The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 12, 2004, 05:03 PM   #1
Casp_A

SKS magazine problem

Okay, if you didn't gather it from the title, I have a problem with the magazine on my SKS. It's a Chinese model, NORINCO T-56 Carbine, got it for $215, all matching serial #'s, good metal condition, has bayo. Now, when I shoot it, it functions perfectly until I get to the second-to-last shot. When the bolt recoils after the shot, it properly ejects the round, but then the last round in the mag, which should move to the top of the mag and get chambered as soon as the bolt goes forward, just jumps out! Sometimes it gets stovepiped in front of the bolt, sometimes it clears it and goes flying as if it's just been fired and ejected, and sometimes the bolt locks open with the last round just sitting on top of the mag, but it happens every single time with out fail. I've had this problem with one other gun, an Ingram M11/9 (yes legal, no not mine). I'm assuming either the lips or follower are miss-shapen. I'd perfer not to replace it 'cause it's the original mag, and I haven't taken it to a gunsmith yet. Any ideas or recommendations? Something I might be able to fix myself?

Last edited by Casp_A; August 12, 2004 at 09:59 PM.
Old August 12, 2004, 11:07 PM   #2
DiN BLiX

sounds like a easy fix, remove the magizine and see it the follower tries to come out between the feed lips. If it does it could be "popping" the last round up out of the mag instead of letting the bolt strip it out of the mag. mesing with the lips could mess up more stuff so see if its the follower first. a compitant smith may be able to fix you up.
Old October 8, 2004, 10:28 PM   #3
Arc Angel

Well, this reply might be late; but, like they say, better late than never! The first thing I'd look at is the angle of the follower. I suspect that yours is too steep and should be flattened out a little.