The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 1999, 02:23 PM   #1
PeterM

Hello:
I'm in the market for a progressive reloader. I've heard many good things about the Dillon 550B but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Hornady's Lock-N-Load AP reloader.
Pete
Old March 17, 1999, 01:08 PM   #2
muddyboots

A buddy of mine has the Hornaday. He thinks it's ok except it dumps powder sometimes when there is no case (what a mess). The question : would he buy it again? Nope

I have RCBS , I feel it is on about the same level as the Hornaday. I came by it in an odd way. About 10 years ago I had picked up a used RCBS Green Machine in 38/357. Problem was that was the only thing you could reload. So I called RCBS and ask if there was anyway or anybody that could change it to load another cal. Their responce : just send the Green Machine back to us and we will trade it in (even trade for a progressive, in my choice of caliber) .
My responce was well...OK.

If I were going to go out today and buy one, I'd buy the Dillon 550. Heard lots and lots of good things and very little bad. I have bought from Dillon and they are great people.

Old March 17, 1999, 04:15 PM   #3
Cat

I've been reloading for about 30 years. I've at least tried most of the loaders out there either buying them or using friends loaders. I have a Bonanza Co-Ax for all my precision rifle loading.
I use a Dillon Square Deal for all of my handgun loads. I doubt you could convince me there is a better unit made by anyone for quality mass produced handgun loading.
Cat
Old March 18, 1999, 09:35 AM   #4
Ozzy1960

Dillon have in my opinion the best presses going.I have a 650 in 357sig, 9mm & 40sw and a Square deal in 45acp. They are very fast and very easy to use. Every component I own is dillon. And the most important aspect: Everything is guaranteed for life. You wont be disappointed!
Old March 19, 1999, 10:40 AM   #5
s.e. iowa .07

I just have to relay a bit of info about
RCBS, I bought Rock crusher press with
piggy back 2, 5 station progresive, I ruined
and lost some springs , I called RCBS and they talked me thru problems I had and realized it was me who was short stroking the press and ruining bushings, BUT they sent
me 5 new bushings, springs that I had let fly
and all other parts that may ever fail in
future, I looked at alot of brands before
going with RCBS, Dillions are good and I
wouldn't mind having one, but customer support and LIFE time warranty on all RCBS
is what sold me, good luck
Old March 19, 1999, 11:52 PM   #6
Cat

s.e. iowa .07,
Service and lifetime warranty are very important. Ease of set up and use are also very important. Speed and accurate reloads are very important. Dillon has these attributes in abundance.
He buddies house burned to the ground. They found the melted alloy of his Dillon 550 in the rubble. He sent it back and guess what! He was sent a brand new press. FREE.
My Square Deal, which I bought in 1987 for $119.96, had three "major" problems over the years. I busted the lever, had trouble with a set of Dillon dies, and broke the linkage pivot boss off the side of the press. They always took care of it. Never cost me a dime. They were CHEERFUL on the phone and very knowledgeable. This press has loaded approximately 100,000 rounds in that time. It's still ticking! Go Blue.
Cat
Old March 20, 1999, 12:46 AM   #7
swifter...

I had a Dillon 450 that, set up for .45ACP, I loaded many thousand rounds. My son gave me an upgrade to 550 one Christmas, and, being mechanically challenged, I called Dillon to ask where the "Complete Idiot's Guide to 550 Press conversions" was. Upshot was, they did it for me, no charge, and replaced some parts not included in the kit - no charge! Go with Dillon .

------------------
Shoot carefully, swifter...
Old March 21, 1999, 08:03 AM   #8
STEVE M

The fact that no one wants to sell a used Dillon should be telling you something. The only way I'll get rid of mine is if someone wants to trade even. SDB for a 650 anyone?