The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 30, 1999, 03:34 PM   #1
stark

I ordered an Alessi Talon Plus for a Smith & Wesson/Walther SW99. It's an IWB holster, forward cant, Alessi Talon clip, in black. The only words that can describe the holster I received in the mail today are "beautiful" and "work of art."

I'm in love.

The holster fits the weapon absolutely perfectly. Retention is -too- good, but I know that will improve with practice presentations. I could jog upside down on my hands and this gun ain't comin' out! Fits well on my 1.5" belt, and the Talon clip is great...easy on, easy off, but stays where you put it. Much better than the crappy metal clips I am used to for clip-on IWBs.

The smell...Oh my, the smell. The Milt Sparks smelled good coming out of the box. The M/D Enterprises smelled better that the Sparks, but whatever magic pixie dust Lou is putting on his holsters, sweet Mary it smells like heaven. I want to roll my wife in it and wear her on my belt!

Obviously, a lot more living must be done with this holster to give a fair and accurate assessment, but so far, I concealed it under a t-shirt and a t-shirt and an outer shirt, and could see no trace in the mirror under normal movement. Under a jacket, Poof! Gone. I've done maybe 50, 75 presentations and the first few were tough. Have to tug the weapon good and firmly to get it out, but I don't see that as a problem. Like I said, it will get better with age, and plus I want it secure. Once again, I find myself wishing for a custom belt (next on the list!) but the stiffest belt in my closet will suffice for now. The everyday belt I wear is just too soft and flexible. Heed the advice you read on these forums...a good belt is the foundation. They ain't just blowin' sunshine up your skirt.

If you own a SW99 (or any other gun, for that matter!) and want an amazing holster at an equally amazing price ($55.00, he's giving them away), I suggest you talk to Mr. Alessi. He can be reached at [email protected] . (My apologies if you read this in more than one forum. I can't contain my pleasure at this product, and it may bubble over across the whole damned Internet.)

------------------

-stark-
ShootersNetwork
http://www.shootersnetwork.com
Web Hosting & Design for the shooting community
Old September 30, 1999, 06:06 PM   #2
Jim V

stark, You have found what I have known for some time, Lou makes great holsters and his workmanship is topnotch. He has made two custom holsters for me, both the same pattern, one in russet and one in black along with two matching magazine pouches. The holsters are reproductions of the old Andy Anderson Shopkeepers 1911 rig. While Andy was a master, Lou has him beat by a mile, and I have admired for years Andy's work. May he rest in peace.

If you want a well made leather hoslter, get a hold of Lou, and find what he has to offer. You will not think you had been stiffed when you get your rig.

P.S. Lou is thinking of offering the Shopkeeper holster as a non-catalogued item. It will only work with 1911's or pistols with the same slide profile and size.

P.P.S. stark, if you can get some LEATHER LIGHTNING as sold my Mitch Rosen, dab a very little on the holster's innards, it works well on slicking up the draw. Not so slick as to cause possible pistol loss.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Old September 30, 1999, 09:31 PM   #3
SAWBONES

Yes, Mr. Alessi is a master craftsman, and a gentleman, to boot. He makes superb holsters. So far, I have seven examples of his work, with several more currently on order. He uses stiff cow(steer)hide, and somehow his execution of each design is perfect. He has a number of original designs which I've never seen duplicated anywhere, and he produces each holster so that it properly balances the gun for which it is intended, something many other holster makers have not quite yet mastered. He also makes an excellent 1 1/2" heavy gunbelt with double keepers. The color & smell of his holsters make a pleasant sensuous experience. Until recently, it has been difficult to view examples of his work. Now, however, some of his designs may be seen at (and ordered from) a distributor website at www.rfholsters.com, and a few other pictures of his holsters can be found at Richard Heinie's website at www.heinie.com. He's working on his own website, which should hopefully be open sometime soon. His works are a true bargain, being very inexpensive for the exceptional quality.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

Old September 30, 1999, 10:07 PM   #4
Dorcas

Stark,

Did you order your holster directly from Lou or did you order it from RF Holsters, and what was the turn around time? I ordered a CQC/S (from RF Holsters) about 4 weeks ago, and I've been waiting very patiently for it.

BTW, I haven't used any of his holsters yet, but I would love to make comment about Lou. He's great to work with. I e-mailed him with a few questions before ordering, and they were answered the very next day. Mr. Alessi's a class act.

bkm

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...
Old October 1, 1999, 12:15 AM   #5
Nakano

Greetings Stark. You are indeed one of the forunate to discover Lou' s first class work. Oh, let' s not forget Skip Ritchie who is the only other who hand bones Alessis products. The Talon model is versatile as you can wear it without a belt. Yes, that Nyclip has enough tension and a thin enough hook area to clamp down on sweats, climbers pants, etc. And the gun will clear the holster without problems.

Take note: If you plan to get a custom belt as well, you should note that the entire unit with gun when worn does begin to appear bulky if the belt is a lined (double thick) one. Perhaps not as critical with a vest or jacket but definitely with a tee shirt alone. That' s my experience with J frame/ Talon combo. Enjoy.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."
Old October 5, 1999, 10:45 AM   #6
Futo Inu

Stark, that's funny - good for you. Leather does smell nice. Kydex is "aromatically challenged", I suppose. The only thing is, I think a custom-molded holster would in fact be different for a Walther P99 versus a SW99, because of the differently-shaped trigger guards.