The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 3, 2011, 04:23 PM   #1
krash

930SPX problems

Just picked up my Mossberg 930SPX today and am a little disappointed.

They have been producing this model since 2007 (I think that's the first year) and they still haven't fixed the problem with the canted front site. You would think since 2007 they would have been able to either repair the jig assembly or manufacture a new one. I'm sure it would cut down on all the warranty work they have to do and save them a boat load of cash!

Anyway, customer service was very nice about it and they are sending me a prepaid shipping label to send them the barrel. They said turnaround is about a week so I'll have to post a follow up after I get it back. In the interim, it looks like it's time to pick up a SAIGA 12 just for fun.
Old August 4, 2011, 04:43 AM   #2
Slugo

duh...

then why did you buy it? I would have handed it back...
Old August 4, 2011, 01:43 PM   #3
Carne Frio

First thing I checked on mine (bought new last month)
was to see if the sights were straight. They are. It is a
sweet shooter that has less recoil than my model 590.
Glad to see that Mossberg is taking care of you.
Old August 4, 2011, 02:37 PM   #4
C0untZer0

I wouldn't be surprised if that thing wasn't sitting around since 2007. Every other person who came in and looked at said "Hey - the front sight is crooked" and walked away.

Also - some gun dealers won't do anything about a gun they have in their case that they know has a problem.

I picked up a FNP-9 in a shop to test the trigger - the front sight was messed up - it had a big misshapen glob of paint on it. I handed it back to the cleark and said - the front sight has paint globbed on it. He looked at it quizically and sort or shrugged his shoulders and pretended like he didn't see anything wrong with it. That guy knew damn well that the front sight paint was messed up!
Old August 5, 2011, 11:02 AM   #5
comn-cents

Like it has already been said it as probably been sitting around for a while. They will fix it and it will be a fine shooter, enjoy.
Old August 5, 2011, 02:02 PM   #6
Master Blaster 2

You wnat a problematic SAIGA 12 ?
Old August 5, 2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Gehrhard

They'll fix it and you'll still have -- a 930 SPX.
Old August 5, 2011, 07:05 PM   #8
C0untZer0

I have heard solid reviews from a lot of people who own and shoot the 930 SPX.

It's a known problem that they put out canted sights. That was obviously a QC problem with Mossberg.

But it is true that a gunstore will let something like that sit and not contact the manufacturer about it. So even though this looks like a new issue - it actually is an old issue that has been rectified.
Old August 6, 2011, 04:11 PM   #9
Stevie-Ray

Mine was perfect as it was one of the first things I checked at the shop. They boxed it up and it runs perfectly as well. Love it, and so will you, eventually.
Old August 6, 2011, 04:20 PM   #10
DougU

Sounds like more of a dealer issue. Like other said, they knew it was canted and were just waiting to unload it on some poor customer who didn't look close enough. Get ahold of Mossberg, their customer service is outstanding and they will fix you up.