The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 5, 2011, 05:14 PM   #1
the rifleer

Duracoat vs. Wonder blue

So I've got an old worn Winchester model 25 (pump shotgun). Its in pretty bad shape, it has some rust on it and the majority of the bluing on the receiver as well as the barrel has worn off. I'm going to scrub it and clean it up, but Im wondering what the best way to refinish it is. It really needs to be redone.

It seems like duracoat and wonder blue are both top of the line products and would like to know what you guys think is best. I know the best thing to do is have it hot blue, but that is expensive.

any input is appreciated.
Old June 5, 2011, 07:36 PM   #2
GURU1911

Firearms refinishing

Contact the boys @ robar in arizona or coal creek armory in tenn regarding your needs. My personal favorite is the robar np3.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old June 5, 2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Scorch

The Winchester Model 25 is a solid-frame shotgun. As such, it has some fairly tight clearances inside it, and the Duracoat goes on thick, so it may jam things up. Just take it to your local gunsmith and ahve it hot blued, that's what it came with from the factory.

Wonder Blue is a cold blue product. Cold blue is made for touch-up work, not for rebluing whole guns.
Old June 5, 2011, 08:38 PM   #4
C0untZer0

I've heard great things about NP3+
Old June 5, 2011, 09:33 PM   #5
the rifleer

I just checked them out, they are awfully expensive. I'm sure they do great work, but its out of my price range.

With wonder blue ruled out, Is duracoat a good product? I'm not going to do the inside of the receiver, just the outside, the barrel and the mag tube.
Old June 5, 2011, 10:06 PM   #6
GURU1911

RIFLER

You said "they were AWFULLY expensive & out of my price range"----were you referring to the "robar company" or "coal creek armory" ????

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old June 5, 2011, 10:17 PM   #7
the rifleer

The price estimate for Robar is a over $200, which is more than I paid for the shotgun.

I did manage to find a place that if i ship them the gun completely stripped, disassembled and ready to go, they will blue it for $80, which is better.

Edit- this is a real beater of a shotgun. The stock is a mess and the bluing is mostly gone. I spent a good hour with steel wool just getting the rust off of it. I doesn't have any major pitting or anything that I think will hinder its ability to perform like a shotgun should, it just needs to be completely re-done. I am refinishing the stock as well as the metal. This is just a project gun and I'd like to do as much as possible myself, but if you guys really don't think there is a product I can use myself at home, I will have it reblued.
Old June 6, 2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Mac's!

Take a look at having it refinished with a product like Gunkote. Stuff like duracoat will not burnish and is way too thick for close tolerance moving parts. (Like, any part inside of a firearm!) Gunkote will burnish and won't gum up the internal workings. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
http://www.shootiniron.com
Old June 10, 2011, 10:37 PM   #9
publius

You can rust blue it yourself. It's very labor intensive but produces the best results, if done correctly.
Old June 11, 2011, 09:19 AM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

If this is a beater gun and if you have something you can boil water in that will hold your whole barrel, rust bluing at home is the most economical approach. Takes about six passes and is a lot of work, but produces the beautiful slightly satin blue finish that is traditional on custom English shotguns.

Search the forum on rust bluing for details.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 11, 2011, 12:16 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

Paint it with Krylon spray paint.