The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 22, 1999, 08:21 AM   #1
TLH

You guys have been such a help I thought I'd run this past you. Anyone know where I can find real ivory grips for an N-frame S&W??
Old June 22, 1999, 05:29 PM   #2
JJR

These guys make a lot of neat stuff. Real Ivory is custom order only so I imagine it's quite pricy.

http://www.ajaxgrips.com/
Old June 22, 1999, 05:54 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know the whole issue, but I know there are some severe restrictions on import and use of ivory, the result of the massive "save the elephants" campaign. This would, at the very least, make real ivory grips pricy and scarce if not possibly illegal.

Actually, ivory is not a good grip material as it yellows, shrinks, and cracks over time. Saving elephants aside, the better plastics are much better, last longer and retain their color.

Jim
Old June 22, 1999, 10:10 PM   #4
Grayfox

I can't remember just what it's called, but several companys make grips of an ivory composite material. It's made by mixing ivory dust with a polymer resin. Looks like ivory, ages like ivory and much more durable. Like real ivory, it ain't cheap.
Check with Ajax or Eagle, I think one of them uses it.
Old June 27, 1999, 06:53 PM   #5
Jim V

Elephunts are becoming a glut on the market as it were, i believe that in some areas of Africa, culled ivory can be exported. Ivory grips would not be illegal just because the importation of ivory was/is.

Ivory ages, cracks, chips and sunburns. Ivory polomar is better, but just does not have the same feel.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Old June 28, 1999, 12:09 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

On an ivory gripped gun, if you're not shooting it, don't keep the gripscrews tightened down all the way. The pressure will promote the cracking.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt