The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 4, 2014, 06:35 PM   #1
mapsjanhere

Restoring a P1917 Eddystone

I recently picked up a P1917 sporter for $200. Metal looks all original, but no finish left. I can get a stock, hand guards and the missing front band for $150 - 200. Worth it? Anything I should check for before starting the project?
Old March 4, 2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Pahoo

Great project !!!

As best you can, try to get the matching parts, to the original arsenal. Is you rreceiver still original? I ask because many were sporterized beyond being able to bring them back. Is yours still a 30-06? .....

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old March 5, 2014, 04:50 AM   #3
10-96

I just about have an Eddystone completed. When I got it, everything from the stock wrist & south was broken off and gone. The receiver dated 4/18 and the bbl dated 3/18. Sadly, mine is a mixture of Rem & Eddystone parts and a Boyds stock (which required a whole lot more time and work than the last 03 stock I got from them.

You've got a fun project ahead of you- hope it all works out well.

One thing to note- most of the screwheads will require a thinner-than-normal hollow ground screwdriver bit. The stacking swivel and sling swivels all have an oblong side that I think should point towards the left as you look at the rifle's belly. The goofy pin that holds in the middle band is noted for being a major booger to get out and may be best left in (I used brass on my Boyds). And speaking of Boyds, mine did not come with a stock crossbolt nor it's hole. If you got a Boyds stock- get back with us and I'll give you a little more insight on what it takes to get enough wood removed to get a good fit and appearance.

As Pahoo asked- are the ears and rear sight still there and original? I've heard once or twice that the spring below the sight ladder (slide portion that flips up) is prone to have an ear broken off.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 5, 2014, 10:19 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

I haven't checked the dates on it yet, it has flaming bombs one both receiver and barrel, so it should be still original. I have to shoot some pictures to find out that there aren't some hidden modifications that didn't jump out to me.
Old March 5, 2014, 02:02 PM   #5
tahunua001

does it still have the rear sight ears or have they been ground off?
has it been drilled and tapped for a scope rail?
has the front sight been removed and replaced with a ramped sporter sight?
can you not see the ordnance stamp on the barrel behind the front sight?
if the answer to any of those is yes then I would not bother... it would be more expensive than just buying an original model.
Old March 6, 2014, 08:45 PM   #6
chiefr

Quote:
tahunua001
does it still have the rear sight ears or have they been ground off?
has it been drilled and tapped for a scope rail?
has the front sight been removed and replaced with a ramped sporter sight?
can you not see the ordnance stamp on the barrel behind the front sight?
if the answer to any of those is yes then I would not bother... it would be more expensive than just buying an original model.
Agree 100%
Old March 7, 2014, 05:28 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

Well, it's No x 4
Got to compare it today to an unmolested P17, and everything matches. Barrel is marked 8-18. Shooting was so-so, but then, I'm not that good with open sights off-hand. Need to drag out the rest and try again.
Old March 17, 2014, 10:57 PM   #8
Gaucho Gringo

If anyone looks into the history of Eddystone it in itself is interesting. It was a corporate offshoot of the Baldwin Locomotive Works because it's corporate charter forbid anything warfare related because of it's Quaker roots. Baldwin was the worlds oldest and largest manufacturer of steam locomotives in the world having being in business for over 120 years continuously. Eddystone was formed to cash in on the lucrative armament business in the years before the US entered the war and was even better after the US entered the war. The profits basically paid for one of the largest industrial complexes in it's day.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8