The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Closed Thread

Old December 26, 2008, 10:41 PM   #26
[email protected]

http://www.swissrifles.com/

1889 Schmidt-Rubin

It's replacement was the Schmidt-Rubin Series of rifles. There were several models in the Schmidt-Rubin Series, including the 1889, 1896/11, 1911 Rifle and Carbine, and the K31. The Schmidt-Rubin series was issued from 1889 to 1957, and many K31s stayed in service for decades afterwards..
Old December 27, 2008, 08:06 PM   #27
SP Shop Foreman

The k31 is not a Schmidt Rubin.

SP

www.swissproductsllc.com
Old December 28, 2008, 07:28 PM   #28
Socrates

How about just plain
"K31" based on the S&R design?
Old December 29, 2008, 09:14 AM   #29
SP Shop Foreman

http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/detail/

and........... http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/faq/

Q. How was the K31 improved?

The action was almost completely re-done. In fact technically, the K31 is not a Schmidt-Rubin at all, although it is still a straight-pull. The K31 action was shortened and the locking lugs were moved to the front of the bolt. This created a stronger action, and allowed the length of the K31 to be the same length as the 1911 carbine, yet still have a 2" longer barrel. The K31 was adopted in 1933 and stayed in service until 1958.

SP

www.swissproductsllc.com
Old December 29, 2008, 08:00 PM   #30
FALPhil

I paid way less than $200 for mine less than 2 years ago. Shop around. I see them at gun shows for $200 or less all the time.

Last time I was out with the Karabiner, I shot a 1.1 inch group at 100 yards. Here is the great part - I did it with iron sights! Now, considering that I have lived longer than half a century with less than 20/20 vision, I thought that was pretty darned good. My shooting buddy kept saying I was missing the target, until he walked downrange with me and counted 5 holes.

A lot of guys feel that the walnut stock is more desirable. I will admit that they have a richer color than the beech stocks, but don't pass up a deal on a beech stocked Karabiner. The beech makes for a better stock. It is denser and responds to humidity much less than the walnut. It is also a tougher wood. You can bang it around and not get dings in it. Personally, I prefer the beech stocks for looks, too, but then, I have always preferred blondes.
Old December 29, 2008, 09:40 PM   #31
VonFireball

I should've stayed out of this thread.

Ever since I put that FN-49 together my mind has been running through the "what should I get for my C&R collection" thoughts.

I don't even have a C&R collection.

I'm thinking that is gonna change. These swiss rifles are just to sweet.

So, is Samco offering them at the lowest price? Or should I keep looking? I noticed J&G sales doesn't offer them anymore. Seems they are starting to dry up, and I want mine, along with a Nagant 91.

Dang, but those are sweet swiss rifles. The craftsmanship....
Old December 30, 2008, 09:23 AM   #32
jsmaye

Samco appears to be the cheapest, plus they offer slings and cleaning kits. I don't know if the others do as they don't mention it.
Old December 30, 2008, 11:03 PM   #33
Socrates

I guess this is relevant. It's 17 days later, and, Samco has not charged my account, or shipped the rifle. NOT a Merry Christmas.
Old December 31, 2008, 02:22 AM   #34
foggy

Their homepage says because of high order volume add an extra 15-20 days for processing orders. Too bad, but the wait will be worth it for a k31. Looks like Samco needs to hire a few more employees.

http://www.samcoglobal.com/index.html
Old December 31, 2008, 11:56 AM   #35
The Lovemaster

Oh yeah, the wait is worth it. My K31 is a tack driver, and I've only ran a box of factory ammo through it so far (waiting on my dies from Midway). Those rifles are so choice.
Old December 31, 2008, 12:46 PM   #36
VonFireball

Quote:
(waiting on my dies from Midway)
Who sells bullets for reloading this cartridge?
Old December 31, 2008, 01:36 PM   #37
The Lovemaster

To the best of my knowledge, these rifles shoot .30 caliber bullets. My Sierra manual recommends slugging the barrel, though, because apparently bore diameter varies between guns.
Old December 31, 2008, 02:00 PM   #38
SP Shop Foreman

.30 caliber, virtually NO difference between bores other than normal barrel wear. Sierra .308 165gr is what a lot of us shoot.

Archives from the SP owner.

http://www.swissrifles.com/ammo/reload1.htm

http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/pierre/loaddata.html

http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/pierre/data.html

Paul
SP

www.swissproductsllc.com
Old December 31, 2008, 04:58 PM   #39
VonFireball

Quote:
.30 caliber, virtually NO difference between bores other than normal barrel wear. Sierra .308 165gr is what a lot of us shoot.
That's great. I load for a couple calibers that already use that same .30 cal bullet.

Does anybody make reasonably priced brass for this cartridge? All I can find is Norma, and it's bloody pricey.
Old December 31, 2008, 05:59 PM   #40
SP Shop Foreman

http://www.grafs.com/metallic/775
And there are others I'll post when I find them again.

SP

www.swissproductsllc.com
Old January 6, 2009, 01:00 AM   #41
Socrates

I ended up with ammo, and no rifle.

My debit account was charged by some scam magazine company 4 times, right after the first. To get the bank to back the filing, I had to cancel the debit card, and, that was the number that was used to charge my rifle with Samco. As of today, the 1/6/09, they had still not charged an order placed on 12/13/08

I'm currently waiting for a new card from the bank. NOT fun.

For what it's worth, all of this happened thanks to a bizrate.com computer card buy. As close as I can remember,
they had a 'surveyscam' where you had to deselect a bunch of magazines, or, you auto get free mags, and, as of the first, are then signed up for the mags they pick.

I canceled out of the survey, but, I suspect by placing the order, in the 'legal agreement' that I thought pretained to the actual items I selected, I some how gave them authorization for their scam.

If they send you the magazines, you can't return them.
Post office won't go for that.

You can try and call them, but, it took about 2 hours to finally get through their bull.
They promised to return the money. Sure. Checked the statement the next day, and, rather then a refund, they added another 44.00 charge to my account.

The charges show up as, for example
TWX*n2KSXN*SI MAGAZINE 800-205-9198

The 4 charge around over 100 dollars. If they sent out such charges to enough people, they could have a short term loan, for as much as they want, since the legal system would take forever to catch them, and, with debit cards, they actually have your money, at least for about the 2 weeks it takes for the bank to credit it back. Also, it took about 2 hours at WAMU for a manager to finally get through and file the report. WHAT a pain.
Old January 6, 2009, 10:52 AM   #42
Rick61

Shread the magazines, get a suitably sized box to put it all in & tape one of those *post paid* cards that fall out of magazines (or the postpaid envelopes from credit offers) to the outside & send it off. I occassionally send AMEX my old motorcycle tires as it beats paying the $5 disposal fee the shops charge.... A few months back I sent some morgage company 2 gallons of used engine oil...
If they're going to send me crap, I'm going to return the favor...
Old January 9, 2009, 04:08 PM   #43
Socrates

The company refunded 3 of the 4 charges, and, my bank is covering the other, and filing a complaint.

New card came in, but, thanks to work being a bit slow, I'm going to have to put the purchase on hold...
Old January 9, 2009, 07:05 PM   #44
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Closed for thread veer...

I'm sure that there are many excellent forums out there for discussing various debit card scams and such.

This one is about Curio & Relic Firearms.
Closed Thread