The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 30, 2009, 08:07 PM   #1
B. Lahey

Shootin' With Aliens

So I was shooting the breeze with one of my lawschool buddies today and he asked me what I did over the weekend. Naturally, I said "spent some time at the shooting range", and this seemed to interest him.

I figure I might take him to the range and bust some clays or punch some paper if he wants to (I bet he does).

He is a resident alien (originally from S. Korea). I looked around the ATF website and it seems like this would not be a problem. Heck, it looks like he could even buy a gun if he wanted to seeing as he has been a resident for much more than the required 90 days.

Am I missing anything? I haven't spotted any problems, but figured I would ask here in case there are non-apparent complications tucked away in some obscure corner of the law somewhere...
Old June 30, 2009, 08:26 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Title had me "hinky" I was worried you meant washed out green or ashy gray aliens... neither of which i would allow armed near me voluntarily! If just neutralized or naturalized with paper in pocket and caring heart in the bosom... fine by me!
Brent
Old June 30, 2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Jim March

Yeah, legal alien residents, no problemo. Some states have attempted to discriminate along those lines and have been slapped down by the courts, WA state being the most recent, California all the way back in 1972:

http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/rappard.txt

With the similar win in WA state recently I'd be willing to say NO state can discriminate along those lines today.

HOWEVER, some states require a "gun owner's card" to be able to even handle ammo. IL comes to mind, I think there's others...NJ? NY?
Old July 1, 2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

I don't know about other states but we've had foreign visitors at our club. Guys from China and Japan, for instance.

Seems to be a state question. Didn't some guy from Japan who practiced with Airsoft then come here and kick tushy at the national matches?
Old July 1, 2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Big Ugly Tall Texan

If he is a Lawful Permanent Resident, it's cool

I was an immigration inspector/Customs and Border Protection Officer for 12 years until my legs gave up on me and I had to move to this stupid desk, so I know the law.

LPRs can own firearms. There is no problem at all taking your friend to the range - unless he is going to be a shootee instead of a shooter.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." - Hastings' Third Law