The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 30, 2005, 03:36 PM   #1
Cmu_Sniper

Recommended Powder for Shotshell

I have started to reload my own shotgun shells for the purpose of hunting. Im curious as to what powder I should use to reload 12 ga. 1-1/4 #5 lead shot.
Old November 30, 2005, 06:15 PM   #2
rg1

I like Winchester Super Field for 1 1/4oz. hunting loads. You can use Winchester Super Field for hunting loads and Winchester Super Target for 1 1/8 oz. hunting and target loads. Only 2 powders for all your needs. Plenty of data available in manuals and on-line for these two powders. You said "should use" but there are several powders available for your 12 ga. 1 1/4oz hunting loads. Check your manuals and choose one that is locally available to you. Win Super Field is a good one though and I find it takes up just the right volume in the shotshell to get a good crimp even with larger shot like no. 5.
Old November 30, 2005, 08:53 PM   #3
HSMITH

I like Super Field too, I've shot a lot of pheasants with it.

A couple years ago I bought some Hodgdon Longshot and loaded it. I found that it patterns better in my guns and can pick up 100 fps over Super Field easily. Since my initial testing it is all I use for field loads in 12 ga. Longshot also seems to have more of a 'push' type recoil where a lot of field loads have a 'whack' type recoil. I am very happy with Longshot.
Old November 30, 2005, 10:33 PM   #4
Rodger Peterson

I too, use and have been very happy with WST and WSF. This fall I went to get some WST and they were out. I bought some Clays on the stores recommondation and I am very pleased. It shoots as well as WST, but this stuff leaves my shotgun clean as a whistle. At one time I was out of WSF and tried some Unique. It shot very well also, but the red AA hulls ejected black.
Old November 30, 2005, 10:54 PM   #5
cobra81

I've never tried Winchester powder, but have had very good success with Alliant E3 and Clays. Green Dot and Unique are a lot dirtier, despite the label claiming to be "Cleaner Burning!" E3 is my choice for all my clays and trap shooting both 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz loads.
Old December 1, 2005, 12:05 AM   #6
Big Yac

my two favorite powders for my 1 1/4oz loads, which by the way I also use #5 shot for, are Alliant Herco or for some real screamers, Hodgdon Longshot
Old December 7, 2005, 08:43 PM   #7
ammunition-man

powder for reloading shot gun shells

I use red dot green dot for 12gauge shells
Old December 8, 2005, 05:09 PM   #8
Big Yac

Red Dot is too fast for 1 1/4oz loads. Here is Alliant's website and Hodgdon's website.
Old December 9, 2005, 10:45 AM   #9
Quantrill

I have always used Hi-Skor 700X and it has been fine. Quantrill