30-06 for hunting purposes out to about 250 yards? Is this correct?
First off, let's save you a few bucks by recommending a different bullet. If tiu want a 150 gr. bullet, try the Sierra 150 gr. flat base. (Boattails cost more and a flat base is more than adequate out past 250 yards.) Nosler only gives 50 bullets to the box, and Sierra gives 100 bullets to the box.
There are many powders suitable for what you are looking for, but I don't post loads on the forums. You can E-mail me for recommendations though.
You can use the Speer data, starting with the mildest loads and work up.
A couple of points on boattail bullets. At the closer ranges, at any speed, they have a tendency to shed their cores. Also, the boattail does very little to flatten trajectory until the bullet gets farther out than most people should be shooting at a living creature.
The longest shot I ever made on any animal was with a .308 Winchester, the 150 gr. Sierra I mentioned, at a range of 427 paces, witnessed. One shot, one deer. I'll be the first to admit that it was luck that I even hit him at all. I would not have fired at all, but the deer was already wounded, and escaping.
Although I use a 165 gr. bullet these days, I still stick to a flat base. I have not used a factory load for hunting in almost 40 years.
Anyway, if I can help you in any way, E-mail me and I'll do what I can.
Paul B.
Old September 22, 2000, 06:34 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Since the primary benefit of practicing is eye-hand coordination on the trigger/sight-picture, and away from a bench rest, I'd recommend loading with 100-grain plinkers. You can use something like 25 grains of 2400. This makes for a cheaper load and a lot more shooting practice for the money. Just re-zero your scope when you're ready for serious hunting, is all...

Hornady Spire Points are good bullets, as are the Remington Bronze Points. And there are sure no flies on the Nosler. Like my father and uncle before me, I've used 150-grain bullets more than any other. 50 years, now.

My first several years of reloading were with a Lyman 310 tong tool and the cheapest powder scale I could find. I know I loaded close to 500 rounds "the hard way".

Hope this helps, Art
Old September 23, 2000, 01:46 PM   #5
Paul B.

Art. A Lyman 310? I thought I was the only one using one of those "nutcrackers". I still do, when working up test loads. I'm still looking for dies in the calibers I load. Sometimes I use them just as a form of relaxation. Kind of a way of going back to a time less rushed.
Paul B.
Old September 23, 2000, 04:22 PM   #6
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

A-bolt, you may want to try this place for 150 grain FMJ bullets and also, the IMR4895 surplus powder at $64 for 8 pounds is a bargain. It cost me a total of $84 for a keg of it ($64 for the powder and $20 for hazmat and shipping). Thats still right at $10 a pound compared to at least $20 a pound in stores. http://www.zcr.com/hitech

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old September 24, 2000, 02:00 AM   #7
a-bolt

thanks 1 and all for your thoughtful responses. good ideas up there. also, thanks for the tip on the site with bullet/powder deal. hazmat fee sucks.

for clarity i would like to post the following, basicly my email to paul:

thanks for responding to my post. my goal, being a poor student and all, was to make 2 loads. 1st i need a cheap bullet in 150 gr. and a load to push it out to my practice range of ~250. as for powder and bullet components i want cheap all around. dont cringe. i want to be able to learn this browning a-bolt to shoot confidently when its time to do buisness. as it stands now i am not satisifed at my performance and i want more practice but i cant afford to make a bunch of primo loads to do it. i did find some cheap pulled mil. surplus .308 fmjbt bullets at www.wideners.com
$39/500. are these ok to use for my practice rounds?

2nd i want the load to mimic the hunting load that i will be using: a 150 gr nosler pt with speer manual 13 data being used. i dont know what powder to use for this buisness bullet so i'm open to suggestions. once i have practiced adequately i will load up my hunting loads using the nosler bullets and then practice a few shots witht them. of course, i could never afford to practice with them as many guys at the range do as per norm.

you guys might get a chuckle from this newbie mistake. last 2 nites i worked away on my once fired factory brass that will be used for my maiden round of reloads. i wanted to make them all nicely chamfered in and out of the case mouth so away i went with the lee deburr tool (looks like a cone with a slit in the top). So i turn and turn and brass shavings fly and then when done with the batch of 20+ i measure them.... whoa way way below the trim-to length. he he. lesson learned: brass is soft be careful and measure frequently. who knows what mistakes remain to be made. oh, well, im glad i caught this one before i shortchambered a round.

thanks again all.

------------------
Qui tacit consentire.
Who is silent is understood to give consent. i.e. Don't sit by while people slowly take your rights. Stand up and get involved! Check out my website: www.geocities.com/abolt3006/