The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2009, 01:33 PM   #1
tpcollins

Does multiple end stamps mean anything?

I was able to pick up 200 pcs of .380 Auto for reloading. Cases have been fired but look excellant. I noticed there were numerous different end stamps on them - SPEER, WIN, FED, S&W, etc. I'm under the opinion there are only a few case manufactures and they stamp whatever for whoever - or does each different stamp represent actual different case manufacture? Thanks.
Old September 28, 2009, 01:46 PM   #2
BigJimP

There may in fact only be one or two supplies of brass cases - and they headstamp them for whoever orders them - I don't know.

But in terms of reloading - using mixed head stamped brass in handgun ammo is no problem.
Old September 28, 2009, 04:08 PM   #3
ilbob

For the most part the head stamp is not real important.

And you are right about manufacturers of cases stamping them for other companies.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old September 28, 2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Quite a number make their own, but the use of foreign contractors is becoming increasingly common. That said, the brass is made to a design spec, and that is not the same across the board, so even if it came out of the same plant, you could not count on it to be dimensionally identical. That matters much more often to rifle than to pistol in terms of load and accuracy differences.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 29, 2009, 07:27 AM   #5
SL1

I'll start by saying that I don't reload .380s, so I don't have any first-hand-experience with them.

But, I do have experience with other auto-loading pistol cartridges, and I have seen some significant differences in the internal volume of cases from different companies. That can be an important issue for small volume cases like the .380 because it can cause substantial variation in peak pressure with identical loads.

Because the .380 has a really small internal space left for the powder, and is also a cartridge that people tend to "push" for maximum power fro self-defense use, it is not too hard to produce handloads that are substantially over the SAAMI pressure limit without realizing it. That is particularly worrisome in small pistols that only need to be designed to handle very moderate pressures. The "pressure signs" that you are told to watch for when working-up loads are just not reliably there to see until you get well above the SAAMI pressure limit for this cartridge.

So, it is best to work-up maximum loads in cases that have the same headstamp, and, if you change cases, work-up again in the new case.

On the other hand, it you are keeping loads well below max, then mixing head stamps is not going to be a safety problem. And, in the guns that are typically chambered for the .380, the difference in accuracy should not be noticeable.

SL1