The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2006, 07:10 AM   #1
skeet47

Dillon 650 owners

If any of you have the same problem as me with your 650 making a mess I have made some solutions.For the media that falls from your case feeder I made acatcher that fits on the pipe holding the feeder.And for the primers everywhere I've developed a unit that catches 100% of the primers and puts them where you want them.It takes a little work but I think it's well worth it to keep your area neater while you load.
Old January 22, 2006, 11:42 AM   #2
Rivers

Please post pics of your mods.
Old January 22, 2006, 11:46 AM   #3
Rivers

Blasted slow server!
Old January 22, 2006, 12:30 PM   #4
snuffy

????????????????¿¿

What mess? Media falling from the case feeder? You do seperate the media from the brass BEFORE throwing it in the feeder, right? I never had any trouble with the primers missing the spent primer catcher. I don't see any problems.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 22, 2006, 05:26 PM   #5
skeet47

650 owners

If you've never had primers on the floor or media on the bench you must not be loading much.I do 30,000 rounds plus per month and my 650s throw primers everywhere.I have the dillon media separator and always use it but I still get a lot of media on the bench.
Old January 22, 2006, 08:02 PM   #6
BigSlick

Post a pic and details of your mods, I would like to see them.

I run 5-10k per month during the season, about half that otherwise. My 650 drops the occasional spent primer (maybe 2-3 per 1k if I'm hustling). I get maybe a tablespoon of media after running 3-4k, if I do a half-baked job of seperating the media. Normally I don't see any.

I would like to see the mods you describe though, if they're easy and well thought out I might make the same mods.

Thanks

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old January 28, 2006, 08:04 PM   #7
stellarpod

I'll bite.

What can you show us? We're interested.

stellarpod
Old January 28, 2006, 10:38 PM   #8
f-pig

650 Modifications

I've read about people making fairly complicated modifications by hooking up tubes to the hole the spent primers drop through and running it through a hole in the benchtop to a collection container. I tried and and didn't like it. I found a much simpler solution that.

I noticed that only the occassional primer missed the little blue collection bin. These were bouncin off the lip of the cup. I took a dremel tool and put a chamfer on the inside edge of the cup. Now any primer that hits the lip falls in instead of out. It is a no-risk, free fix.

As to the mess created from the two little holes in the case feeder, I took someone elses idea and attached two empty shotgun shells under the holes. (You can use duct tape, but I made a fancy bracket to hold them in place.) You almost never need to empty them, but they catch the occassional tumbler media bits that make it into the case feeder hopper.