The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 19, 2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Andy Griffith

Why not long barrels on 1858's on steel frames?

Why does Pietta insist on only putting the 12" barrels on brass frame guns of both Colt and Remington style?

Wouldn't they be more effective on steel frame guns?

On a side note, does anyone know if the threads on 1858's from Pietta and Uberti are the same thread? I guess I can call VTI and they'll tell me tomorrow, but that would be too easy.
Old June 19, 2011, 02:32 PM   #2
the rifleer

It doesn't really matter. I have a friend with a 1858 with a 12'' barrel and it works fine. You just can't pack it full of powder, but you can't do that with a steel frame anyway so it doesn't really matter. There is nothing wrong with brass
Old June 19, 2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Andy Griffith

Just wondered why there isn't more choices with the long barrels.
Old June 19, 2011, 02:55 PM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
You just can't pack it full of powder, but you can't do that with a steel frame anyway so it doesn't really matter.
Sure you can. You can't overload a steel frame with bp or Pyrodex.
Old June 20, 2011, 01:21 PM   #5
noelf2

Pietta does make a steel frame buffalo model 1858 with 12" barrel. USA just doesn't import them, or Pietta doesn't export them to us for some reason. I've seen them on websites in Canada and Europe. I have a brass frame with 12" barrel. Bought it to remove the barrel and swap it with my target model steel frame 8" barrel. Big no-go for that plan. The barrel won't come off without the possibility of hosing up the frame (took it to a smithy). I think Pietta solders/welds them on now. So now I have a 12" barrel brass frame buffalo model that I don't intend to use. Was worth a try though.

Second thought, you can get a Pietta stainless steel 12" barrel 1858. Costly though.
Old June 21, 2011, 08:13 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Why does Pietta insist on only putting the 12" barrels on brass frame guns of both Colt and Remington style?
You can find the 12" barrels with a steel frame. They are hard to come by.

This one is nickle plated.

Old June 21, 2011, 12:06 PM   #7
BConklin

Pietta also makes a stainless 12" barrel 1858 - you can get it from Cabelas
Old June 22, 2011, 05:40 PM   #8
Shotput79

1558 12" Steel Frames

1858 Rem. 'Buffalo Target' .44 w. adj. sights (steel)
Long-barreled steel frame single action .44 black powder revolver with adjustable rear sight, and 12" octagonal barrel.
PT-RGTB44 (in stock) $379.00

I found this steel frame 58 at www.marstar.ca

I don't know if this will help you out or not. If I was going to get a 58 with a 12" barrel I would want a steel frame also. I'm not picking on people with the brass frame revolvers. The SS models are really nice but cost a lot more. I have a brass frame model 51 Colt .44 cal that people either hate it or love it. I like mine. It's a straight shooter, and I shoot it a lot. The steel frames can take a little more powder than the brass frames, but that doesn't mean they are any more accurate. As for the 12" 58 I believe they have it in case harden frames also. There's so much to pick from. If you buy one and shoot it, sooner or later you'll buy a second.

noelf2 I over looked what you posted about the revolvers not being sold in the U.S. I don't guess the web site I posted is any good for any of us. SORRY!!!

Last edited by Shotput79; June 25, 2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Over looked a couple post