The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 5, 2013, 11:25 AM   #1
jd3020

Scope for my ar-10

I know this is going to bring up alot of discussion but I'm looking for a decent scope to outfit my dpms ar-10. I would like something with bdc reticle as mil dot I havnt really figured out how to use. Doing some searching around I have looked and I think power wise I want any where from 6-18 to maybe a 25 power. First one I liked was the Nikon m-308 but Im also not looking to spend my life savings either. So I guess let the discussion begin. Let me know what you think.

"If guns kill people then i can blame mis-spelled words on my pencil"
Old February 5, 2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Babyfacenelson

Any nikon or leopuld should fit the bill.

Why such a powerful scope? Will you be shooting at 350+ yards frequently?
If you typically keep your shooting inside 300-350 yards, a "standard" 3-9 power scope would serve just as well, for a heck of a lot less money.
Old February 5, 2013, 05:17 PM   #3
jd3020

I'm not sure why I want a high power scope. I had a 6-18x50 bushnell on my 270 and I really liked being able to go out and shoot at 100 yards and be able to see where I was hitting with out walking to the target every time. I put a Nikon pro staff 4-12x40 on my ar-15 and I like it. As far as shots go I've yet to shoot this gun over 200 yards but that's not saying I won't try if I get the chance some of the places we hunt coyote at we have needed to be a few hundred yards away so I guess that's why I wanted a high power scope

Old February 5, 2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Babyfacenelson

Well if you have the budget i dont see why you shouldnt put a big scope on there
But the kind of scope you're talking about, a good nikon or leopuld etc, is going to cost a pretty penny. Where a "normal" 3-9 nikon or leopuld can be had for under 300$, and at 200 you should be able to see the target well, especially on 9 power.
Old February 5, 2013, 08:42 PM   #5
jd3020

My worries is that the scope won't hold up to the recoil of the 308 granite the ar-10 is semi auto so recoil isn't as bad as a a bolt action gun. I have a bushnell banner on my dads 308 savage bolt action and it won't hold zero for any thing but when it was on my ar-10 I had no problems. So that's my concern on buying a "normal" Nikon scope.

Old February 5, 2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Babyfacenelson

A valid concern.
But any scope made for a large caliber rifle, such as the 308, should not have problems with the recoil.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:46 PM   #7
jd3020

I had the same bushnell banner on my 270 for years and never had a lick of problems with it I just replaced it with a 6-18x40 buck master because I wanted something a little clearer. Now on my dads 308 I have went through 4 of the bushnell banner scopes. So I guess would u think the prostatic line would be acceptable for a 308 or do I need something a little higher up