The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 17, 2009, 07:08 PM   #76
ElrodCod

WS is my regular stuff. I use it like the CLP that it is.
Old August 18, 2009, 10:48 PM   #77
ssilicon

George thanks for the answer. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I went ahead and got a 16oz bottle and a needle oiler. I just fill the 1 oz sample bottle and the needler from ther big bottle.

Love the product. Sorry to hear about your ailments. Hang in there and take care of yourself.

Last edited by ssilicon; August 19, 2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old August 19, 2009, 01:21 PM   #78
Akalvarez

This is the first I have heard of this product. I use BF CLP now but I am willing to try something new. Do you still offer a sample? If our Soldiers in Iraq and Stan our this happy with it than I want to try it!
Old August 20, 2009, 05:35 PM   #79
GunBugBit

I use Weapon Shield CLP on my three guns that are quite different from each other, and it has them all running as smoothly as I could ever want. The product is pleasant to work with, too.
Old August 20, 2009, 06:51 PM   #80
seed

Quote:
I was eager to try it until I saw that it is made by the same people that made FP10. I got a free sample of FP10 and bought four Allen wrenches and grinded them down to bare metal. I cleaned them and left one unprotected and applied break free, corrosion x and FP10 to the other three. I placed them outside and the unprotected and the FP10 had rust on them the next day the other two took several weeks to start rusting. I repeated this several time mixing up wrenches and got the same results. But I will give this a try too.
You probably used the newer formulation of FP-10, which is no longer owned by Fennell. I have the older formulation of FP-10 and ran corrosion tests with it and many other products years ago (2002 or 3...I forget). Well it was superior to all others, being rivaled admirably by only Eezox and Corrosion X. It blew away the old formulation of Breakfree.

Interestingly, a few years later before I knew that Fennell no longer was a part of FP-10, I came across a post where someone ran a corrosion test with FP-10 (newer formulation) and had the same results as you. I replied with my own experience and neither of us could figure out why we got different results. It wasn't until later still when I ran across an announcement by Fennell that he had parted ways with the Firepower company he helped started, some time before and they had changed the formulation. Fennell had then begun the Weapons Shield line separately. It all made sense after that.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I just am not too sure I should buy any of the new stuff when I stock-piled so much of the old FP-10!...which is awesome, by the way. But if the new Weapons Shield is really that much more superior compared to the original FP-10, then maybe I may have to.
Old August 20, 2009, 11:14 PM   #81
eppler

I received my free sample today and noticed it is a little more viscous than break free and that’s a plus. Seems to clean as good as break free but really don’t have anything to clean right now. I will take it to work tomorrow and do some corrosion testing. I would have to say as of right now it seems worth switching to.
Old August 29, 2009, 10:10 AM   #82
gcfennell

old FP-10

Hey guys!
Thank you all very much for the kind words on the "Weapon Shield". Just to clarify a point that "SEED" responded to in my stead (thank you, sir )...FP-10 was my invention, indeed and was an outstanding product when I was with my old company that I started, MPC, prior to 2004, but since then have had nothing to do with them, FP-10, or Shooters Choice FP-10 (which was an extended marketing effort at the time).
Over the last 4 years, I have intermittently bought several bottles of FP-10 to test/analyze due to the fact that many people have complained to me about the FP-10 having issues since I left MPC. Some of them involve 1) very light or varying viscosities, 2) inadequate corrosion protection, 3) inadequate wear protection or lubricity, and a few other minor complaints. Included in the batch of FP-10 bottles that I acquired were a few that people sent me from the field along with the complaints. What I found out was what I had expected...a seemingly lack of consistency or "quality control" as the industry would define it.
During the years that I was with MPC, the very company that I and my father founded, I ran strict oversight and control over every batch/lot of FP-10, as well as ALL of my products that were manufactured there, providing strict FTIR (Fourier Transmission Infra Red) analysis for each and every one. Nothing got out to the marketplace unless it met the rigid quality standards that I defined and of which most of you who have used FP-10, are used to. However, these products that I tested were all over the place when it came to consistency and continuity.
There are several things you get when you use Weapon Shield in place of FP-10; 1) my strict consistency, continuity, and quality control, 2) a markedly improved product in all three categories of lubrication, corrosion protection, and solvent-free cleaning, and 3) peace of mind, knowing that if you have a complaint or problem, it will be handled personally by me or a VERY competent member of our team who will bend over backwards to make our service and your experience with us just like my product...#1 in the world. This I promise you and guarantee. In all the years running, I think I have established this reputation with the industry and you folks, especially. For that, and your continued support, I thank you all from the heart. You guys (and gals) all rock!
Best regards as always,
George
http://www.steelshieldtech.com
Old August 30, 2009, 10:31 PM   #83
Tempest45

George, glad to see that you are doing well and posting on the forums. I've been using your product since it came out and couldn't be happier.

I see that you have a new Weapon Shield grease. Is this an NGLI #1 (or so) lithium grease made from the WS formulation?

Thanks.
Old September 6, 2009, 09:51 AM   #84
rgates

Good to see you George. Glad to hear business is good but it's no surprise.

I've used Weapon Shield exclusively since that first sample offering and all of my firearms never ran so smooth and trouble free. The corrosion protection is absulutely amazing. The friends I've given some agree there's nothing better and are now converts.
I'll soon be ordering another 16oz. and 4 oz. I prefer using it from the 4oz. bottle and using the larger one to refill from. Great product.
Keep up the good work.
Old September 6, 2009, 04:54 PM   #85
langenc

I onlyread the first page of postings.

Can someone tell me about the ENGINESHIELD.. Do you dump 8 oz in the crankcase w/ the next oil change??
Old September 7, 2009, 07:23 AM   #86
Xanatos

Has anyone here used Gunzilla? Currently that's the CLP I use and it's got the same hype as WS only on another forum. I'm wondering if someone's used both so I can get a clue of which CLP is better. In the end I'll do my own testing, but if there's overwhelming proof that WS is better than I won't have to bother with the free sample and just order a 16oz bottle.
Old September 7, 2009, 08:31 AM   #87
ZeSpectre

Quote:
Has anyone here used Gunzilla? Currently that's the CLP I use and it's got the same hype as WS only on another forum. I'm wondering if someone's used both so I can get a clue of which CLP is better. In the end I'll do my own testing, but if there's overwhelming proof that WS is better than I won't have to bother with the free sample and just order a 16oz bottle.
Hey, that's probably MY hype you are talking about!

I use both Weapon Sheld and Gunzilla and have for a few years now.

Mostly I use Weapon Shield because it rocks for lube and protect and it pretty decent at the clean part.

But for some applications I've found that Gunzilla can be pretty amazing, especially for cleaning smoothbore barrels.

The other trick I've found is that Gunzilla seems to do something about removing surface patina rust. I have a seriously rust-promoting body chemistry so when surface patina rust shows up I wipe guns and tools down with Gunzilla until the patches aren't "rusty" any more and then coat with WeaponShield for protection and I can go for a long time before any corrosion starts to show up again.
Old September 8, 2009, 10:25 PM   #88
Xanatos

Would you recommend I try WS even though Gunzilla has worked perfectly well for me in the past?
Old September 9, 2009, 12:18 PM   #89
ZeSpectre

Quote:
Would you recommend I try WS even though Gunzilla has worked perfectly well for me in the past?
Well, although I like learning about new stuff, I'm also a fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

So if you are happy with Gunzilla then you'll probably be fine just sticking with it. I am, however, of the opinion that Weaponshield is superior enough as a lubricant that I do use it alongside Gunzilla.

In short my cleaning tools consist of

Foaming bore cleaner (for copper fouling if needed).
Gunzilla for general cleanup and powder fouling.
Weaponshield for lube and corrosion protection.

A handy tip.
Buy a bunch of empty Needle Oilers from Brownells, label them, and use them to dispense Gunzilla and Weaponshield. You'll get lube precisely where you want it and cut waste spills to nothing.
Old January 17, 2010, 02:57 AM   #90
User4610

I wonder if it's okay to resurrect this thread...I guess I'll find out.

At some point, didn't FP-10 contain Teflon?

Does or doesn't Weaponshield use nano-technology?

Has anyone tried Crusader Weaponry's Slip Stream?
I believe Slip Stream contains nano-particles. I've tried it and immediately noticed that things more "slippy" than before. I do know that the nano-particles or whatever settle and the bottle has to be shaken in order to disperse them into the oil. I would think it would be better if they stay suspended in the oil, but I don't know if it makes a difference.

I was also wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences with any of these oils?

Thanks,
paul
Old August 17, 2010, 03:06 PM   #91
gcfennell

No sir, FP-10 nor Weapon Shield NEVER contained Teflon/PTFE.

NO as well on the Nano-technology. That's all overplayed IMHO. Jamming diamonds in the metal surfaces....sheesh. And for our next trick...

G
http://www.steelshieldtech.com
Old October 5, 2010, 08:02 AM   #92
jogonmd95

I've been using WS for arnd 2-3yrs on my 1911s and it is very humid here in the PHILIPPINES. So far no signs of rust on my babies.As a lube,the action on my pistols has been smooooth. Great cleaner as well,makes cleaning less of a chore.I also use WS on my AR and SG with similar results. Thanks GEORGE for an EXCELLENT product,i always endorse WS to my fellow shooters here in PI.
BEST,
Jogon