The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 6, 2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Chris_B

Traditions. What's the deal

Piettas, right? Traditions BP firearms are just Piettas.

So what's the deal? Are they cheaper? Made differently? Saw a Traditions 1851 (no squareback, and in .44) with a steel frame today

I prefer the 1860 myself, but I like the 1851s too although it would need to be squareback. The price I saw was actually reasonable and I was tempted, but the revolver was listed as "Traditions", not Pietta, and it was not in a box or case, it was just out with the other new handguns
Old July 6, 2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Andy Griffith

Traditions is an American importer, marketer and distributor of certain guns for Pietta, Pedersoli and other various Spanish makers of muzzleloaders, and in the past, shotguns. Usually the guns themselves aren't marked with the importer (Traditions, Dixie, Cabellas, etc.) because muzzleloaders do not have to be like cartridge guns.

Pietta doesn't have a "Pietta USA" office, so these importers act as a "de facto" agent for bringing these pieces and for service and parts.
Old July 6, 2010, 06:23 PM   #3
wittzo

They're not cheaper, that's for sure. Right now, you can get a Pietta Remington NMA in stainless with target sights for $350 while they're on sale, the same pistol sells for $550 at Traditions.

The only advantage to buying it from Traditions is the 2 year warranty, but only if it's not significantly more expensive somewhere else. Traditions also checks the pistols out before selling them, you can consider them "hand picked" for no extra fee.
Old July 6, 2010, 06:56 PM   #4
Kadmos

Quote:
you can consider them "hand picked" for no extra fee.
Sounds more like hand picked for an extra $200
Old July 6, 2010, 10:06 PM   #5
CajunPowder

Hand Picked

Yeah,

Hand Picked = "Hey, would you "hand" me that one on the top of the stack ... "look, over" there ... just "pick" it up and hand it to me. Put it in a box and ship it to that sucker ..."
Old July 7, 2010, 12:54 PM   #6
wittzo

thought about that when I hit "reply"..

It's sort of like paying for "dealer prep" at a car dealer. All they do is strip off the protective plastic (if any) and wash a clean car.

Traditions does have a reputation at stake, it costs them money to take back a defective gun, I hope they pay more attention than Cabela's or Dixie when they receive the pistols in the first place.
Old July 7, 2010, 03:00 PM   #7
arcticap

Because they're an importer and wholesale distributor, their website's retail prices are higher and equate to MSRP prices unless they're offering some sort of a special sale, bargain bin or clearance price.

And a Traditions distributor must go through hoops to become one of their affiliates and that can require doing a certain volume of business. That really limits the number of retail outfits that can receive wholesale pricing from them.
Their networking is based more on selling to gun shop distributors than to sell at retail themselves since they don't want to hurt their distributor's investment in their guns any. They're competing against the Uberti sales network, Cabela's, Taylor's etc... So generally Traditions just can't match that volume or the sales prices of the largest internet retailers. But since they are affiliated with Pietta, sometimes that do have some overstock guns that are very competitively priced. So always check out their bargain bin specials.

Last edited by arcticap; July 7, 2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old July 7, 2010, 08:36 PM   #8
simonkenton

I bought a Traditions Colt 1860 Army at Bass Pro Shop a few years back.
Very nice pistol, I like it a lot. It is a Pietta.

The main spring broke and I called the 800 number for Traditions.
I figured I would be paying ten bucks for a new spring.
Not at all!
They sent me a new spring, no questions asked, for free!
Old July 8, 2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Hardy

Eaze dem pistols out slowly so I can count de hairs on dem hands There are 2 levels of Piettas: The cheap ones and the good ones. The ones offered on you know who for less than $200 are cheap. And they are made cheap with dull blades. OK Yes Traditions hand picks them. So do we! We send 1/3 back because they are not mechanically sound and probably dangerous to shoot--loading levers that don't fit in chambers/barrels angled etc. You know, we see all kinds of folks that bring their guns into the store and all are Piettas, Navy Arms BUT no one has ever brought in a Uberti or a Colt, but we sell them. Uberti is the best unless you buy the higher end Pietta but will cost you the same or more. Just for you guys and gals that are members here: we get them at dealer cost and will sell you one for 10% more than my cost plus shipping and handling. For example a Ubertie 1861 Navy costs around 300. You're looking at much less from us.

[email protected]
Old July 9, 2010, 05:09 PM   #10
emishi

1861 and conicals

And I thank you for the Uberti 1861 Navy. I've actually put a couple of BP Stuff's conicals through her and she handles like a dream. By the by, thanks for the 1,000 conicals BPS. Poor mail-lady couldn't understand why such a small box weighed so much.
Old July 9, 2010, 08:52 PM   #11
Hardy

thanks emishi. And Emishi has more knowledge and experience with these bp revolvers than anyone else that has come in our little store. Let me reiterate--do you know how many people buy these guns from pawn shops!? I'm talkin about all cheap navy arms and brass frame piettas. A LOT! No one has ever brought a quality colt or uberti in the store. Emishi-I got a 51 navy uberti with no zebra stripes on the grips. Looks and feels better than the 2n and 3 gen colts. Cash out the door---$275.00 NIB. And thanks again