The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 27, 2013, 08:04 AM   #1
spencey89

Holster position?

I would like some feedback on what is, in your opinion, is the best location for a holster? Small of back, hip, shoulder, drop leg etc. I would just like some information from more experienced shooters.

"Better to die than to be a coward"
- Ghurka Motto
Old February 27, 2013, 08:21 AM   #2
redhologram

In my opinion it's the one that allows you to access your weapon from the quickest, most natural position for you and your body. Everyone has different body shapes and sizes so what works for me, (female with curves) will be different for a man I'm sure.
I always want to make sure I can draw in a fluid-like sweep, with one hand, so I can have my other hand free to use to block in self defense or even push my kid behind me, not having to worry about needing it to move clothes or body parts to get to my gun.
With all of that being said, FOR ME, the best position to wear my holster, (crossbreed, combat carry cut) is about 5 o'oclock IWB.
It's what works for ME and that's what matters in the end.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:07 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

Wherever it is comfortable for you.
Old February 27, 2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

You have offered no criteria on which to base advice. For example, a drop leg has some advantages -- but it obviously is unsuited to concealed carry.

What type of firearm do you wish to carry, for what purpose, and what sort of clothing do you want to wear with it?
Old February 27, 2013, 12:59 PM   #5
L_Killkenny

So many variables that there is no best. Take me....... I prefer belt carry somewhere between 2 and 3 o'clock. Some prefer 3 o'clock, others 4, others 6, etc.
Old February 27, 2013, 02:45 PM   #6
BigJimP

For me its at about 4 O'Clock.../ going further back is hard on my rebuilt shoulders and elbows.../ but I'd recommend you try it in a few different positions, see what you think.

The style of holster matters as well....I like mine with a forward FBI tilt...some guys don't ..../ and I want a holster that holds its shape when the gun is out of it, so its really easy to put it back in one handed ...or get it out one handed ( I prefer Kramer horsehide leather ).
Old February 27, 2013, 02:53 PM   #7
Nathan

For ccw, I really like a narrow strap shoulder holster.

2nd choice would be a pancake OWB at 230 - 330

3rd double loop IWB like versa-max at 300-400.

I carry all 3 and others depending on clothes and which gun.

I also like a paddle in the collection for when I have to take off multiple times in a day or wear without a belt.
Old February 27, 2013, 03:06 PM   #8
RickB

It does depend on what you are trying to do? The best holster position for quick-draw competition is going to be very different from what you want for concealed carry.
When I compete in IDPA and USPSA, I wear a straight-drop holster on the strong-side hip, a little further forward than body centerline, as allowed by the rules.
When I carry, I use a holster with some butt-forward cant, and carry behind the hip.
I generally don't like building my wardrobe around a gun holstered on my belt, so 90% of time I'm using a shoulder rig that can be worn over whatever I already am wearing, covered by the jacket or coat I will also almost certainly be wearing.
If I were carrying a handgun in the woods, hiking or biking, I'd probably get a shoulder holster that puts the gun more on the chest than under the arm, like the military M7. I'd put protection of the gun, and mobility, a bit ahead of the fastest possible draw.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:45 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

comfort, style, access, Hindi Method...

There are a few factors when selecting a sidearm holster location. It's a complex process that would take a long time to explain but I will give a condensed version of my input on the posted topic....
Many armed citizens & armed professionals prefer the standard strong side(side of or directly behind the hip). It's fast, secure & you can learn to draw quickly in open or concealed carry styles. New retention polymer holsters like the top rated Blackhawk SERPA, Safariland SLS/ALS, Blade-tech Thumb-drive offer speed & weapon retention.
Keep in mind that ambi access to your main sidearm is ideal. Las Vegas Metro PD officer, Robert Hindi encourages what he calls the Hindi Method or wearing your weapons/gear where you can quickly or smoothly access it with either hand. Doing these draws while wounded or weak handed is important too. Armed or private citizens should be ready to fight or shoot wounded just like a armed security officer or LE agent.
I'd avoid the SOB or middle back carry style. Ambi access is a big problem and you may have a back/spine injury from a fall if you are hit or knocked down.

Crossdraws or shoulder rigs may do well but know that in a ideal carry style you should be fully able to re-holster w/o effort. Trainer & sworn LE officer Massad Ayoob stresses that point to his class students.
Many security experts & sworn LE officers knock cross-draws. I don't. They may do well for low threat areas or times when you may carry multiple weapons.
I honestly never used the leg or SAS(Special Air Service) holster(s). I know many armed officers who dislike them or feel they are awkward. I have a large waist & thick legs so a SAS rig wouldn't be the best but under some conditions I could see them as practical for spec ops, high threat security details or for marine(boats)/aircraft operations.

CF
Old February 28, 2013, 01:19 AM   #10
Single Six

I personally prefer an inside-the-waistband holster on my hip, under an un-tucked shirt. That's for Summer carry. In the Winter, I like an outside-the-waistband holster, same location, under my jacket or coat. Whatever carry mode you settle on, I recommend you stick with it and train accordingly.
Old February 28, 2013, 07:42 AM   #11
spencey89

Thanks for the input. This will help me figure out what I need to do.

"Better to die than to be a coward"
- Ghurka Motto
Old February 28, 2013, 11:07 AM   #12
loose_holster_dan

on strong side hip, iwb, thin kydex holster, slight cant.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."