The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 4, 2005, 08:33 AM   #1
dccuk

Steyr Mannlicher problem

Steyr Mannlicher problem
either Model L or M - not sure - in 30.06 with left hand bolt.
collected it just before Christmas from the same source as the Walther.
Fired some test rounds (IMI Samson FMJ) thru it - approx 5 - before the huge 4 x 6 Nickel scope come back and bit me i.e "scope eye" and hurt head stopped play
so went home - loaded some lower power home loads - full lenth resize RP cases/155gr FMJ.....would NOT chamber!??? i.e. bolt handle will not close over last half inch of travel - albeit a bit notchy but closes OK with empty chamber.
tried some of the IMI Samson FMJ ...would NOT chamber!???
Cleaned the entire gun - cannot see anything stuck in the chamber
It would appear that the chamber has been reduced in diameter vis length? is this possible?
it has been suggested that the chamber needs re-reaming?
any clues before I start throwing money at the beast??

DCC UK
Old January 4, 2005, 10:38 AM   #2
PSE

i would just sell it. hows $200 US sound?
Old January 4, 2005, 02:16 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

First make SURE that the rifle is marked .30-'06 and that the ammunition IS .30-'06. I know that sounds like I am insulting you, but ammo mixups have happened to a lot of very smart people.

For the following steps, I suggest you make up some dummy rounds without primer or powder. If you must use live rounds, find a safe area and be very careful!

I think it is a pretty safe bet that the chamber didn't shrink. Have you tried feeding rounds into the chamber with your hand without using the bolt? If the rounds go in OK that rules out anything having to do with the ammo.

If manually fed rounds go in OK, then try feeding rounds individually with the bolt (drop round in chamber and close bolt). If that works OK, your problem is feeding. Is your rifle the one with the rotary magazine or does it have the regular box magazine? The former was sometimes tricky and the spools are not interchangeable, so check to make sure the spool is marked .30-'06 as well.

After checking out this stuff, get back if the problem is still not solved.

Jim
Old January 5, 2005, 12:22 PM   #4
dccuk

Steyr problem

Thanks guys
No, do not want to sell it, as Left handers are real hard to come by even in well used condition - and it was working!
The ammo is definitely headstamped: 30.06 SPRG IMI (used in both an 1903A3 and a P17 that have owned in the past)
SITREP
Have now checked gun with two types of factory ammo:- IMI and some Dutch "MILSURP" - both of which were used in an 1903A3 and a P17 (the IMI is a real hot round and flattens primers) Steyr bolt STILL won't close....
I have full length resized, using RCBS dies, checked every dimension in Richard Lees book using a digital vernier and the bolt still won't close. Suspecting it might be a head space problem I F/L resized some 308 cases in RCBS dies in the 308 and 30.06 dies... bolt still won't close.
By completely covering a case in felt tip pen ink and attempting to chamber witness marks can seen on the area of the case approx .3 to .5 in from the extractor groove.
What I think it needs is a quick lick out with a chamber reamer?
was thinking of getting the gun Ackley Imp - but maybe not??
Re: Autofrettage - anyone here know anything about the process? and "Re-yielding" pressure post-autofrettage?

DCC UK
Old January 26, 2005, 10:09 AM   #5
PSE

at least on my SBS...
the inside of the chambers locking lugs can shift when scrubbed hard and block the bolt from shutting all the way.
Old February 2, 2005, 06:06 PM   #6
tintcutter

if you took apart the bolt you put it back together wrong. get the manual and you will see what I mean. You can put the firing pin in the SBS system back in two ways, one of which is incorrect and will produce what you are describing. Also described is the dislodged bushing from cleaning from the muzzle. This will also create the problem like PSE said.
Old February 28, 2005, 08:11 AM   #7
dccuk

Mannlicher problem

Many thanks for the words of advice to those who emailed me ---
In the mean time I have managed to obtain a finish reamer and the rifle is again working and shoots within 1 inch at 100 yards - so I am pretty happy!!
there appeared to be a minute fragment of steel* that had somehow become embedded (or adhered/welded?) to the tapered part of the chamber near the shoulder. It had withstood some serious scrubbing with a bronze brush. But without a boroscope it was impossible to see but the reamer cleaned up the chamber a treat.
* I know it is steel because I removed it from the reamer with a magnet

BTW It is in fact a Model M, but still very light and with a heck of a recoil! (have to be really careful of the set triggers)

DCC UK