The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 11, 1999, 03:34 PM   #1
Jack Straw

I just recently bought a Rossi lever action in .45LC. I've been casting the RCBS 45-250FN for my revolvers, but when I looked at the bullet I noticed that the nose (though flat)is slightly smaller than a large pistol primer and now I am wondering if that bullet will be safe in a tubular magazine. Anyone have experience with that bullet? Do semi wadcutters function well in lever actions? And finally, what would be a good short range (less than 75 yards) load for small southern whitetails? Thanks much. JS
Old August 11, 1999, 05:26 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Jack,
That bullet should be fine in a tube fed rifle. You want to stay away from spire points or pointed HP's. The flat nose can be a little smaller than the primer without a problem. A good example is the .308 flat nose bullet used in 30-30 lever actions. I have found that most of them are a little smaller than the primer. The primer can is very strong, it's when it is struck by a pointed object directly over the anvil that you have big problems.

I have had good luck with semi-wadcutters in a Win 94 as long as they are long enough. I had several feeding failures with a 200 gr SWC, but no problems with a 255 gr SWC.
Old August 11, 1999, 07:48 PM   #3
swifter...

Jack,
You should have no problems, but if it makes you nervous, look at Lee's version of the WFN. I've been casting it, and my revolver loves it.

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...

Old August 11, 1999, 10:28 PM   #4
Big Bunny

Just as an experiment, try mounting your suspect projectile on a dob-stick, put a primed case(NO powder or projectile !!) in a non-slip position on an anvil, use gloves and eye/ear protection...and hit it with a hammer a la recoil in a LA with a heavy load, the answer will be found fairly quickly...it won't go off, even with a pointed LEAD tip it will not ! Also on my 30/30W the ammo tends to offset in the magazine a bit under spring tension, again helping nervous L/A operators
to survive! I think you are OK from what you describe.Have fun.

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old August 11, 1999, 11:51 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Big Bunny,
I agree. I was going to say this also, but I didn't want to muddy the waters or have someone say, "Well I know a guy who had his rifle blow up ....". I think it would be a very rare occurance if a pointed bullet sets off another in a tubular fed rifle. It's a matter of physics. All of the cartridges in the tube are moving at the same time (actually standing still relative to the rifle) during the recoil and I don't think there is a lot of pressure on the primer in front. There is some pressure due to the spring follower and its inertia in the tube.

However, I think there is some danger (not much, but not zero either) in a bullet (or most of them) going off if the rifle is dropped very hard on the butt or barrel. In this case, the momentum of the bullets, as opposed to their inertia, is the problem. So, for this reason, I still think it would be wise to use only flat nosed bullets.
Old August 12, 1999, 09:34 AM   #6
Jack Straw

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I just wanted some second opinions before I went out and hurt myself or somebody else! JS