The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2007, 10:57 PM   #1
bloodtrail

New to Reloading Questions

Im seriously thinking of getting into reloading my own handgun rounds.
Now, I would like to load .38 specials, .357, and .40 S&W.
I read a thread on here that said that the Lee Classic Turret Press was a decent reasonably priced unit to start up with.
Based on the calibers I listed, would someone be able to make a "shopping" list of what all I would need to get started? Bare bones to do the job, and then add some items that may be nice to have as cash comes available!
Maybe reloading is a jump into the deep end of the pool right from the get go type of deal and I need it all.
But if someone could help me out by listing what I all would need based on that press that would be great!
Maybe thats not the press to get? But from what I read it seemed like a good unit and affordable to begin with!
Old January 14, 2007, 11:17 PM   #2
rwilson452

Basic stuff

There is a two part sticky at the top of this forum on reloading basics. I suggest you start there. Get the book and come back when your ready.
Old January 14, 2007, 11:28 PM   #3
CrustyFN

Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure Riser.
Lee Adjustable Charge Bar Auto Disk. ( not needed but nice to have )
Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure.
Lee Safety Prime Small and Large Primer Feeder.
Lee Classic Four Hole Turret Press.
Lee Deluxe Handgun Four Die Set ( your calibers ).
Extra turrets. ( easy to leave the dies set up and change turrets )
Scale.
Tumbler for brass.
Caliper.
Hammer type bullet puller. ( we all make mistakes )
A couple of reloading manuals.

You can buy the classic turret kit at Cabelas for $150. It includes the press with one turret, pro auto disk powder measure, auto disk riser, safety prime large and small, safety scale and a rifle charging die. If you buy the kit it will cover most of the list at the top. I think that should cover it except for components.
Rusty
Old January 14, 2007, 11:29 PM   #4
Daniel BOON

what I want for christmas

so you want to reload?
Lee sells package reload stuff, with just about everything u need to get started........but since u asked.
a press/scale/dies/brass/primers/powder/bullets/reload book. when I started, I c clamped the press to the kitchen table. it didn't very well.
a good reload book; rcbs's book takes you threw step by step of how-to reload. I can't think of anything else. when you get a ways down the road, and haven't blown anything up, you can tweek the reloads to fit the gun; if you were in this room right now, I would tell you to go buy/or get one at the library, a how-to book, look at it front and back, then decide what you need.
Old January 14, 2007, 11:36 PM   #5
cloudcroft

bloodtrail,

RTFM: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=230171

-- John D.

P.S. See Dave...I told you again! It never ends...
Old January 15, 2007, 12:43 AM   #6
JJB2

i like reloading off single stage press... my friend and mentor uses a lee turret press but i like the way i can see what i'm doing better than with the turret press.... actually i use two single stage presses side by side in my own method of reloading..... but it works for me.......