The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 31, 2009, 11:33 PM   #1
knoxville

Any tips for calling in Bobcats

Just starting this adventure and from what i hear they are tough to call in figured to ask some pro's that had done it a time or two
Old January 1, 2010, 12:53 AM   #2
FALPhil

A predator call that sounded like a rabbit under stress worked for me. My favorite was the Quaker Boy Screamin' Cottontail. In addition to bobcats, I could call in foxes and feral cats and dogs. I have not predator hunted in quite a while and I do not know if they still sell this call. The Screamin' Cottontail was so effective that I have had bobcats nearly jump into my lap.
Old January 1, 2010, 01:04 AM   #3
Nnobby45

My old wooden Circe jackrabbit model worked well when I bought it in the 1970's. And it still does.

I start out with some good loud screams. Pause, and do it again, then taper off to softer little pittiful cries with plenty of time in between. Never hunted coyotes enough to have the squeekers and coaxers, etc.

I live in Nevada and there are areas where coyotes have seen few, if any, callers. It can be quite easy. In areas where they've been called, the opposite is true---they can be rather hesitant. I trie to position myself on a hill where I can call them off a large flat and see 'em coming for a long ways. Of course, not everyone has that kind of terrain.
Old January 1, 2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Daryl

High pitched, busy sounding calls seem to work best.

Cottontail, bird, and rodent sounds will all work. Avoid any coyote vocalizations when calling for bobcats.

Continuous calling is usually best for cats because they get side-tracked pretty easily when the sound stops, so an e-caller is somewhat easier and more effective to use. An e-caller also minimizes movement of your hands, and cats pick up on small movements pretty easily. If you use hand calls, call more often with shorter breaks between calling sequences, and you might want to put something on your hands to make them harder to see.

Cats are patient, and can lay there and watch for a long time before committing to a call. Some will come in hard and fast, others will come in carefully, using any cover available. Watch closely for them.

Daryl
Old January 2, 2010, 12:08 AM   #5
knoxville

thank you !!!

Thanks for the tips everybody i'll put it all to the test. Good hunting
Old January 22, 2010, 04:08 PM   #6
knoxville

Seems i'm a great coyote caller and have shot seven since i started this adventure i'm kinda torn between shooting them when they come in i shoot them cause i figure a cat will see them dart off when they figure out it's a setup and i'm sure the blast of my rifle isn't any better. Damned if you do damned if ya don't i guess huh
Old January 22, 2010, 04:34 PM   #7
mr-geep

I use an electronic call of a Wood Pecker in distress...but it brings in the coyotes as well, and even the crows.
Old January 23, 2010, 03:56 AM   #8
Daryl

Quote:
Seems i'm a great coyote caller and have shot seven since i started this adventure i'm kinda torn between shooting them when they come in i shoot them cause i figure a cat will see them dart off when they figure out it's a setup and i'm sure the blast of my rifle isn't any better. Damned if you do damned if ya don't i guess huh
While I've let a lot of coyotes escape, it's generally not intentional.

Shoot them and keep calling. If I had a dollar for every time I killed a coyote on stand, and then called in another a few minutes later...

Not that shooting won't scare a nearby critter away, but not always. Keep calling.

Daryl
Old January 23, 2010, 12:04 PM   #9
sserdlihc

Have you tried...

HERE KITTY,KITTY KITTY!!
Old January 24, 2010, 12:13 AM   #10
knoxville

Oh yes just monday i called four in and got three in an hour i've got that part down. Two snuk in within five and ten yards it was a rush. I'm thinking about saying the hell with the bobcats...
Old January 24, 2010, 12:35 AM   #11

I know a guy who was calling turkeys and had a bobcat come up behind the tree he was against, reach around with a paw and claw his face. There might be something to that.
Old January 24, 2010, 12:50 AM   #12
jimbob86

I called one in accidentally while calling turkeys...... he was 20 feet away and fixing to pounce before I saw him.
Old January 24, 2010, 01:02 AM   #13
Chaz88

I don't know if it works for cats, but if you are after coyotes and happen to call in a farm dog, as long as it is not trying to bite you, let it stay. Often the coyotes will focus on the dog and come on a run to take the rabbit from it. If you are in snake country watch out for those. They don't have ears but can pick up the vibration in the ground and come for the rabbit also.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old January 28, 2010, 11:23 AM   #14
UniversalFrost

dying jackrabbit or the squeaker calls work for me. i throw a piece of rabbit pelt on some brush and set the caller up near it. works for all varmints in the area and bobcats down here come in running

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 28, 2010, 02:12 PM   #15
hagar

Took me a long time to call in a bobcat in AZ, probably called in over 200 coyotes before I got the first bob. I never could resist not whacking the coyotes, a friend of mine calls in a couple of cats every year, but he lets the coyotes go, I do not have that control. He also will sit on a stand up to an hour, I move after 15 minutes.

When I did call in the cat, it was early morning and coming in directly with the sun in my scope. I thought it was a coyote when I shot it, heck I was convinced it was a coyote till I went to pick it up. Called it in with a Circe cottontail, and I was calling softly and continously, it showed up about 10 minutes after I started calling. I did shoot another bob my buddy called with a Tally-Ho, neither of us saw it until a coyote came running in, and spooked it from under a bush, and the cat took off running with the coyote chasing it. Cat went up a saguaro, and I nailed the coyote and the cat. I have a picture somewhere. Also called a lion in a canyon going up Mount Ord, and missed it.
Old January 29, 2010, 10:22 AM   #16
knoxville

dang coyotes

4ebcd8039d3a.jpg

bdb205dcdb94.jpg
Old January 29, 2010, 11:37 AM   #17
Noonan

How bout a live chicken tied to a stake?
Old January 29, 2010, 01:17 PM   #18
Morgoroth

Sounds like Jurassic Park...
Old January 29, 2010, 02:22 PM   #19
langenc

Watch for an accomplished caller to be holding a seminar at a local sports shop-Cabelas, Sportsmas Warehouse or Gander. Ask em when there next seminar is scheduled for?? They may look at you like you have smoked something but...

Randy Anderson was in this neighborhood last weekend. He talked for nearly 3 hrs.

Get one of Randys how to DVDs and have a go at it. Shoot whatever rifle you got. Dont need a super delux. I noticed that most of Randys kills were 243.
Old February 1, 2010, 09:28 AM   #20
knoxville

Oh yes Mr Randy Anderson knows his stuff when it comes to calling and i'm not an ammature caller i think my problem is i'm hunting were there are rarely cats they seem to be all in the bottom areas that are private and just can't call them far enough so i think i'll go door to door lookin for permission
Old February 8, 2010, 04:40 PM   #21
GWIZZ777

tucksturkeycalls.com

Check out Tucksturkeycalls.com for some great predator calls.